GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Community Service / Philanthropy

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 783
1 members and 782 guests
babobygooglet93

Old 06-21-2000, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Community Service

To all members of Greek organizations -- I would like to know what community service were you involved in before you became a member of a fraternity or sorority. This would be helpful for prospectives to see.
Old 06-21-2000, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Before joining Theta, I have been involved with mentoring programs, Ronald McDonald Children's Charities, and the Make-A-Wish Foundation. I still remain active in these activities as a member.

Other girls in my house have worked with handicapped adults, volunteered as coaches, and girl scouts.

------------------
Kappa Alpha Theta
Beta Gamma Chapter
Colorado State University
"Where twin stars shine bright!"
Live the dream - go Theta!
Old 06-22-2000, 08:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
Talking

Before I became a Zeta, I tutored at a local high school and worked with a freshman tutoring program at my college. I did various walks/runs (March Of Dimes, Susan G. Komen, etc.) I volunteered at planned parenthood and in the Black Cultural Center at my school. I also taught a basic computing course for Senior Citizens.

ZetaAce
Old 06-22-2000, 08:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I did after-school tutoring two to four times a week (depending on my schedule), volunteered with Special Olympics, and participated in an "adopt-a-nursing home" program.
Old 06-22-2000, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Serenity
Talking

In high school, I was a peer tutor, peer counselor and I tutored some of my neighbor's children three times a week after school.

In college, before I pledged, I worked with Amnesty International, the Special Olympics, The American Red Cross and the Latino Student Union. I later became treasurer of LSU.

I also volunteered my time to read to children at the local public library and participated in book drives. Lastly, I worked several hours during the week with the non-denominational church on campus where I helped clean and prepare the church for special services (midnight mass, Easter,etc). We also sponsored clothing drives and spaghetti dinners.

------------------
Sincerity, Loyalty, Unity
Sigma Lambda Upsilon: Hasta La Muerte!

[This message has been edited by Serenity (edited June 22, 2000).]
Old 06-24-2000, 07:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RedAngel Send a message via Yahoo to RedAngel
Before I joined Delta, I was active as an English as a Second Language tutor for Literacy Volunteers of America and tutored junior high school students in History.
Old 06-24-2000, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I participated in a number of community service projects and/or organizations before becoming a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha. I volunteered as a tutor and mentor in an after school program. I also volunteered at a nursing home through another organization on campus. We did monthly programs for the residents. I have also been very involved in my church's Foreign/Home Mission Ministry. One summer, I chaired the Foreign Mission drive for my local church and district. That year we collected socks that were combined with other churches from around the state and then the nation. They were then donated to various mission stations under the auspices of our national convention.
Old 06-25-2000, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Cool

I participated in a number of things, ranging from music to church events, aid to the homeless, etc. I used to help my mom deliver meals to senior citizens who had a hard time getting out, shopping, cooking ,etc. and/or were lonely and just looked forward to a familiar face.

One of my favorite things I did was in high school (and was through my school.) It was called H.U.D.D.L.E. (Helping Us Develop Dedicaton, Leadership, and Enthusiasm). Basically, it involved high school students teaching and mentoring 4th and 5th grade students in the school district.

The high school students were paired off into sets of 2. (This was based on how well you worked together, played off each other, etc.) We spent a couple of weeks working on team-building (as an entire group and with our partner). We were assigned a classroom (mine happened to be 4th graders) and we went to this same class once a month throughout the school year. (It was the 3rd Thursday or something). We educated the students on dealing with peer pressure, drug abuse, alcohol abuse (including help dealing with alcoholing parents), etc. (We were given lesson plans, activities, etc. every week, but were also encouraged to add our own twists and personalities to the lessons).

Being selected to be a member of HUDDLE meant we agreed not to drink, smoke, etc. throughout the year (kind of like w/ your letters: what do people think when they see you out partying and XYZ is across your chest?), couldn't get into a whole lot of trouble, etc.

The coolest part was that, since we saw the same students on a regular basis, we got to know them pretty well. The kids loved when we came. My partner was also a good friend of mine, and we always had all kinds of great little activities and stuff for these kids. (Like teaching them the useful techniques of designing paper airplanes ) Our last day of the year with them, the kids threw us a party and we went outside and played with them and had a blast.

The following year I was home from college and working as a cashier at a local store. I hear a kid say "hey, that's my HUDDLE teacher", and turned to see one of the boys that had been in my HUDDLE class nearly 2 years before. It was so great to see that those kids remembered me, because hopefully they remembered some of the things we talked to them about, too.

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com
Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter
Old 06-26-2000, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Silver Turtle: I like this thing called H.U.D.D.L.E. I think this is the kind of positive activity that all prospectives need to see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
BE POSITIVE!!!
Old 06-27-2000, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to prospectiverushee
Thumbs up

I'm not in a sorority yet either, but I'm involved in Cirle K here at school. We do things like play bingo with elderly, tutor elementary students(which I wanted to do so badly but couldn't do to a scheduling conflict),and sponsor blood drives. The most recent project was the 36 hour blood drive located here on campus. I'm also a member of Angel Fligt which is an organization simlar to Circle K,by they help out the cadets of the Air Force ROTC

I've also done a lot of commitee work for various on campus groups. When school starts again, I will be on the Internation Committe sponsored by our Union.
Old 06-28-2000, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
Most of my community service was through the Girl Scouts - I remained active through most of high school, and I'm proud to be honored with the Gold Award. There were a lot of service opportunities through Scouts (one of the main reasons I joined)

My leader and her family were Greek Orthodox Christians, and every year we would volunteer at their Church for the Greek Festival. There's also an annual benefit marathon in my hometown, which we participated in yearly (handing out cups of water with one hand and aleve with the other!) I've tutored and participated in badge workshops for younger Scouts, and been a junior counselor at day camps. I know I've done a lot more than this as a Scout...but these are the opportunities I loved the best.

Old 06-29-2000, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
I have volunteered for years with Muscular Dystrophy - working call centers for telethons, summer camp, etc... (I have a cousin and a brother-in-law with MD, so it is very important to me).
Old 07-19-2000, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Before I became a member of Delta, I Did a lot of my community service through Jack and Jill of America.

some of the things that I did on my own was 1) work phone lines at a rape abuse crisis center (the first time you hear a well respected doctor or lawyer say that her 3 children watch her get her a** kicked by her looser husband, you grow up real fast! )2) The community service arm of the Democratic party (I'm on the executive board of Young Democrats of Missouri) 3) And though Delta doesn't recognize it as a qualification for membership, I did ALOT (if I do say so myself) for and with my church.
Old 03-19-2001, 04:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to pirate00 Send a message via Yahoo to pirate00
Prior to joining Alpha Phi Omega, I tutored elementary school children, worked with Habitiat for Humanity, refereed soccer and was a volunteer EMT.
Old 03-20-2001, 02:36 AM
Unregistered-

Before I joined AGD, I volunteered with the Dept. of Hawaiian Homelands by building/painting homes for low-income Hawaiians (very much similar to Habitat for Humanity).

I also worked with Unity House, Inc., the fine organization who funded my scholarships thus far. We served Thanksgiving dinners every year to the elderly. I didn't have to volunteer, but I felt like I wanted to give something back to the organization that is helping me go to college.

And the weekends I was a musical ministry leader at my church and I led praise and worship at our college age service.

Despite school, work, and AGD service, I still try to do those things from time to time. It's difficult, but I enjoy it!

------------------
"Talk doesn't cook rice."--Someone smart

Visit Alpha Gamma Delta-Delta Sigma chapter!