GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,023
0 members and 1,023 guests
No Members online

Old 03-17-2006, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mu_agd
Quote:
Originally posted by KSigkid
There are other players (Nomar Garciaparra, Pedro Martinez), who have changed their feelings towards the press/public over time as well.
Damn Boston media!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-17-2006, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

There was a Law & Order episode where a kid was taking steroids and it made him go all crazy and for a minute everyone thought he was bipolar and he beat up his friend and then shot his dad, who also took steroids, in the head but his dad lived and at the end they hugged and you hoped that the kid went on to have an amazing athletic career after overcoming his problems and the dad realized that his son is perfect just the way he is and Detective Stabler got over his daddy issues that came to the surface in light of this troubled father/son relationship.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mu_agd
Damn Boston media!
Haha, I noticed afterwards that I had mentioned only former Boston athletes. I guess you could add Derek Lowe to that list as well.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
The story that Barry likes to tell is that he is upset with the way the press treated his father (Bobby, also a very good major-leaguer). There were rumors of alcoholism, and Barry believes his father got the short end of the stick overall in that regard. So really, who knows.

There are other players (Nomar Garciaparra, Pedro Martinez), who have changed their feelings towards the press/public over time as well.

Maybe it has to do with steroid use, maybe it doesn't. We'll probably never know.
How mean has he really been though? I thought it was just that he didn't sign autographs or care for the fans? He hasn't thrown chairs or attacked people.

All roids are different. Given his wealth and fame he had access to quite a bit of synthetic steroids on the market which were designed in any way he probably could have wanted. A lot of basic steroids do mess with your hormones but there are ways to keep from going bald, developing bitch tits, and shrinking your nads for example.

-Rudey
Old 03-17-2006, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Haha, I noticed afterwards that I had mentioned only former Boston athletes. I guess you could add Derek Lowe to that list as well.

Has it ever occured to you that Boston just sucks, that is why all those players and HBADPI left Boston?

True story. When I was in Boston, some 5'5 220 homeless guy comes up to me and ask me for money. Sure, I give it to him and he tells me that he went to Harvard on a footbal scholarship and he got kicked off the team because he didn't like the coach. So what did he do to the coach?

"I crucified da muthafucka!"

hahaha good times Boston.

Last edited by BobbyTheDon; 03-17-2006 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KillarneyRose
Doesn't steroid usage make you mean and short tempered?

I ask because Barry Bonds used to play for the Pirates back in the (if I recall) late eighties and he was considered to be a "good guy" around town. Lots of community service, friendly to fans, cooperative with the press, etc. He and Bobby Bonilla were really fan favorites Pittsburgh around that time.

Once he went to San Francisco, it seems like that image went down the crapper and I was wondering if that possibly had something to do with steroids.

Bobby Bonilla use to be my fav player. I had his glove and everything.

Anyways, my best friend tells a story about how he was in pittsburgh with his dad when he was 8 years old. My friend had broken his leg so he had a cast on. Him and he dad were on an elevator when Barry walks in too.

My friend ask "Mr. Bonds, could you please sign my cast?"

"NO!"

My friends pop, " ah c'mon Barry. Please? My kid broke his leg, and it would make him feel really good if a superstar like you signed it"

Barry signed it after that.

So I guess Barry does have a heart.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BobbyTheDon
Has it ever occured to you that Boston just sucks, that is why all those players and HBADPI left Boston?

True story. When I was in Boston, some 5'5 220 homeless guy comes up to me and ask me for money. Sure, I give it to him and he tells me that he went to Harvard on a footbal scholarship and he got kicked off the team because he didn't like the coach. So what did he do to the coach?

"I crucified da muthafucka!"

hahaha good times Boston.
I'm a fan of Boston. I may not like the Red Sox (Yankees fan all the way), but I like the city. I will say that the local sports media here isn't exactly the easiest to deal with; I definitely can see the athletes' point of view on that one. It's funny though, none of my family from California likes Boston either (I have family in Riverside and San Diego).

Rudey: Anything I've heard about Barry has been second or third hand through sportswriters or fans, so I can't really say. As far as his public image, he stresses that he doesn't care what the fans say or think, and he only does interviews on his own terms. Nothing violent, just not the friendliest guy on earth.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:57 PM

Quote:

Rudey: Anything I've heard about Barry has been second or third hand through sportswriters or fans, so I can't really say. As far as his public image, he stresses that he doesn't care what the fans say or think, and he only does interviews on his own terms. Nothing violent, just not the friendliest guy on earth.
Good point, I think most athletes wish they could do things on their terms like Bonds does it but don't have the stones to do so.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KillarneyRose
Doesn't steroid usage make you mean and short tempered?

I ask because Barry Bonds used to play for the Pirates back in the (if I recall) late eighties and he was considered to be a "good guy" around town. Lots of community service, friendly to fans, cooperative with the press, etc. He and Bobby Bonilla were really fan favorites Pittsburgh around that time.

Once he went to San Francisco, it seems like that image went down the crapper and I was wondering if that possibly had something to do with steroids.
Oh the days when the Pirates were good.... Bonds, Bonilla and Van Slyke. My dad got a lot of tickets through his job back then, including the pennant game against the Mets. Of course, he and my mom had to explain to me what 'Muck those Fets' meant.

Good times.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
Oh the days when the Pirates were good.... Bonds, Bonilla and Van Slyke. My dad got a lot of tickets through his job back then, including the pennant game against the Mets. Of course, he and my mom had to explain to me what 'Muck those Fets' meant.

Good times.

The Pirates were such a sick team back in the late 80s, early 90s. It was such a shame they couldn't get past Atlanta.

They were the original Killer Bs lol
Old 03-17-2006, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Dude Boston doesnt suck dont hate and you know thats not why I left. If all goes well I'd love to move back...
Old 03-17-2006, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani

Good times.

Mmmm, Andy Van Slyke had the cutest li'l tushie
Old 03-18-2006, 12:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jitterbug13 Send a message via Yahoo to jitterbug13
Quote:
The Pirates were such a sick team back in the late 80s, early 90s. It was such a shame they couldn't get past Atlanta.

They were the original Killer Bs lol
I don't think it was a shame that they couldn't get past Atlanta in those days.

Oops, that was the Braves fan in me talking.

About Barry: Wasn't a fan them, still not a fan. At this point, I really don't care if he was/is taking steroids. Hank Aaron will always be HR king (oops, Braves fan talking again).

"I'd rather be hated for what I am than loved for what I'm not."--Kanye West

"Black is the new President."--Tracey Morgan