GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,397
0 members and 1,397 guests
No Members online

Old 10-15-2007, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Interesting. If Paris Hilton went through recruitment at a school with a large Greek System, do people truly believe she wouldn't get a bid?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-16-2007, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySK View Post
The Fleur de Lis is very New Orleans-ish, but that's because New Orleans is French, and so is the Fleur de Lis. Doesn't make the Fleur any less southern, just thought I'd throw that out there

The fleur de lis comes to Louisiana from France by way of deported Acadians who brought it with them from Acadia to Louisiana (i.e. Acadia is a region in what is now Canada...it's basically parts of Nova Scotia and New Brunswick). Even Louisiana itself is named for King Louis XIV of France.

So, in that regard, the Fleur De Lis is actually quite Northern in origin (with the caveat that Acadia is not "yankee"...you Southerners can breathe a sigh of relief. )

Wiki sums it up best: It is an enduring symbol of France, but, being regarded most notably as the emblem of the (French) monarchy.

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 10-16-2007 at 01:11 AM.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Interesting. If Paris Hilton went through recruitment at a school with a large Greek System, do people truly believe she wouldn't get a bid?
Not my chapter. With the grade risk, the risk management, and (oh, the horror!) the jail sentence, I highly doubt that she'd be considered.

Money can buy a lot of things, but not intelligence nor class.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Just a random tidbit about the fleur-de-lis thing, it's one of the symbols of Florence, Italy. EVERYWHERE has the fleur-de-lis symbols (palaces, emblems, street lamps, on sewer guards)
The decorative boarder on this building made me think of KKG (i took the picture when I was there this past summer)-

keys and fleur-de-lis!

andddd I'll bite

I'd choose Hilary Duff over either of the Olsen's.
I'd choose old school Britt over old school Christina, but new school Christina over new school Britt.
and Jessica over Ashley.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
Not to mention she'd be a risk management nightmare...
I don't think Paris, Lindsay or Britney would ever get a bid due being risks that have a dire need to be managed! Oh the horror stories and plagues the terrible trio could bring!

The Trolls have taken over the Asylum!
Old 10-16-2007, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessjv View Post
Just a random tidbit about the fleur-de-lis thing, it's one of the symbols of Florence, Italy.
According to wikipedia, that's considered a "Florentine Lily" with the difference being it has the stylized stamen whereas the traditional fleur de lis does not.

Personally, I like them both!
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePie2000 View Post
The fleur de lis comes to Louisiana from France by way of deported Acadians who brought it with them from Acadia to Louisiana (i.e. Acadia is a region in what is now Canada...it's basically parts of Nova Scotia and New Brunswick). Even Louisiana itself is named for King Louis XIV of France.
True, but it was a French territory named for Louis XIV about 100 years before the Acadians arrived. The fleur de lis was in use in New Orleans and Lousiana long before the Acadians came.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
even if collegiate members wanted to take a gamble, i can promise you that powers that be would see that they went bidless.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePie2000 View Post

So, in that regard, the Fleur De Lis is actually quite Northern in origin (with the caveat that Acadia is not "yankee"...you Southerners can breathe a sigh of relief. )

Wiki sums it up best: It is an enduring symbol of France, but, being regarded most notably as the emblem of the (French) monarchy.
Not sure how it got to Louisiana, other than from the French, so tha'ts interesting. I was a French minor, so I always associate the fleur de lis with France. However, it's still very Canadian as well..... (in Quebec)
Old 10-16-2007, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySK View Post
Not sure how it got to Louisiana, other than from the French, so tha'ts interesting. I was a French minor, so I always associate the fleur de lis with France. However, it's still very Canadian as well..... (in Quebec)
Because Louisiana and Quebec were both French colonies/territories. And as I noted earler, the fleur de lis was in use in New Orleans and Lousiana before the Acadians arrived.

When you see a fleur de lis used by a city, state or province in North America, such as on the flags of New Orleans, St. Louis, Louisville or Quebec, it almost always inidicates French heritage and derives from the French royal emblems.

As an aside, the fleur de lis is also a traditional symbol of the Virgin Mary (as a stylized lily and symbol of purity), of the Trinity (because of the three petals) and of the Boy Scouts (because of its traditional use to mark "North" on a compass rose).

And, perhaps most importantly, it's a Kappa symbol, as the number of fleurs de lis around my house will attest.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessjv View Post
I'd choose Hilary Duff over either of the Olsen's.
I'd choose old school Britt over old school Christina, but new school Christina over new school Britt.
and Jessica over Ashley.
This almost sounds like the thread might turn into a "bid" version of "who'd you rather ____?"
Old 10-16-2007, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
Not my chapter. With the grade risk, the risk management, and (oh, the horror!) the jail sentence, I highly doubt that she'd be considered.

Money can buy a lot of things, but not intelligence nor class.
Co-sign!

At my chapter? Over my dead body!!

Old 10-17-2007, 01:46 AM

I'm pretty sure that Paris Hilton would never make grades, since I can't visualize her attending any classes.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:45 AM

Back when the bubblegum pop scene was big, there were rumors constantly floating around UCF that Britney, Christina and Mandy were going to be attending school there and rushing. Orlando was the center of that pop scene so it made sense. I guess that's how the rumors got started in the first place. You wouldn't believe the things the sororities would say to each other. "Christina will join our sorority because we're the party girls", "Mandy will join our sorority because we're the good-girls", "Britney will join our sorority because we're the fun, athletic girls". I remember hearing a few of my sisters discussing how they'd handle the security issues should one of them join our chapter. Of course, this was all circa 2000 through 2002 so it was before a lot of the recent incidents but these girls were still highly sought after. Maybe our nationals would have told us differently had these girls actually gone through recruitment but, at the time, all the sororities on campus were discussing amongst themselves how they'd convince these girls that their chapter was the best for them.

As an alum, I can look back and be grateful that none of them (well, except for Mandy) went to UCF nor went through recruitment. It would have been a huge risk management issue to have them in our chapters. I think many collegiate members feel differently, though. Could you imagine the prestige and the popularity that would have come along with bidding the 2000 Britney??? The collegiate members don't see the potential drawbacks that could occur. I know a lot of us are saying that we wouldn't want a girl like Paris or Britney in our chapters but that's because most of us are wise alum. I know that I felt differently back when I was 19/20 years old.

Last edited by ZTAngel; 10-17-2007 at 07:51 AM.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow, I just learned a lot about the origins of my username!!

Has anyone ever had a recruitment with a big name coming through? Not the local football star's daughter, but a BIG name? Jenna Bush at UT must have been crazy, and most people wouldn't know her if they saw her on the street (at least outside of Texas). There was a brief rumor that the Olsen twins were coming to Emory, and girls were already talking about how they wanted to talk to them during recruitment, speculating where they would go, etc. I don't think anyone could have focused much on anything else had they rushed!!