GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,271
1 members and 1,270 guests
Cookiez17

Old 02-22-2005, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Dorkarella
Question about LSAT...

Ok I am a Junior in College and am wondering when would be a good time to take my first LSAT....and when would be a good time to stop taking if I am un happy with my first score....
Old 02-22-2005, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm also a junior and my mom seems to think the best time to take it is June, so I have time to retake it if I have to but that leaves me enough time to apply Early Action (non-binding)

Umm.. I don't think I'm going to be ready by then, but we'll see
Old 02-22-2005, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

ASAP!

Take it in your junior year, way to think ahead! I waited until my senior year, and taking that and doing applications on top of my senior thesis...my life sucked. Take it in the summer, that way you have plenty of time to study without worrying about school work.

I would say if you are unhappy the first time, take it again. There is a very small chance you will do worse. Law schools DO AVERAGE your LSAT scores, so if you get a 150 the first time, then a 170, your score is still averaged to a 160. However, if that was the case (such a huge improvement), the school might take that into consideration.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Just a word about re-taking the LSAT...if it's the same now as it was when I took it, they don't take the highest score, but rather average the 2 scores...sometimes the increase of score on the 2nd test isn't worth the effort. I'd buckle down, and study/prepare like you have no second chance....and if you aren't disciplined (like I wasn't) take a prep-class. Best $1,000 I ever spent.

I took the October exam, and the scores were back in time for early application deadlines. But if you are a full-time student, taking it in June might be best, assuming you aren't going to be taking a full load of classes at the same time. Something to think about.... Good Luck!

ETA: I was typing @ the same time as ShaedyKD...so I guess the averaging thing is still happening....
Old 02-22-2005, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Dorkarella
see I would take it in June...but I got premission to do my Senior thesis in History this year that way I can do my Senior Thesis in Political Science next year and not have to deal with both at the same time. So I have very little time to study...but come to think of it I have been studying for the bloody thing since I was a Freshmen...usually take about 13 pratice tests a year..my average score is about a 165...I am just scared to go in and take the real thing and having that horrid feeling that I am not fully prepared for it. I guess I am also lucky in that most of the school's I am looking at have rolling addmission policies...and I am looking at taking a year off for a few interships..but I want to get the test outta the way...blah that was a whole lotta babbling...thanks for the advice..and please feel free to give more...!
Old 02-23-2005, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RUgreek
165 is a respectable score, I consider anything above 161 to be good enough. If you are considering top 10, then add another 10 points. If you have been practicing that many tests, I think you are ready to take the exam as long as you do some last minute preparation. I took my LSAT fall of my senior year. October tests were well before final exams, so I didn't have any trouble concentrating or studying at the libraries.

If you are worried, don't be. Take the exam when you feel relaxed. The last thing you want is to take it twice.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

The best time to take the LSAT is after you've been out of college for a couple years -- but that's just my opinion.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:06 AM
GreekChat Member

take it in June. With something that's this important and that is time sensitive, it is NOT a good idea to procrastinate.

If you wait until the fall and bomb it, you won't have enough opportunity to retake it. You never know, you could get sick or have a family emergency or something. If something happened, you'd probably have to end up taking a year off school or more.
Which for some people time off between undergrad and law school works (see valkyrie), but for some people that would not have been the best choice (like me).

But then again, make sure law school's something you really want to do I don't know how many people i've talked to lately that say they're thinking about going to law school, but really have no idea what's involved. So many people are delusional that all lawyers make a ton of money, even starting out, and that's just not true. Plus there are a lot of lawyers on market right now....
Old 02-23-2005, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

HUGE proponent of June - I took it then, albeit on top of summer school and work, but it was really nice because the June test is in afternoon, not morning! I ended up retaking in October, but I feel like that was a better idea.

One of my friends took it in October for the first time and BOMBED (as in sub-140) and then realized he wouldn't be able to retake until February (the December test is horrible because of finals) so he is now postponing law school a year.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with everyone else. June is best.

Also, not all schools average scores. The one I ended up selecting (Oklahoma City University) does not/did not.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 02-23-2005, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to _Opi_
October exams are alot more stressful and there are alot of people taking it at that time.

I would suggest you take the advice of the above and do it in June. It's more laid back and it'll give you enough time to retake it(if necessary).
Old 02-23-2005, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
I agree with everyone else. June is best.

Also, not all schools average scores. The one I ended up selecting (Oklahoma City University) does not/did not.
Averages are weird - I only have a 3 pt split. Most of my schools are taking the average, but a few are taking the higher score, although my average is only one point off from my high score, so I doubt it will make much difference. The best way to get information on averages is to call the law school and ask if there isn't information on their website about it.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RUgreek
I don't see how taking this exam with lots of people will affect your score? If you can't handle the stress of thousands of people taking a test with you, then you're in for some serious problem taking the bar. Mine was with 7000 people and we even had an alarm go off in the middle of it Get a pair of ear plugs if you think noise is an issue, but taking it in June or October, in my opinion, won't make any difference. I didn't know they had an afternoon exam in June, but I tend to concentrate better before lunch then after

RUgreek
Old 03-02-2005, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to IheartAphi
I rocked the october test my senior year. I spent my junior year working though games and took a course that fall of my senior year. I had my applications done by Halloween and was fine. I did not write a thesis though.

I would be scared to take it in June without spending time getting used to the questions. It also helps to take pratice tests, just to get your brain used to the stress.