GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,626
0 members and 1,626 guests
No Members online

Old 04-09-2014, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
9 facts about marriage and childbirth in the United States:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSto...loses-23186187
Paula Deen?
Old 04-09-2014, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRose1912 View Post
Paula Deen?
Haha wtf? Fixed it. I don't even know where that came from. I always have such issues posting on this site when using my phone!

@~/~~~~
Old 04-09-2014, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow this is an old thread. Ugh. I am in a completely different place now than I was when I was thinking of this topic.

FWIW: It feels like there are two waves in my neck of the woods. Right after you finish school (either high school or undergraduate) and then in the later 20s.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 04-10-2014, 04:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
Wow this is an old thread. Ugh. I am in a completely different place now than I was when I was thinking of this topic.

FWIW: It feels like there are two waves in my neck of the woods. Right after you finish school (either high school or undergraduate) and then in the later 20s.
Wait... high school

Even the most extreme ages in my area / people I know are in their (very) early twenties.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:42 AM
Banned

I say instead of going based on trends, people should do what works for them as an individual (and a couple).

That includes not getting married.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
There were two waves among my friends too. One shortly after college (early 20s) and then another wave of weddings around the late 20s-early 30s.

That said, I'm 40, my boyfriend is 48, and we're not yet married. Eventually, sure, but no rush.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I was the first of all of my high school friends to get married. I was a month shy of my 26th birthday, and my husband had just turned 27.

We had a long engagement - almost 2 years, but we had a lot of extenuating circumstances - educational, financial (we had moved out of state because both of our industries were stale in the current state), my health issues, the church was booked 18 months out and we wanted a fall wedding, etc.

In my graduating class, only 2 out of our 230-ish students did not go to 4-year colleges, and therefore it was common to wait get married until after they graduated. Most people with similar education levels, job levels, financial situations and religion in my town usually married between 25-30. One of my biological sisters married her college sweetheart (they met her first day of college as he was her Orientation leader) only 18 months out of college and we all thought that was very, very young.

In the south, where my husband is from, lots of people got married right after High School or College graduation. I could not have imagined myself ready to marry at 18 or 19, or even 22, but it works for some people.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Here in North Alabama, a few get married right out of high school, but just a handful. Most wait for a few years. Used to be right after college (which is how we did it), but I see more waiting a few years to establish themselves in careers, or finish graduate degrees.

You always hear about how Southerners hardly wait for puberty to get married and reproduce. I have a great-grandmother way up in the North Carolina mountains who was 16 when she married. We were in mom's hometown one day to do some genealogy research, so I searched and found my GGM. She was the exception....I only found one or two other 16-year-olds getting hitched in the late 1800s. Most were around 20-22-24-26.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I think I only knew one or two were were married right after high school and both were extremely religious.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot