GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 2,105
2 members and 2,103 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 07-13-2010, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Potential New Members This Is Important

We use a computerized system to register potential new members at the school I volunteer at. I don't think that these girls realize how important the information is that they put in the system. Some of this information may be used by our Chapter and other Chapters to determine who is getting invited back to the next round of parties. With the new RFM system the Chapters are releasing a large amount of women and if we haven't gotten a good read on you we may be looking at this information and basing decisions on it. So I thought I would provide examples of a good one and a bad one.

Good One:

High School/College Activities: Associated Student Body, National Charity League,State Scholarship Federation,National Honor Society, Basketball-(9-10) Lacrosse(9-12)Link Crew,Fund A Cure Club, Safe Rides Club, Make A Wish Club,

High School/College Leadership Positions: Varsity Cheer Captain, Student Body Spirit Director, Younge Democrats President, National Honors Society for Dance Vice President, Fellowship of Christain Athletes Leadership Member

HIgh School/College Community Service Involvement: National Charity League:Publicity/Newspaper, Historian, Inspiration; notMykid: Teen Advisory Board Member, Social Chairman, Name Last Walk volunteer & organizer, Middle School Conference: developed curriculm, group leader and volunteer, GALA fundrasier volunteer; Service Learning: Thansgiving can food drive, Volunteer/Project Leader; Helping Hands : Volunteer at annual fundraiser, tutor; Stay a Live at 25: Volunteer, Member, Leadership; Community Service in foreign country: Volunteer, taught English, repaired roads, built a basketball court, Community Service in foreign country: Volunteer, planted trees, Animal Conservation, ; notMYkid Point of Life: Volunteer, graduate, and leader, National Young Leadership Conference, Boys and Girls Club: Camp Counselor, organizer

This is an example of a bad one and there are lots of women who do this. This was actually copied from an actual application and there are several of these:

High School/College Activities:
High School/College Leadership Positions:
HIgh School/College Community Service Involvement:

BTW, I took all the activities from 3 different people and took out any information that would make them recognizable. When you leave blanks on your application form it is not good. To give yourself the best possible advantage you need to put as much information on the application as possible. DO NOT leave the GPA blank or any of the activities. Take the time to fill out the application completely and accurately.

Last edited by AXOrushadvisor; 07-13-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-13-2010, 08:49 PM

I would tend to agree.

Also, when filling out your app, please don't put "I'm lazy, lol" in the High School Activities section.

Yes, that happened.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

The same can be said for the resume that these PNMs are sending their rec writers. I have received some that just make me go .

I get it that this is your "last summer" with friends. I understand that going to the pool, seeing movies and perhaps even your part time job are more fun that typing up a decent resume. But what I fear that the PNMs don't get is that without quality information on a resume I can not write a quality rec. Without a quality rec then your options may seriously be limited.

It is worth the effort.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I would tend to agree.

Also, when filling out your app, please don't put "I'm lazy, lol" in the High School Activities section.

Yes, that happened.

Can I put "I don't remember high school, I was too drunk" instead?

I'm actually filling out the form now to register and was wondering about some of the things that would be appropriate to list, particularly under the hobbies section.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm helping my sister out with recs right now, and am NONE too happy with our former high school. Everyone that works there has dropped off the face of the earth. My sister, our mom, and I have all tried calling and emailing in order to get a copy of her transcripts. The guidance counselor has gone on a vacation to Europe for 6 weeks, and the principal is not responding. The only people we've heard from are teachers (who can't access her transcripts), and the school Alumni coordinator, who can't access them either, but is trying to figure if he can temporarily just to help my sister out.

Blah.

Otherwise, IrishJunior will have a great recruitment application and hopefully a few recs.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parfait View Post

Can I put "I don't remember high school, I was too drunk" instead?

I'm actually filling out the form now to register and was wondering about some of the things that would be appropriate to list, particularly under the hobbies section.
OK, your first comment made me giggle, so I decided to help you out with your question.

As far as hobbies go, what is interesting about you? If you met someone (say at camp, through a friend, at church, etc) what do you share about yourself? Are you a runner and enjoy competing in 10Ks? Do you have a musical side? Any extensive travel? Like to salsa dance? Grow your own vegetables? Girl Scouts? Think of those things that you do in your spare time because you enjoy the activity, particularly those things that aren't offered through school. Those things start to make you more memorable and unique.

In other words, what makes "you" "you?" What makes you different that others? What would you want the sorority women to know about you?
Old 07-13-2010, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post
OK, your first comment made me giggle, so I decided to help you out with your question.

As far as hobbies go, what is interesting about you? If you met someone (say at camp, through a friend, at church, etc) what do you share about yourself? Are you a runner and enjoy competing in 10Ks? Do you have a musical side? Any extensive travel? Like to salsa dance? Grow your own vegetables? Girl Scouts? Think of those things that you do in your spare time because you enjoy the activity, particularly those things that aren't offered through school. Those things start to make you more memorable and unique.

In other words, what makes "you" "you?" What makes you different that others? What would you want the sorority women to know about you?
How about an obsession with makeup? jk

I am involved in quite a few activities, one of which is a passion of mine. Some are just for fun, others are volunteer organizations, I went ahead and listed all of them.

It actually doesn't ask about high school specific activities or leadership positions. It asks for activities/hobbies and awards/recognitions.

Hmm, here's a question: For the awards/recognitions, do they want anything for sports like "Won ribbons in XYZ sport" or "Competed/won in XYZ sport" or more along the lines of "10 zillion hours volunteer service at XYZ" and "Scholarship from 123 organization" instead?
Old 07-13-2010, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

Watch your spelling. I'm thinking of an application we got at MS State in which the girl had won all kinds of Baptist honors so the word was all over the page but she spelled it "Babtist" every time. So we're thinking that if she was such a big deal in the church, why can't she spell it and of course it became a running joke in the PH office.

*For GC oldtimers who may remember this: this was also the girl whom people were calling "Bubbles" because her application picture had her in a feathery pink wrap with bubbles behind her. For that matter, y'all, don't be the girl with the really weird feature (like a pit bull or a huge hat) in your photo that people remember so well that you pick up a nickname.

Somewhere on GC there's a thread that discusses odd recruitment applications.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:09 PM

I like to see specifics when PNMs are listing awards/honors.

Example: Patty PNM played softball all 4 years of HS and has some pretty cool softball-related accomplishments.

On her recruitment app, I'd prefer for her to NOT just put "Varsity Softball." Too general.

Instead, Patty should be specific about her softball accomplishments and put "Varsity Softball 4 Year Varsity Letterwoman, First Team All Conference, 2009-2010 Team Captain.

If you have great accomplishments, your recruitment app is not the place to be modest and just say "I played softball."

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
I'm helping my sister out with recs right now, and am NONE too happy with our former high school. Everyone that works there has dropped off the face of the earth. My sister, our mom, and I have all tried calling and emailing in order to get a copy of her transcripts. The guidance counselor has gone on a vacation to Europe for 6 weeks, and the principal is not responding. The only people we've heard from are teachers (who can't access her transcripts), and the school Alumni coordinator, who can't access them either, but is trying to figure if he can temporarily just to help my sister out.

Blah.

Otherwise, IrishJunior will have a great recruitment application and hopefully a few recs.

I don't post often, but I wanted to suggest calling the district office for transcripts. The office is open year round. It should be easy to find the number in the phone book in the government pages under schools.

Good luck
Old 07-13-2010, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

If you have great accomplishments, your recruitment app is not the place to be modest and just say "I played softball."
This.

I once wrote a rec for a girl who listed "Blue and Gold club", but didn't elaborate on what that was. Sounded to me like some sort of spirit group that you just signed the clipboard to join, so I just skimmed right over it.

Come to find out "Blue and Gold Club" is the fundraising arm of the school (its private) that is comprised mostly of alumni. However, 1 student is selected through a lenghty application/interview process to also sit on the board and this PNM was the one chosen from her senior class. Not only must she have been impressive to make that organization, but the experience, leadership, and organizational skills that she would have obtained being on that board for a year would have been very impressive on a sorority recommendation.

Too bad no one knew that, since she didn't tell us.

** note- I changed the name of the org to protect that school and PNM.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post
This.I once wrote a rec for a girl who listed "Blue and Gold club", but didn't elaborate on what that was. Sounded to me like some sort of spirit group that you just signed the clipboard to join, so I just skimmed right over it.

Come to find out "Blue and Gold Club" is the fundraising arm of the school (its private) that is comprised mostly of alumni. However, 1 student is selected through a lenghty application/interview process to also sit on the board and this PNM was the one chosen from her senior class. Not only must she have been impressive to make that organization, but the experience, leadership, and organizational skills that she would have obtained being on that board for a year would have been very impressive on a sorority recommendation.

Too bad no one knew that, since she didn't tell us.
Oh, this is true too. We had one girl awhile back who had "Color Connection" on her application, no details at all. We found out later that it was a select group of dancers who got to dance in the Opening Ceremonies of the Atlanta Olympics.

Brag on yourself!!! Just don't exaggerate, because that usually gets found out.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I second the comment about application pictures. Not only with the silly things, but I specifically remember how surprised we were with the "seductive" pictures that were sent. I realize it might be your favorite picture of yourself but showing cleavage, mid drift or too much thigh isn't appropriate for recruitment application pictures. It sounds obvious but it happens SO often. There's nothing wrong with flattering pictures, thats great, but it shouldn't be seductive.

Sorry if it sounds like a bit of a rant, this has always just been a little pet peeve of mine.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

What I currently have (still able to change) is along the lines of this: Cow Tipping* sub-activity A/sub-activity B, Type of Cow, Town Name swim team, volunteer work, Volunteer Organization 1, Volunteer Organization 2, Volunteer Organization 3, etc.
That's not a complete list, just a general idea.
I do Cow Tipping for fun and competition, I'm not entirely sure if what I have makes a distinction or if it matters.

Then they have a section for achievements which I listed volunteer awards and scholarships received.

*Cow Tipping, obviously not being the sport, just an example.
Also cow tipping is an individual sport, I was not on a team for it and did not participate in a league, although I did compete.

Last edited by Parfait; 07-13-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by couggirl View Post
I don't post often, but I wanted to suggest calling the district office for transcripts. The office is open year round. It should be easy to find the number in the phone book in the government pages under schools.

Good luck
She went to a small private school. No luck. Good idea though! I'll tell my mom to contact someone at the affiliated church, and see if they can give some insight or advice.