GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,425
0 members and 1,425 guests
No Members online

Old 10-06-2002, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DU_KD_924
Personally, I meant I didn't go to the sorority/fraternity mixers in college except for when it was my now hubby's fraternity. Or, I would go to the first part, which was usually some kind of philanthropy activity or game type thing, but I would never go the after-party thingies that happened after each mixer. What would be the point? The entire purpose of those after-parties was to mix with the guys... only the single girls went to those.

Also, I never was a drinker. I just don't like the taste of alcohol. I have nothing against it, not a religious thing at all, just don't like to drink. Drinking at my school was a large part of those after-parties. So, if I'm not there to check out guys, I'm not there to drink... why go? I'd rather curl up with my sweetie watching a movie. That's all I meant =)

Melissa
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-06-2002, 02:50 PM
hendrixski

I like how someone put it: greek life is one of those things where you get what you put in. If you don't wanna party, you don't have to, there are plenty of other rewarding things to do in a house.

I've gone to parties and been sober (as either designated driver, or when I realized I've been drinking for the last 3 days in a row). So if it's drinking that you're affraid of, don't sweat it, you can still have a fun time at a party.
Old 10-06-2002, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
re: the boyfriend thing

Hmm. If you don't get it, this one might be hard to describe. It's really only valid if you're in a "serious" relationship -- if y'all see each other once a week or so I'm sure things are completely different.

My boyfriend's in Kappa Sigma, and I end up seeing him about every day, if only for five minutes to return this shirt he left at my place.

When you're both in college, going to class, working, doing sorority/fraternity stuff, and maybe church/habitat for humanity/whatever else, there's precious little time to just hang out. I like to spend my leftover time with Kevin, which is why I date him. So, even though I love my friends in Delta Chi, I might miss the mixer to hang out with him, or spend Saturday night (after an especially awful week) making mac & cheese at my place.

Point being, he doesn't REQUIRE that I skip parties & stuff -- just sometimes I'd rather be with him than at the party in the first place.

Of course, sometimes I take him, meet him there, whatever -- and that's cool too.
Old 10-08-2002, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Yahoo!!! Another Logger!

Hey Sarahgrace -- I'm a UPS alum, class of 1996!!! Welcome to GC and to UPS!!!
As I think you will find out, our greek system is very different from a lot of the big college/party scene systems, just because of the size of our campus and the students. I think over the last 4-5 years there has been even less emphasis on the social aspects of belonging to a house and a lot more on sisterhood, philanthropies, and scholastic achievement, which is great. You will also find that rush is a MUCH different experience here -- way more casual and fun. If you are even remotely interested in joining a house I would really encourage you to go through rush...I think most member of our greek system were more than a little hesitant about joining and were very glad that they went through rush and saw what our greeks are really all about. And all of the chapters at UPS are very strong locally and nationally, with amazing and diverse members in each house!
Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions!