GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,286
0 members and 2,286 guests
No Members online

Old 03-23-2018, 02:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Transferring Schools & Affiliation?

Hey guys! I’m currently a freshman at a small private school, but for my sophomore year, I’ll be transferring to a much larger state school! I’m currently debating whether I should affiliate with the chapter there or not. At my school, my chapter is probably mid-tier, however, it’s apparently in the top 5 at the state school. I’m a bit worried about the culture and how well I’ll fit in. Although I’ve always been a pretty decent fit for the sorority girl type here, I’m not sure how intense it is at larger state schools where Greek life is a lot more competitive?

Is it difficult to affiliate with your chapter? aka is it as difficult as it would be to go through rush at that school? Is there typically hazing (like, real hazing) for sisters who transfer and affiliate at larger school?

Also, how does the decision to try to affiliate work? I’ve been told I would transfer schools first and then make the decision by my EC, but how long do I have to make the choice? Or is that different depending on my chapter?

Thanks for the help! 💗 I love my sorority and can’t imagine suddenly not being part of Greek life but I’d be a bit anxious to try to affiliate if the process is going to be hard on me when I’m already transferring schools.

(Note: since I know a lot of people are very against this, no, I didn’t have any idea that I would end up transferring when I rushed or was initiated, but I wouldn’t change that if I could because I love my letters)
Old 03-23-2018, 07:02 AM
GreekChat Member

If you don't believe the process as outlined by your EC, contact your national HQ for full particulars. Every group has their own process. However, none require you to go thru recruitment again as you are already a member (I'm assuming an NPC group). You may be able to automatically affiliate or go up for a vote or some other process.Either way, you will always be a member of your group unless you resign.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:11 AM

Have you contacted the chapter at your soon to be new school? Send an email to their chapter prez and let them know the situation. You might even be able to connect with some of the new chapter’s sisters over the summer, if geography permits.

Also keep in mind that going from a small school to a large one is very different, and you yourself might discover that a large chapter is not something you feel comfortable in.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Hi klynne

I see from your intro post you're an Alpha Gam. Recommend you contact them.

I wouldn't worry about tiers as you transfer -- not nearly as much as whether you fit with the women in the chapter to which you'd affiliate. If affiliation turns out not to be for you, check to see if there is an established program for young alumnae to be involved in some way with the chapter; that might be another option for you.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

My chapter-which was very strong at a large state school-took transfers from every kind of school imaginable and integrated them into our chapter well. Especially at a big chapter, you'll hopefully be able to find some women you click with.

Definitely reach out to the chapter you're interested in affiliating with and see if you can meet some of them, if you don't know them already. Or if you know women in other chapters at that school, reach out to them to see what Greek life is like there-the expected time commitment, big events, etc.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey guys Thanks for the answers so far. I've already started talking with the chapter president, so I know the basics about the affiliation process, but most of it is on the technical "this is the process side". (It will be put to a vote by the chapter)

I was more curious to see if anyone who's been through the process/know someone who has been through it also transferred from a small school to a very large school. I guess I'm just feeling some anxiety over it and want some reassurance that it won't be a horrible process haha. I didn't mean it'll be "like recruitment" as in I'll have to go through recruitment again -- I meant more in terms of difficulty, ie. will affiliation be as hard as getting a targeted bid would be?

Thanks @DGTess for your input, that's really comforting to hear.

@clemsongirl Whoops, posted this before I saw your reply. Thanks for that, though, that's definitely good to hear! Would you recommend visiting the chapter this school year & explaining my situation or waiting until next year? I have a few friends in sororities at the school and they love greek life -- it seems amazing, if a little overwhelming compared to what I'm used to
Old 03-23-2018, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
You might also check out the dues structure and, if housed, does the chapter have a requirement for chapter members to live in. You wouldn't want to affiliate and then have to drop because you can't afford the dues.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

On the flip side, when moving to a much larger school it may be helpful and comforting to have sisters there. Good luck with your transition!

Last edited by APhi2KD; 03-23-2018 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity-
Old 03-24-2018, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

My experience with this is when a sister transferred to my large state school with a fairly competitive Greek syst. This member came from a small school with a laid-back system and 3 sororities on campus. She fit in SO well that you would have sworn she had pledged our chapter, not transferred. This was someone who knew no-one at our school.

A couple of tips, one that was already mentioned:

1) Find out what the dues are. They can and do vary so it's important to know if you can afford them without stress or strain.
2) Realize that transferring to a large school from somewhere smaller can be stressful PERIOD - Greek or not. You're in a larger environment with a lot more going on in general, so be gentle with yourself.
3) Talk to your friends in sororities about what it's like to be Greek there. Ask what the general "activity level" are re: social events, philanthropy activities and other member requirements. I found that the level of required involvement was pretty much the same across all sororities.
4) Give yourself time to find your place in your new chapter should you decide to go forward with affiliation. It might happen quickly or it can take time. Many Panhellenic sisters have written here about how it took some over a semester or even their first year to find their place and that's from pledging at that chapter.

Good luck!
Old 03-24-2018, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi Klynne. My daughter went from a private university to a state university for spring semester. The chapter sizes are fairly comparable, both chapters tend to bid friend groups and rush at both schools is a very similar experience.

My daughter inquired via email, stating that she was at the state school for one semester only. The chapter president responded quickly and was very welcoming. She offered my daughter the option to fully affiliate for spring and said there was also a spot available in the chapter house. The other option was to not affiliate but attend chapter meetings to learn about and be in touch with the chapter. My daughter chose to affiliate and live-in. I’m not sure if a decision went into allowing her to affiliate or if it was automatic. She may have been checked out via social media. Who knows? The new chapter made it really easy, not even needing a transcript. The only requirement was that my daughter provide an email from the president at her home chapter stating that she left as a member in good standing. She also had to officially disaffiliate from the home chapter for the semester.

Socially, it’s easier to transfer into a sorority at the beginning of the school year versus mid-year as my daughter did, so that’s a plus for you. At the state school, my daughter has her real-life sister living in the sorority house right next door, so that been beneficial. She’s returning to her private school in the fall but it’s neat that she’s now part of sorority life at 2 campuses. Good luck to you! Private message me if you need more information but really, just reach out to the chapter!
Old 03-25-2018, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

Have you reached out to your international headquarters yet? Most, if not all, sororities require official paperwork for an official transfer. Sometimes it can be generated from your chapter of initiation. In other sororities, it might need to come from the head office. That is why I am suggesting contacting your headquarters to find out exactly how the procedure works in your org.

My chapter had a couple of transfers during my 4 years. The transferees came to meals at the house, participated in some activities, and generally got to know us while we got to know them. We voted and extended the offer to become members of our chapter and they accepted. These sisters were treated as sisters from the beginning.