GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,127
0 members and 2,127 guests
No Members online

Old 09-18-2020, 01:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking D9 Sorority Informational

Greetings to everyone!

So I'm excited that the sorority I've shown interest in for the past 11 years in having its Fall informational on the 28th! I'm so anxious and eager at the same time, it really has been a long time coming for me. I get very emotional just thinking about it! It will be virtual and informal. Any advice you all can give me, please drop it off here! Thank you.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Just general advice since I'm not a D9 member, just remember to breathe and just be your authentic self also maybe practice your conversation skills with a trusted friend or family member and perhaps use a video call just so you can get comfortable with that format to make sure the camera shows you, that there is good lighting so others can also see you. We had to do some hiring for my office for a vacancy a few months back and the job interviews were virtual and you could quickly tell who wasn't as well versed in video/zoom calls.

I can't speak to anything else since its not in my lane, but wishing you the best!
Old 09-18-2020, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Treat this like any other interview that you have had. Although it’s not an interview, the same things still apply. Be timely, professional and be yourself.. This will be more about them providing information about the organization, chapter and intake, so you may just be doing a lot of listening. Depending on the number of ladies in the call, there may not be time for introductions. If there is, that’s great! Take that opportunity to show who you are, but be respectful that other ladies are trying to do the same as you!

Although you were told “informal,” I would still dress professionally (at least from the neck up). My rule of thumb is that it’s better to be overdressed than underdressed. Stick to neutral colors.

Good luck on your journey!
Old 09-20-2020, 12:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersistentDST View Post
Treat this like any other interview that you have had. Although it’s not an interview, the same things still apply. Be timely, professional and be yourself.. This will be more about them providing information about the organization, chapter and intake, so you may just be doing a lot of listening. Depending on the number of ladies in the call, there may not be time for introductions. If there is, that’s great! Take that opportunity to show who you are, but be respectful that other ladies are trying to do the same as you!

Although you were told “informal,” I would still dress professionally (at least from the neck up). My rule of thumb is that it’s better to be overdressed than underdressed. Stick to neutral colors.

Everything she said

Good advice also

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthen View Post
......just remember to breathe and just be your authentic self also maybe practice your conversation skills with a trusted friend or family member and perhaps use a video call just so you can get comfortable with that format to make sure the camera shows you, that there is good lighting so others can also see you. We had to do some hiring for my office for a vacancy a few months back and the job interviews were virtual and you could quickly tell who wasn't as well versed in video/zoom calls....
I just want to add remember why you have interest in the organization and that it's a LIFETIME commitment. What can you bring to the table as well as what can the organization do for you? One of the BIG things about D9 sororities is that we are about community service. A LOT of it.

Best wishes to you!
Old 09-21-2020, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthen View Post
Just general advice since I'm not a D9 member, just remember to breathe and just be your authentic self also maybe practice your conversation skills with a trusted friend or family member and perhaps use a video call just so you can get comfortable with that format to make sure the camera shows you, that there is good lighting so others can also see you. We had to do some hiring for my office for a vacancy a few months back and the job interviews were virtual and you could quickly tell who wasn't as well versed in video/zoom calls.

I can't speak to anything else since its not in my lane, but wishing you the best!
Thank you so much!
Old 09-21-2020, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersistentDST View Post

Thank you so much!
Old 09-21-2020, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle View Post
Everything she said

Good advice also

I just want to add remember why you have interest in the organization and that it's a LIFETIME commitment. What can you bring to the table as well as what can the organization do for you? One of the BIG things about D9 sororities is that we are about community service. A LOT of it.

Best wishes to you!
Thank you. I'm so excited. I've been pursuing this one organization for ELEVEN YEARS! There was always something to come up to prevent me from joining previously, whether it be personal or professional obligations, so I pray this is it! Every time I think about it, I get overcome with emotion because it's taken so long and I'm almost there. I'm usually not patient when it comes to anything else, but I've remained diligent and steadfast in my pursuit of this organization all these years. I been putting up a fight to get there. I just can't wait to FINALLY be a part of it. I'm just very humbled and overcome with joy, even if it's just the informational. This would be my THIRD informational for the same sorority in 11 years. Third time HAS to be the charm.
Old 10-04-2020, 03:34 AM
GreekChat Member

So if rush is October 12, about when should I know if I was chosen?
Old 10-04-2020, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interest2020 View Post
So if rush is October 12, about when should I know if I was chosen?
Unfortunately, we can’t tell you, because we are not in your chapter of interest. We can’t speak to their schedule/planning and there isn’t really a one-size-fits-all answer, especially during a pandemic. Only thing I can say is you’ll have to practice patience. From personal experience, it’s stressful, but find something to do while you wait.