GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,186
2 members and 2,184 guests
PrettyBoy

Old 01-10-2022, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Experiencing the mom side this year

Been awhile since I posted here, but I have a daughter who is a college freshman. I never figured she'd want to do the sorority thing, but the whole Greek system is pretty low key at that school with only a handful of GLOs. As fall term progressed, she became more open to it then actively interested in it. They have deferred recruitment at the school, so that is only just now happening this week. She's actually interested in my sorority, and she knows quite a few of the Sisters there, though I've suggested she stay opened minded and not go somewhere just because I did (and she agrees with all of that, has been to pre-recruitment events with other groups, etc). So this is all pretty surreal being on this side of things. I'm hoping she finds exactly what she needs and wants and can't wait to get updates on how it's going.

Last edited by Elsinore; 01-10-2022 at 02:41 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-10-2022, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

We are pulling for both of you! In some ways, it is tougher on the moms, because we are at the mercy of our daughters to fill us in. Here's hoping your girl finds her people! Please let us know.
Old 01-10-2022, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Great attitude, Mom!! With so much about legacy policies changing, I don't even know that it is useful to acknowledge legacy status on recruitment paperwork. Maybe just let your own chapter know. Good luck!! Let us know how things go for her.
Old 01-10-2022, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta
We are pulling for both of you! In some ways, it is tougher on the moms, because we are at the mercy of our daughters to fill us in. Here's hoping your girl finds her people! Please let us know.
Thanks! She asked if she could give me a call on Bid Day, and I said she could let me know however much she wanted me to know along the way. I'm excited for her and super curious, but want her to have the space to do what she needs/wants to do without feeling like I'm hovering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady
Great attitude, Mom!! With so much about legacy policies changing, I don't even know that it is useful to acknowledge legacy status on recruitment paperwork. Maybe just let your own chapter know. Good luck!! Let us know how things go for her.
That's pretty much all I've done. She's a good student and has a lot of campus involvement, so with deferred recruitment, she's had a chance to meet a lot of people both in and out of the Greek system there. But she has to find her own tribe, and I'll happily wear a mom pin from whatever group she ends up with.

Apparently they're doing a hybrid recruitment due to covid, so the first round will be virtual, but later rounds will (at least at this point) be in person. I know the virtual thing has worked ok, and I helped do some virtual mock recruitment stuff last year, but I do hate that covid is still impacting recruitment so much.
Old 01-15-2022, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

So...4 houses, first night was virtual and she had a good time. She was invited back to 2 of them for second round, a little surprised by one that cut her, but it was not a huge heartbreak as she likely wouldn't have been a good fit there anyway. Second night for philanthropy she went to my house and another and had a great time at both. She was invited back to both for pref last night. At the end of the night she realized she just really wouldn't want to take a bid from one house, so she SIP'd, but wouldn't tell me which one, because she didn't want to jinx anything lol. There were some things that really touched her and almost made her cry at one house's pref, but she wouldn't tell me what it was because it would give it away. She was very nervous, and the anticipation was killing me, but this morning she got a bid to....

ADPi!!!

I'm beyond thrilled for her and excited to get to share this with her!!
Old 01-15-2022, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

Congratulations to you and your daughter!
Old 01-15-2022, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

How great! Congratulations!
Old 01-15-2022, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes! Congratulations to you both!
Old 01-15-2022, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats to both of you and what a big relief things worked out! Big kudos to your DD too for not mentioning anything until she found out.
Old 01-15-2022, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

So thrilled for both of you!
Old 01-16-2022, 12:45 PM

Congrats!
Old 01-16-2022, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks all! I still had my bid day sweatshirt from all those years ago, so I gave that to her today. It was fun to recreate that moment when I got mine
Old 01-17-2022, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsinore View Post
Thanks all! I still had my bid day sweatshirt from all those years ago, so I gave that to her today. It was fun to recreate that moment when I got mine
That is just so cool!

Congratulations, Elsinore, Legacy Daughter, and Alpha Delta Pi!

(yes, I'm channeling the rush threads of bygone years, when GC would be alive with colors & symbols on Bid Days!)
Old 01-17-2022, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsinore View Post
I love this! Congrats to both of you and here’s hoping things settle down so she can have a good experience in college.