GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,353
1 members and 1,352 guests
Cookiez17

Old 07-19-2005, 08:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Angry As minorities move to suburbs, hate follows

http://www.freep.com/news/metro/mino...e_20050718.htm
(Link is good for only 14 days)

This article is from the Detroit Free Press

As minorities move to suburbs, hate follows

Racial tensions rise with population changes
July 18, 2005

BY NIRAJ WARIKOO
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

They've had enough.

For three years, Reginald and Lori Doster have put up with racial slurs, KKK graffiti and an arson attack that terrified their daughter.

So next month, the African-American couple plan to leave their Taylor home, taking with them bitter memories of living on a predominantly white block.

The Taylor case is one of a string of recent incidents in which black people are being greeted with racial violence after they move into neighborhoods with no or few African Americans. With Detroit's black population increasingly leaving the city for the suburbs, it's a problem some fear may continue. And it comes at a time when the issue of minorities moving in next door has become widely debated.

On June 29, ABC-TV canceled a series it had been hyping called "Welcome to the Neighborhood," a reality show that featured white evangelical Christians choosing from a diverse group of families to move into a home on their block. Some of the episodes ABC had planned to air showed white neighbors making bigoted statements toward minorities. After pressure from fair-housing groups, the network pulled the series.

In metro Detroit meanwhile, a series of anti-black incidents in recent weeks has raised concerns with civil rights groups, police and residents.

"It's ridiculous that someone in this country would have to deal with this," Reginald Doster, a computer administrator, said at his Taylor home last week. "You're dealing with ignorance."

•In Trenton two weeks ago, police reported that two crosses were burned on consecutive nights on the lawn of a home owned by an African-American man who moved in the week before with his white wife and their two children.

•In Warren last month, an African-American family came home to discover someone had trashed their house and scrawled its walls with white-power slogans.

Police continue to investigate both incidents, but such cases can often be hard to solve. In the Trenton incident, police nabbed two men shortly after the second cross-burning, but released them. They're now waiting for the lab results of some evidence, said Lt. Greg Plagens. In Warren, police are waiting for lab results, said Sgt. Jeff Knoblauch.

In the Doster case on Wednesday, a federal judge sentenced a 33-year-old Taylor man, Michael Richardson, to four years in prison for lying during a grand jury investigation into an arson at the home. No one has been charged in the arson. But federal investigators say Richardson lied about who may have set the fire.

According to court records, days after the Dosters bought the home, someone broke a window and poured gasoline through it. Much of the home was damaged.

"This fire was just a part of a months-long campaign to drive the Dosters out of the neighborhood," said federal prosecutors in a report. The Dosters spent thousands of dollars to clean up the home and redecorate it. In October 2002, someone scrawled "KKK" on the side of their home.

And in the months following, investigators and the Dosters said, the pattern continued. Kids taunted Lori Doster with racial slurs, and someone tore up their tires.

The harassment took a psychological toll. Reginald Doster had trouble sleeping. The couple's daughter, who was 9 at the time of the arson attack, was afraid to sleep in her bedroom, which faced the back of the house. And their 14-year-old son, who had been an honor student, saw his grades slip.

"I didn't understand it," said their daughter, Vianca, about the arson attack.

Her mother, Lori Doster, added, "She didn't know what race was."

"Until we moved here," said Reginald Doster.

Some of their white neighbors acknowledge that there is some racism in the area, but they say what happened to the Dosters was wrong.

"I hear people talking, you hear people saying" a racial slur, said Audrey Emery, 67, who is white and lives a couple of houses down from the Dosters. "My feeling is I have nothing against blacks ... I know a lot of black people. We're like brothers and sisters."

Emery said she felt bad when the Dosters' home was attacked.

"This is a free country. You can move where you want," she said. "It's just wrong."

It's also against the law, say civil rights activists. But when the racial demographics of a community change, violence may increase, said an official with the Southern Poverty Law Center.

In metro Detroit, the problem of black people encountering racial violence when they move into white neighborhoods goes back decades, say historians. One day in September 1925, a mob of hundreds of whites rushed the Detroit home of Ossian Sweet, a black doctor, who had just moved into a white neighborhood. And during the post-war era, many blacks were hassled after moving into all-white blocks.

In Trenton, Warren and Taylor, as with other Detroit suburbs, from 1990 to 2000 the African-American population increased, according to U.S. census figures. In Taylor, the African-American population jumped 93%, to almost 9% of the city's population, compared to 4% in 1990.

"It sort of goes in phases," said Shanna Smith, head of the National Fair Housing Alliance, about such incidents. Her Washington, D.C.-based group helped convince ABC to drop the controversial TV show about minorities moving into a white neighborhood. The local office of the alliance receives about 150 complaints of housing bias every year, but that figure also includes cases in which blacks and other minorities are denied opportunities to move into a neighborhood.

Across the state, there were 276 hate crimes related to race and ethnicity in Michigan for 2003, according to the FBI. But it's unclear which of those specifically dealt with minorities moving into white suburbs.

James Netter, a real estate agent from Wayne who is African American, said government must deal strongly with racial attacks. He remembers that in 1996, a church in Wayne with a largely African-American congregation was defaced with swastikas. The recent incidents concern him.

"My daughter is there in Iraq fighting for democracy and freedom, and yet she couldn't come to Trenton and buy a house in peace," said Netter. "What hypocrisy."

White residents are also upset by the racism.

"There's no place in society for those acts," said Heather Holland, pastor of St. Philip Lutheran Church in Trenton. "It just saddens me and makes me angry."

For the Dosters, a sort of resignation has set in. In their family room lies a stack of cardboard boxes they will soon fill to move into a Taylor neighborhood they hope will be more accommodating.

"I'm still ticked off, but what can you do?" said Reginald Doster. "This is what happens in America."
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-19-2005, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Old 07-19-2005, 09:09 AM
GreekChat Member

It makes me embarassed and ashamed to be from this area. I grew up in Warren and live very near Trenton and was shocked to hear about those incidences. I admit that I have neighbors who make comments when minorities move into the neighborhood and we get into arguments about it. My daughter is so sensitive toward others though. Her best friend is an African American girl whose parents I'm good friends with now. There are only a handful in their school at all. My daughter told me the last week of school that one of the girls has a white mom and she is worried that other kids will harass her when they find that out.

Taylor though, that doesn't surprise me a bit. There are parts that are nice, but much of it is high crime, low lifes and the city has a bad reputation for a lot of things. It wouldn't surprise me if there were skinheads, KKK, etc going on there.

I just don't get how humans can treat other humans that way.

Dee
Old 07-19-2005, 11:31 AM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!
Old 07-19-2005, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Doesn't surprise me, unfortunately. My own family (native Detroiters) say some not horrible but certainly not good things about black people sometimes. And they are all well-educated, intelligent people. Now, they would NEVER burn a cross or something like that, but I just think a lot of native Detroiters and people in the area are really ignorant and just don't even realize it. My husband is Puerto Rican - he's really dark because he's got African blood. I've started reminding my family that my babies will be part African and it embarrasses them and shuts them up real quick.

There is an ad here in the NYC area for the equal Housing authority (I haven't seen it but Mr. xo_kathy has) of a white guy sitting at a desk making phone calls about an apartment. He uses different accents and names that fit the accent (Jose Gonzalez, Kim Li, etc.) and keeps getting told the apt. is no longer available. Then he calls as himself - Joe Smith or something - and lo and behold, the apt. is still available! It's so sad...
Old 07-19-2005, 12:49 PM
Banned

I don't understand. You read all these things about stuff happening to black people and other minorities but we don't ever hear on GC about the stuff they do to us (robbing old ladies, raping women, stealing little kids bicycles, crack dealing, shooting 7-eleven store clerks, strangling little kids-these are all thing I've seen happen on Tv in the past 6 months and it's all black people that have commited these crimes) The news even has this thing called "thug alert". And they always have some drugged out black people on there who have bloodshot eyes that they're looking for. Just the other day there were these two crack dealing black juveniles who escaped from juvy and went and robbed a walmart.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cashmoney
I don't understand. You read all these things about stuff happening to black people and other minorities but we don't ever hear on GC about the stuff they do to us (robbing old ladies, raping women, stealing little kids bicycles, crack dealing, shooting 7-eleven store clerks, strangling little kids-these are all thing I've seen happen on Tv in the past 6 months and it's all black people that have commited these crimes) The news even has this thing called "thug alert". And they always have some drugged out black people on there who have bloodshot eyes that they're looking for. Just the other day there were these two crack dealing black juveniles who escaped from juvy and went and robbed a walmart.

I guess I could post my stories of what you just described (robbing old ladies, raping women, stealing little kids bicycles, crack dealing, shooting 7-eleven store clerks, strangling little kids, etc.) but it would be all white people committing the crimes against other white people though. Oh yeah, I almost forgot about the drugged out, bloodshot eyed meth heads that get arrested all the time and are on the news every night for something (ie robbery, sttealing, blowing crap up, etc.).

Oh well - there goes your theory. I guess everybody has a few bad apples.

Last edited by Honeykiss1974; 07-19-2005 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
*SMH*

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by preciousjeni
*SMH*
I wonder what that means?
Old 07-19-2005, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Honeykiss1974
I guess I could post my stories of what you just described (robbing old ladies, raping women, stealing little kids bicycles, crack dealing, shooting 7-eleven store clerks, strangling little kids, etc.) but it would be all white people committing the crimes against other white people though. Oh yeah, I almost forgot about the drugged out, bloodshot eyed meth heads that get arrested all the time and are on the news every night for something (ie robbery, sttealing, blowing crap up, etc.).

Oh well - there goes your theory. I guess everybody has a few bad apples.

Quote:

I personally believe that the reason why so many of us are single are mainly because of things that do not even have to do with those cited in the article. but large more serious issues. (i.e. the large % of our men in prison, education and wage difference, etc.)

Who is "our men"?
Old 07-19-2005, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by madmax
Who is "our men"?
LOLOL - Let's see a thread with a serious discussion vs a silly rant of what someone see on TV so therefore generalizes everyone to be that way.

Nice try though *pats madmax on the head*

Last edited by Honeykiss1974; 07-19-2005 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi. I'm white and I don't suck.

Seriously. WTF is wrong with people.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:55 PM

Quote:
LOLOL - Let's see a thread with a serious discussion vs a silly rant of what someone see on TV so therefore generalizes everyone to be that way.

Nice try though *pats madmax on the head*
Oh ok, your inconsistent posts are just silly rants.

Was your Bill Cosby thread a silly rant?

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ighlight=cosby
Old 07-19-2005, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier
I wonder what that means?
Shaking my head.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jubilance1922 Send a message via Yahoo to jubilance1922
Like someone said, this behavior does not surprise me. The Detroit-area is one of the most racially segregrated areas in the country.

Just more proof that racism is alive and well in the 21st century.

I'd be more concerned if a convicted sex offender lived in my neighborhood, but I guess everyone has their own concerns.