GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,545
1 members and 1,544 guests
Pinkmagnolia921

Old 10-25-2020, 09:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Reading this made me think...when I was an undergrad—and for a few years after—most college towns had a GREEK SHOP of some kind. They sold bumper stickers, keychains, glasses, cups, T-shirts, a variety of jewelry, etc.
And you could ORDER sweatshirts or jerseys with sewn-on letters in a variety of patterns.
I haven’t seen one of those shops in YEARS. But then I haven’t been all over the country.

So...fellow Greek Chatters...are those small Greek shops still around, or is everything online now?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-25-2020, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

I think that Auburn still has at least one.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGD-GRAD View Post

So...fellow Greek Chatters...are those small Greek shops still around, or is everything online now?
When I was living in the Cleveland area, someone was looking for a Greek shop and I couldn't lead her for one. She went to Miami University in little Oxford, Ohio where there were a couple of Greek shops.
My guess is that while Cleveland has a lot of colleges with Greek system, the schools are not concentrated in one locale of a large metropolitan area.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

There is a combination competition swim gear/ GLO supplies store at the small shopping center just outside George Mason University in Fairfax, VA. Swim and dive teams are huge around here. The Greek side just has gear for the organizations at George Mason.

It seems like an odd blend but it works as this shop is still in business while many other small stores have gone under.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

University Spirit is still going strong on Baxter Street in Athens. They still supply many of the chapter bid day gifts.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGD-GRAD View Post
Reading this made me think...when I was an undergrad—and for a few years after—most college towns had a GREEK SHOP of some kind. They sold bumper stickers, keychains, glasses, cups, T-shirts, a variety of jewelry, etc.
And you could ORDER sweatshirts or jerseys with sewn-on letters in a variety of patterns.
I haven’t seen one of those shops in YEARS. But then I haven’t been all over the country.

Your post has me curious, as I haven't been to my alma mater's hometown in eight years. Normally the student bookstores each had a floor or large section devoted to Greek merchandise, including the ability to choose embossed/stitched/sewn letters for clothing purchases.

The only stand-alone Greek merch store I remember closed some twenty years ago, and it had been right at the edge of campus. That was about the time most NPC groups already sold greek merch by mail thru their orgs, at least ours did, and ours strongly encouraged purchases Thru HQ Only to receive QUALITY & PROPERLY LICENSED greek items.

But times change, so I'll devote a bit of time exploring and asking around concerning Greek merch stores next time I visit.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.

Last edited by Cheerio; 10-25-2020 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

We didn't have a Greek merch store in town; but, the bookstore at my alma mater (Long Beach State) had a decent little section of items available. There was a store near to San Diego State; but, it closed about 2011 or so. SDSU tried to add Greek merch in the student union; but, that effort was short-lived. Since people can buy online now, it's probably put a lot of places out of business.

True and Constant
Old 10-25-2020, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
We didn't have a Greek merch store in town; but, the bookstore at my alma mater (Long Beach State) had a decent little section of items available. There was a store near to San Diego State; but, it closed about 2011 or so. SDSU tried to add Greek merch in the student union; but, that effort was short-lived. Since people can buy online now, it's probably put a lot of places out of business.

Bought the decal letters for my car and my license plate frame at that same CSULB bookstore. When I was there we drove to the Balfour store near CSU Fullerton to order sweatshirts, mugs, etc.. or looked at the catalogue.