GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 932
2 members and 930 guests
LaneSig

Old 08-18-2005, 02:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Tricky situation

Ok my lil sis ( we have those in my school) has one of her oldest friends coming up to live with her. Her friend is going through rush... this is all good except my lil sis doesnt want her to join her sorority, she want that to be the one thing that her friend just didnt follow her into ... this said ... she does not want to be the girl who bad mouths her friend to her sisters ... she fells a split loyalty ..... shes been in her sorority for just one semester but has known her friend for 12 years ... messy huh any ideas?
Old 08-18-2005, 04:14 AM
GreekChat Member

This is a very sticky situation.

I can give two pieces of advice for your lil sis.

1) She should talk to her friend all about greek life, about the many wonderful sororities you have on your campus. Make sure she emphasizes the friends she has in each of the chapters - how you can still be great friends even if you aren't sisters - how some people, while they may be awesome friends, just fit better in different houses. If your lil sis's friend realizes that she can still maintain her friendship with your lil after joining a different organization, it might help.

2) If after this advice, her friend doesn't seem to get it, and appears to be rushing for the wrong reasons (only for admiration of your lil sis, etc.), I would strongly encourage your lil (you could even go with her) to speak with your rush chair about the situation. That way your lil sis not "bad mouthing" her friend to her sisters in the slightest; on the contrary, she is looking out for the interests of both your house and her friend.

Finally though, what are the reasons that you believe your lil doesn't want her friend to join? Is it merely a matter of she doesn't want her friend to follow her into her sorority? Or is it more extreme, that her friend appears to not be able to make decisions on her own and follows your lil's course of action in every situation?
Old 08-18-2005, 09:59 AM

I totally, TOTALLY understand about wanting to have something that is yours and that your best friend doesn't do with you.

She might not have to bad mouth her friend, the sisters might dislike her all on their own. OK I'm being a little flip, but the important thing for everyone to know is just because it's your sister's sorority, she can't necessarily "get someone in." Trust me, the other sisters will figure out if the friend just wants to be in because of your sister, and unless they are hurting for numbers it likely won't go over.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Tricky situation

Quote:
Originally posted by asigslifeforme
Ok my lil sis ( we have those in my school)
Y'all have little sisters? Hmmm.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lagirl33
...I would strongly encourage your lil (you could even go with her) to speak with your rush chair about the situation.
FYI: asigslifeforme (*a-sigs-life-for-me*) is a Sigma Chi. Regardless, still good adivice all around.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks for clarifying for me bro

in hoc
Old 08-18-2005, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

about the little sisters its not a chapter wide thing... its kinda infromal, but u do get pretty close with your big and little sis ...
Old 08-19-2005, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Your sister doesn't have to 'bad mouth' her friend to the sorority, but she doesn't have to talk her up either.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Long-distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee!
Your lil sis's reason for not wanting her friend to join seem a little immature and selfish.

Perhaps it is too late for this now, but maybe next semester they could just live in different dorms. That way, New Girl can join whichever sorority she likes most, and Lil Sis can have her personal space.

PS - New Girl will probably be really busy meeting other new kids and (if she pledges) bonding with her pledge sisters and big sis.. so she won't exactly be spending all her time with Lil Sis anyway.