GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,559
0 members and 1,559 guests
No Members online

Old 01-11-2009, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to cinderella91
work load and sorority commitment

i wasn't quite sure which board to put this on...so i flipped a coin and settled on greek life.

anyways, i'm going to be attending university of tennessee in the fall in the college of engineering and i also intend on rushing. so i was curious if any gc-ers are engineers too and how they handled it.

thanks a mil
Old 01-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

One of the best parts of being in a sorority is learning to manage your time. My own chapter was full of future engineers, doctors, nurses, physical therapists, lawyers, and other "stressful" majors. The chances are very good that, if you get a bid, your GLO will include study hours for New Members.

Good luck - and keep studying!
Old 01-11-2009, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to cinderella91
thanks...because thats the only thing i was really worried about for next semester was juggling it all
Old 01-11-2009, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Buy a planner.

Problem solved, now get out of my house.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 01-11-2009, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Well I'd say that all people who are in college would consider their choice of majors to be very stressful and demanding at all times. Honeychile is correct in saying time mgmt. is the best way to go. Elephant Walk is correct as well a planner is a major helper in making the best time mgmt choices for yourself. As for me, I found that with my Big Sisters in many of my major classess was the best way for me to stay focused and grounded as to taking care of my responsibilites and getting my papers, files, ect done when I was pledging.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella91 View Post
thanks...because thats the only thing i was really worried about for next semester was juggling it all
the trick is to balance your priorities and not juggle, if you juggle, your bound to drop the ball. this cliched advise is brought to you from 3 hour meeting from DU HQ about time management.

Did you know if you watch jaws backwards, its a movie about a shark that throws up so many people that they have to build a beach?
Old 01-11-2009, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

balance, balance, balance.

i'm a journalism major, so i'm working constantly on projects- it's tough but worth it!

as for engineering, i know two girls in other sororities who are engineering majors and they are doing great! it just takes dedication and knowing how to prioritize.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:22 PM

There were girls in my chapter who were in demanding majors like engineering, architecture, pre-med, etc.

Time management is really important. I'd suggest investing in a planner.

Part of time management is also prioritizing. For example, if you have a HUGE project due tomorrow, that takes priority over (for example) going to an optional sisterhood or a mixer.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Two of our VPs were Electrical Engineering majors (and in the Honors program). It can be done. It goes back to Plan the Work and Work the Plan. If you have it in the schedule to study everyday between X and Y, stick to it.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

LOL!!!!!! But for real, I was a bio major, and it was a lot of work. you will have to prioritize as well when/if you do become a member of the org of your choice. gL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
Buy a planner.

Problem solved, now get out of my house.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I usually found myself performing better when I had a lot to do. What worked best for me, is that if (most of the time, WHEN), I had a large project, I would immediately set out and break it down into smaller incremements, setting up personal deadlines along the way.

It's a great way to succeed in any major that might require a number of huge projects/papers/presentations. I was an English/Journalism major, and I had several competing class priorities, as in a paper/article due each class, a larger one each week, a few bigger ones per semester, and then the final. Your coursework as an Engineering major may require the same sort of dissecting into smaller, more digestible segments.

Doing so will help decrease the "OMG" night-before-do-or-die-cram sessions.

I think that this advice works well for any major. Planning makes everything go so much smoother, and when you do have emergencies arise, you will be more likely to have the time and effort to focus on the unexpected.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flirt5721
I'm an Electrical Engineer. While I was active (alum now) I had two jobs, homework, sorority, and family to deal with. I was one of the most active members at the time too. All that one need to do is learn how to manage your time. Engineering can be more demanding then some of the other major and some girls never understood that but TIME MANAGEMENT is your best friend. I you don't have time management skill, I'm sure that you can take a class at the university that will help you develop it. I was also VP in the Engineering Council while active in the chapter. For me the first two years where easier to manage and my last year was the hardest (senior project was not fun). The thing that really helped was that we would get a list events that where planned for the semester (most of the time), if not we would get at least two weeks notice.

Also when I joined there where two other EEs in the chapter. One was VP for Recruitment at the time. My chapter also had a CE as chapter president.

"The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword"
Land of Entrapment has me again
Old 01-11-2009, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I advise students at a technical university (programs are engineering and architecture), all of the sisters except one is in an engineering degree - electrical, civil, etc, and that's the entire chapter.

It can certainly be done....
Old 01-12-2009, 01:24 AM
GreekChat Member

I have about a million pre-med sisters, a large amount of who are studying for the MCAT and on e-board. It is possible to juggle everything. You will run into problems here and there with conflicts (my big missed our date night as the LSAT was the next morning...) but for the most part, if you want to make it work, you can. It seems as if most people actually thrive under pressure anyway. I say you go for it!
Old 01-12-2009, 01:48 AM
GreekChat Member

I wish more people had gotten my GREEK reference.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke