GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,540
2 members and 1,538 guests
*winter*, speedsters

Old 01-10-2018, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Making it on time to the houses in the cold Indiana winter (with full buses, meaning the PMN's have to walk/run) is something that that I heard is a big stressor about recruitment week in the past. I wish IU Panhel could find a way to make it easier to go between houses in the cold (on top of the stress of being at your best once you get there, it makes recruitment week hard for many PMN's). In the cold, many end up sick after the week is done from the lack of sleep, stress of recruitment and starting the new semester classes. Hoping for good weather and good luck to all in the next round!!
Old 01-10-2018, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, the travel between houses is always difficult at IU. My goddaughter said she had to run to her last house on Saturday and barely made it because the bus was full. I don't know what the solution is, but I wish they could supply more rush buses or something. Best of luck to everyone this coming weekend!
Old 01-10-2018, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossLadyAKA View Post
In Indiana? We're supposed to get maybe an inch on Friday total.
Yes that’s what it said yesterday. I just looked again and they changed it to 1 to 3 during the day and 1” in the evening. I still have the screenshot from when I sent it to my daughter yesterday. I’m glad they changed it.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

As if there isn't enough stress going through recruitment in horrible weather, but now measles can be added to the mix:

https://www.heraldtimesonline.com/ht...3e912f157.html

DaffyKD
Old 01-10-2018, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes there is a set quota this year. Sororities were only asked if they would take any QAs. We have not been told what quota is since we won't know how many are still in the process on Sunday.

Yes lots of snow predicted. I'm a bit worried about traveling back to Bloomington on Friday night. Hopefully it will miss us completely.

As for women not getting a full schedule, based on conversations with the Rho Gammas, grade cuts were for real this year. Just because PanHellenic allows someone to go through the process, it doesn't mean the individual sororities will pass through someone with low grades. (not that I know each and every issue with each PNM, but the Rho Gammas happened to mention that grade cuts were heavy this year).

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 01-10-2018, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

as for the measles, we all received a note about this from the university. Add the flu and a stomach virus to the illnesses floating around.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
Yes there is a set quota this year. Sororities were only asked if they would take any QAs. We have not been told what quota is since we won't know how many are still in the process on Sunday.

Yes lots of snow predicted. I'm a bit worried about traveling back to Bloomington on Friday night. Hopefully it will miss us completely.

As for women not getting a full schedule, based on conversations with the Rho Gammas, grade cuts were for real this year. Just because PanHellenic allows someone to go through the process, it doesn't mean the individual sororities will pass through someone with low grades. (not that I know each and every issue with each PNM, but the Rho Gammas happened to mention that grade cuts were heavy this year).
My daughters group was 22 before break and 17 when they returned. I also know 2 of her friends registered for recruitment but are deciding to move home (they are out of state) and change schools next year so they did not return early for rush.
Out of curiosity my daughter had a semester GPA of 3.7 but carried a GPA into her 1st year from a Trig class she took as a Senior at her High School that she did less than stellar at lol. I think like a 2.5 but it brought down her cumulative GPA. Was she right in using her cumulative and not her semester GPA? I know it doesn't matter at this point I was just curious.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I would think they'd use official semester GPAs from the Records office, not individually reported GPAs. Although your daughter adjusted her's down and was overly honest, someone could fudge theirs upward -- so I would guess the Panhellenic office will have access to official IU-only GPAs. It's very likely that she signed a grade release form...that's typical.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't think of that. I just knew she had to report to her RG before rush and write it on her white card. Thank you for explaining.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
Out of curiosity, what would happen if a PNM were to Pref 1 or 2 houses that do not take QAs, and did not match? Do many houses decline to take QAs? I'm probably overthinking, but can't help but worry.

Safe travels to you, ForeverRoses!
Old 01-10-2018, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
I would think they'd use official semester GPAs from the Records office, not individually reported GPAs. Although your daughter adjusted her's down and was overly honest, someone could fudge theirs upward -- so I would guess the Panhellenic office will have access to official IU-only GPAs. It's very likely that she signed a grade release form...that's typical.
When I worked at a school with deferred recruitment, we verified every GPA when we gave the PNM lists to Panhel and IFC, and when aspirants for NPHC groups signed release forms for their records to be released to the chapter. You would be surprised (or maybe not, depending on how cynical you are) about how many people fudge upward pretty significantly.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaPiPhi View Post
Out of curiosity, what would happen if a PNM were to Pref 1 or 2 houses that do not take QAs, and did not match? Do many houses decline to take QAs? I'm probably overthinking, but can't help but worry.

Safe travels to you, ForeverRoses!
I have no idea! I am so in a bubble just for the sorority that I advise right now that most of what I know about other chapters is from the Rho Gammas and Student Life & Learning.
But honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about the numbers game. The numbers will drive your crazy.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

I just called MJ insurance's Sorority Division in Indianapolis to discuss some chapter house coverage changes, and their voice mail said they're closed today due to inclement weather.

Any changes to the IU recruitment schedule?
Old 01-12-2018, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Classes are going on like normal so I’m guessing recruitment will as well.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
I'm not surprised. IU pretty much never cancels classes.