GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,222
1 members and 1,221 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 02-24-2020, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Quote:
Another one was talking to a girl and asked "oh how would your friends describe you" and this girl goes "crazy, insane, funny" and in an attempt to further the convo she said "oh what is the craziest thing you've ever done" thinking it might lead to something like a PNM saying she went sky diving or something. The PNM goes "I can't legally tell you." I have no idea if this girl got a bid but that is the last thing you say to a sister rushing you!

Cookiez17-Not sure how any sorority recruitment school could have prepared sisters for that answer!
Old 02-24-2020, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

We have another "B" to add to the list of best-avoided recruitment topics -- add "bail" to booze, boys, and Bible.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

OK this is a funny one! Two women at Bentley University dressed up as guys to go through virtual fraternity recruitment. Didn’t last long.
https://www.intheknow.com/2020/09/23...tment-meeting/
Old 09-24-2020, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I love it. I know that there is an old story about two fraternity brothers going through in person recruitment many years ago. I'll try to find it.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ I posted that, if it helps you search! I'm too lazy to search for it tonight!
Old 09-24-2020, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
This is definitely my "bestest" recruitment story...

In the mid-80's, when I was a collegian, we received a phone call from the Panhellenic Office in between the first and second parties of Round One: Two fraternity men, named Pat and Chris, had officially registered for sorority rush under their real names. No one realized that they were guys until they showed up to meet their Rho Chis at the first house on that group's schedule. The Panhellenic office told us to be polite to them and not to make a scene, for the sake of the legitimate PNMs. An administrator was being sent to either our house or their 3rd scheduled party, to intercept the guys and pull them out of the group, but she definitely wouldn't get there before our party started.

We all tried to get a discrete look out the window as the group lined up on the sidewalk outside our house. First in line were the 2 Rho Chis, looking really put out as they clutched their clipboards. A few feet away, in the front of the line, were the 2 guys...and this was classic. They were definitely sporting "what not to wear" outfits...ugly wigs, elbow purses like Queen Elizabeth, floral house dresses, and sensible pumps. One had a straw hat with a flower on the brim, and their make-up left a lot to be desired...especially the big, round, pink circles of blush on each cheek. The PNMs were lined up a safe distance down the sidewalk and looked completely befuddled and even more nervous than usual. The guys, who were well-known in the Greek community, had huge smiles and were eagerly and patiently waiting.

As they came in, we paired them off with a couple of steadfast members who steered them into the TV room for conversation, instead of the living room. I'm not even sure they realized this was a "snub" because the next day the campus newspaper ran a front-page story on the whole debacle and we were really happy because we got some great PR out of the whole adventure...one of the guys was quoted as saying the "Gamma Phi Betas were the friendliest house and were the nicest to us."
I lied...here it is! It's back on page 76, and led to some follow-up discussion...the best part was that another GCer whose sorority was right next door also remembered this event and confirmed that by asking if this was at Maryland, which it was!

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 09-24-2020 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

And in today's climate, sororities might even have invited them back to the next party... because inclusion and diversity.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChioLu View Post
OK this is a funny one! Two women at Bentley University dressed up as guys to go through virtual fraternity recruitment. Didn’t last long.
https://www.intheknow.com/2020/09/23...tment-meeting/
I admit that I have no sense of humor about this prank at all. We would be incensed if men treated a sorority and rush with disrespect like this. Sigh.... maybe I am just getting too old. I better go make sure no one is on my lawn.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
We have another "B" to add to the list of best-avoided recruitment topics -- add "bail" to booze, boys, and Bible.
FTW
Old 04-24-2021, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Considering that this is the first year of nearly every campus adopting virtual recruitment, I'd hope that there's at least one or two funny, crazy or strange tales to share.
Old 04-25-2021, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

They didn't make it to this thread, but I've heard tales of PNMs lying in bed during their Zoom, talking with people off-camera, not talking with their recruiter, wearing pajamas, etc.
Old 08-03-2022, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

bumping for recruitment 2022!
Old 08-04-2022, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesaver View Post
Yeah, I have asked prospects this same question and gotten the following:
Me; So where do you come from?

Them:
"My mothers womb."
"The black pit of nothingness"
"The shuttle bus that dropped me off."
and
"Laredo, Texas. The second largest border city on the 1900 mile US/Mexican Border, and the largest inland port in the nation."

Takes all kinds.....
LOL at the “shuttle bus” one! Maybe she was nervous?