GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,639
3 members and 1,636 guests
MSKKG, PiperJarma, speedsters

Old 09-09-2012, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

LSAT's

I did do a search and got back nada...so here goes.

Anyone taken the LSAT's and if so suggestions on how to study for it?

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 09-09-2012, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jmaureen...ull-ever-make/

I really cannot emphasize enough that law school is not a good idea in this economy. I wish you the best if you choose to pursue it.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jmaureen...ull-ever-make/

I really cannot emphasize enough that law school is not a good idea in this economy. I wish you the best if you choose to pursue it.
Thanks sister.

I'm not sure if I would actually go, but attending has been a dream since I was a kid. I would just like to take the LSAT's and actually see how I do. My friend went to law school (in AZ) but it took her forever to get admitted because while her LSAT score wasn't low (in my book), 145 I think, it was too low for the state schools. If that makes sense.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 09-10-2012, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

145 is really terrible. My suggestion would be to pay for the Kaplan course.

You still need a few points before even most T4 schools will consider you.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 09-10-2012, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Agree with all of the above...law school is a dicey choice at this time unless you just want to go for the intellectual exercise & have nothing better on which to spend your money. But if you are determined, I also agree w/the advice to invest in the Kaplan course. It was the best $1k I ever spent (I had 2 kids & worked full time when I took the course so I needed the discipline of a course rather than self-study...it helped me increase my score dramatically & I ended up w/a full tuition & books scholarship).

Last edited by dzandiloo; 09-10-2012 at 09:53 AM. Reason: ETA: $1k was the price of the Kaplan course in 1999...no idea what it is now, but still believe it's a good investment.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

145 is not a great score. It is below average. And keep in mind that a large percentage of people who take the LSAT don't even attend law school (myself included). Therefore, a 145 can look even worse if the only people applying to law school have scores way above that mark.

I can only speak for myself, but I perform better if I study and prep on my own. I'm actually doing that now with the CPCUs. However, some people need the structure of a class. Your best bet is to truly analyze how you work personally, and figure out the best way to study.

My one suggestion would be to give yourself plenty of time to study (at least a few months), and work out a studying schedule. I told myself that I would study for at least 5 hours every week, and I kept a calendar where I recorded my hours. Most weeks I studied more than that.

If you do take a course and they provide you with books, don't be afraid to purchase extra study materials. I bought quite a few books, including 'LSAT for Dummies,' which actually helped me a great deal.

I won't lie to you.. The test is NO FUN. It was the most mentally draining test I've ever taken. You have to be able to switch your brain from one topic to the next very quickly. Practice, practice, practice! Take timed practice tests, and pretend as though it's the real deal.

As I said before, I didn't end up going to law school. After the LSAT and prior to applying, I did some research about law school, the percentage of students who finish, and the percentage of students who finish and actually end up practicing law. The last statistic is surprisingly low. I won't discourage you from attending, but it's a lot of money (just the LSATs and applications alone can cost a fortune) and you should make sure that this is what you really want. I found out that studying law and practicing it are two completely different things.

I ultimately decided to get my Paralegal Certificate from Northeastern, and I worked in law offices for about a year. I hated it. Nothing about it made me want to go to law school.

Again, I don't want to discourage you, and I don't know if you already have some experience in the field, but I urge you to do your research and think everything through entirely! Law school is a huge commitment.

@~/~~~~
Old 09-10-2012, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

I used to be a Kaplan instructor. I would suggest that you take one of the free practice tests online, or get a book and take a practice test. Time it and score it - no interruptions, and resist the urge to peek at the answers. Then figure out what you're weakest at and work on that. If you can learn from workbooks and are disciplined, there's no real reason to take the course. The Logic Games Bible series is a big help if that's your downfall. (The games are the easiest to improve.) The other sections are a bit harder to pull up your score.

Law schools put a lot of weight on your undergraduate GPA in admissions. If it's not good, it will severely limit your options.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I second the advice to take practice tests and see what you're working with before you decide how to proceed. I am not a lawyer, but my husband is...I can't warn you away from law school strongly enough if you're not a) 100% sure you absolutely want to practice law and/or b) able to get into a very very top school. We have an insurmountable amount of law school debt now, and it's extremely unlikely in this market that he will ever make enough to compensate for it.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Second and third on the "Don't go to law school." I am a lawyer. The market for attorneys is terrible right now. Over half of last year's class did not get a job within 9 months of graduation. Small and mid-size firms are contracting right now. New graduates are competing with experienced attorneys for anything that comes open. Starting wages are too low to make the burden of law school debt worth it. If you ever wanted to do anything else, go do that.

If you can get into a top school and/or graduate at the top of your class at a second tier school, it might be worth it.

It might also be worth it, if you have an in (ie. your mom or dad owns a firm) or a business plan (ie. you are ready to start your own firm and have a plan for getting clients).
Old 09-11-2012, 08:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCat View Post
It might also be worth it, if you have an in (ie. your mom or dad owns a firm) or a business plan (ie. you are ready to start your own firm and have a plan for getting clients).
Region might make a difference, too. Finding a job is harder in some parts of the country than in others.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

And one great thing about being a lawyer is you can always go solo. Some of my classmates who have done this have done quite well for themselves.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 09-11-2012, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

What would be a good score on a practice one?
Old 09-11-2012, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Good to know. I couldn't find any indicators on what was good on line.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Just to give you some idea as to what you should be looking at in terms of scores by school:

http://www.gettingtogradschool.com/L...ol_Top_150.htm

http://www.lsatprepcourse.com/law.htm

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 09-11-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Just to give you some idea as to what you should be looking at in terms of scores by school:

http://www.gettingtogradschool.com/L...ol_Top_150.htm

http://www.lsatprepcourse.com/law.htm
Pay attention to the percentage employed at graduation, as well. You want that number to be as high as possible.

You also want to ask around your target legal community to see which schools have an edge in your market. Employers have strong preferences for certain schools in certain markets. You want to look around to make sure that your target market hires from your school in substantial numbers.