GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,317
5 members and 1,312 guests
aaexeyttsa3383, Cookiez17, g41965, Xidelt

Old 06-22-2000, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

That is the funniest (but true)description I've seen in a while. Funny, I wore my pea coat today
Old 06-23-2000, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink the BLACK PANTS sorority email . . .

someone recently posted wanting to find a copy of this. i thought i'd put it up for those who missed it last year because it's actually really funny & rings really true.

It's all about the black pants...

I am a sorority bitch. My daddy is a Lawyer and my mommy stays home and goes shopping to keep me up on the latest fashions since I am
nearly 20 minutes from the mall here at college. I have highlights in my fashionably short hair and my skin is always bronzed despite the three feet of snow outside. Good thing I have a Jeep Grand
Cherokee or I'd never make it through the elements! I wear diamond studs in my ears and enough silver jewelry to blind oncoming traffic. I have a frat-boy boyfriend. My frat boy boyfriend and I met freshmen year at the rec center. I spend a lot of my free time at the rec center. I realized after I gained the freshman 15 that working out has got to be my number one priority if I am going to make it through college and still fit into a BeBe dress at graduation. I work out at least once a day and go to the rec when it is the most crowded, that way I am guaranteed to see people and be seen. I love sports bras. I love the way they look with my Adidas running shoes (You know the frat boy gray ones) and my patagonia shorts. Sometimes when I'm feeling fat I'll wear my Derby days t-shirt
instead, or something that has my Greek letters plastered on it somewhere. I am very motivated, or at least pretend to be. I carry a coach planner and you'll notice that all
major social events are highlighted in pink marker. That way I'll have plenty of time to figure out what I am wearing for our date party on Friday. I often complain about how busy I am, how stressed out school makes
me, etc...But only because all my friends and my frat-boy boyfriend and his friends do too. I go out every night. Last night I stayed in though because all my black bootleg pants are at the dry cleaner and I chipped a nail which put me in a wretched mood. All my friends told me this morning that last night was pretty "RANDOM" anyway. Today it is 65 degrees! Time to shed the patagonia pullover and the North Face Jacket! I shower and do my hair every morning before I go to class. I have enough MAC makeup to open my own store. I call Banana Republic "B-REPS" and buy my black pants at "BeBe". I wear bootleg everything. Somedays I try to look like a frat-boy and wear my bootleg khakis with my boyfriend's ****S baseball hat. I use words like "sweetheart" and "baby" often as ways of
showing my affection for others. Daddy pays for all my credit card bills. Last night daddy called and was angry that I went over my limit. I tried to explain I was having a bad day and I really needed that new cardigan, but he just wouldn't listen. Sometimes he's so insensitive. I love sex. If I say I don't I am lying. If I go to a late night party, I have intentions of hooking up.If I cry, it is my first time. If I scream, I am being dramatic. If I talk about sex, I am a tease, If I don't I am a
closet whore. My frat boy boyfriend and I dont have sex. We make love. HE says there is a big difference. Well, enough boring details of my life... I am running fashionably late so I'd better cut this short! I'm off to meet my sorority bitch friends for coffee to gossip about our frat boy boyfriends and talk
about how much we hate the girls in other sororities. Oh shoot, has anyone seen my pea coat! Gotta go now, talk to you soon "HONEY"!
Old 06-23-2000, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I know you are kidding, right. You address your Sorors as Bitches, and the only thing that matters is your polished image and your man. I'm big on appearance too, but GET A LIFE. You may want to consider being a PROFESSIONAL STUDENT. There's alot more to life than what you're talking about, that includes college life. I can't imagine you being very productive in a real job, Lord Forbid if You BREAK A NAIL! UUGHH
Old 06-23-2000, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

RHOYAL22India--It was a JOKE! It's appeared on a few thousand chain mails for the past few years, and most of us think it's pretty funny (hell, I even see myself in some of that!). No one's referring to their sorority sisters as "bitches"...it's all a parody. I can see how some of it could be offensive.

For the rest of us who got the joke--ain't it funny?

Well, gotta go--late for jogging (yeah, I have the Patagonia shorts and gray trail-runner Adidas on!)
Old 06-24-2000, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

I have a question for 33girl, AlphaChiGirl and anyone else who's wondering what's up with Rhoyal22India. Before you wrote your responses to Rhoyal22India, did you stop to think maybe this is nowhere near true for her sorority experience? (rehetorical question) I mean, a couple of you have already said it "rings true." That may be the reason Rhoyal22India responded the way she did is because the satire is nowhere near her sorority experience. To be honest, if I did not read the earlier posts asking if anyone had this "joke," I would have responded the same way she did. In order for satire to be funny, one has to have an understanding of the thing or idea being satired. That's why everyone does not get political humor, because not everyone (unfortunately) is current with what's happening on the Hill. It's also why not everyone catches all the jokes in South Park.

After I read the "joke," I asked myself why it's funny. I couldn't come up with an answer because my sorority experience, and I'll bet the sorority experience of every NPHC Sorority member on this board, is very different from what this joke is satiring.

------------------
Kelli
12-DN-94
SSU c/o 1997
something we all should see: http://www.seestudio.com/psa.html

[This message has been edited by 12dn94dst (edited June 24, 2000).]
Old 06-25-2000, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

That's funny...I even know some BGLO members who fit that description.
Old 06-25-2000, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by 12dn94dst:
I have a question for 33girl, AlphaChiGirl and anyone else who's wondering what's up with Rhoyal22India. Before you wrote your responses to Rhoyal22India, did you stop to think maybe this is nowhere near true for her sorority experience? (rehetorical question) I mean, a couple of you have already said it "rings true." That may be the reason Rhoyal22India responded the way she did is because the satire is nowhere near her sorority experience. To be honest, if I did not read the earlier posts asking if anyone had this "joke," I would have responded the same way she did. In order for satire to be funny, one has to have an understanding of the thing or idea being satired. That's why everyone does not get political humor, because not everyone (unfortunately) is current with what's happening on the Hill. It's also why not everyone catches all the jokes in South Park.

After I read the "joke," I asked myself why it's funny. I couldn't come up with an answer because my sorority experience, and I'll bet the sorority experience of every NPHC Sorority member on this board, is very different from what this joke is satiring.

I went to your posted website. Why did you post it here? It's a great piece but how do you relate it to this joke? I'm one of the people who got the joke and can relate to it. I find it very funny. If you don't relate to it, that's ok too. I'm QUITE sure that there are jokes and satire in the NPHC community that are similar(if not the same) that would not be considered funny in the NPC houses because they may not relate to it. If we can't laugh at ourselves, who or what can we laugh at?

[This message has been edited by theXgirl (edited June 25, 2000).]
Old 06-25-2000, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

The site doesn't relate to this joke. I didn't know the contents of my signature, the one I set up in my preferences, had to be relevant to the posts.

And yes, the members of the NPHC do have jokes that those in the NPC would not understand. There is nothing wrong with that. I'm just saying that 33girl's tone in her response to Rhoyal22India was down right mean. As in "This is called a JOKE. You might want to look it up in the dictionary because you obviously don't understand the point of this post!! While you're at it, look up SATIRE also." That was uncalled for. AlphaChiGirl's response was a little more appropriate.

You're right, it is good to laugh at ourselves but with satire of this type, it's very important for us, all of us, to make sure people on the outside looking in know that it is, in fact, a joke. In this case, it was not clar this was a joke. Notice I said "...honest, if I did not read the earlier posts asking if anyone had this "joke," I would have responded the same way she did." I knew it was supposed to be funny, but since I haven't had presonal contact with NPC members, it's not funny to me.

------------------
Kelli
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
12-Delta Nu-94
Savannah State University c/o 1997
something we all should see: http://www.seestudio.com/psa.html

[This message has been edited by 12dn94dst (edited June 25, 2000).]
Old 06-25-2000, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Originally posted by 12dn94dst:
The site doesn't relate to this joke. I didn't know the contents of my signature, the one I set up in my preferences, had to be relevant to the posts.

*Sorry, I didn't realize it was part of your signature. It's a great site though.

And yes, the members of the NPHC do have jokes that those in the NPC would not understand. I'm just saying that 33girl's tone in her responses to Rhoyal22India did not reflect that she understood that Rhoyal didn't get the joke. As in "This is called a JOKE. You might want to look it up in the dictionary because you obviously don't understand the point of this post!! While you're at it, look up SATIRE also." That was uncalled for. AlphaChiGirl's response was more appropriate.

*Yes, I agree

You're right, it is good to laugh at ourselves but with satire of this type, it's very important for us, all of us, to make sure people on the outside looking in know that it is, in fact, a joke. Notice I said "...honest, if I did not read the earlier posts asking if anyone had this "joke," I would have responded the same way she did." I knew it was supposed to be funny, but since I haven't had personal contact with NPC members, it's not funny to me.

Well, I look at it like this, I really don't care if stuff like this 'gets out' as long as it's not info about ritual stuff, or degrading people because of race, gender, religion, etc.. I know the true meaning behind it weather I get it or not. I just feel it's silly for people to get worked up over a joke like this. And As far as people on the outside looking in, they should realize that until they become members of an org, a lot of stuff won't make sense. Honestly, I don't care. They should have enough brains to figure out the difference between a joke and a insult.

I don't want this post to sound like I'm being 'bitchy' towards you. I'm not. I respect your opinion but I disagree with it.

[This message has been edited by theXgirl (edited June 25, 2000).]
Old 06-25-2000, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

theXgirl, you don't sound bitchy at all. I respect you opinion also. Having said that, I take it we're agreeing to disagree.

Kel

Old 06-25-2000, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Cool...I have to admit though, I feel like I'm being bitchy cause' it's that time of the month! Too much Estrogen!
The X Girl
Old 06-25-2000, 06:01 PM
PEACE

**SIGH** Does every little thing on this board have to end up being a free-for-all? (Big Huge Rhetorical Question!)
Old 06-25-2000, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Cute Joke!

It's sad though! It sounded like me in 1993! Now I'm a little older and wiser!