GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,775
1 members and 1,774 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 11-11-2020, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

New members face Zoom nights, no parties, and a $1,000 bill

I just read an article posted on Yahoo which takes a look at the "new normal" for participation in Greek life - virtual recruitment and virtual sisterhood. I felt that the article was pretty fair. The young woman interviewed seems to be taking the long-view approach to her sorority membership. I do understand her second-guessing the cost of the sorority when the majority of the participation is online only. It might be interesting to check national retention numbers from fall into spring after some members decide that they can't justify the cost in light of the experiences they feel they're missing out on.

"Zoom nights, no parties, and a $1,000 bill: What it's like to belong to a college sorority during the pandemic"

Article: https://news.yahoo.com/zoom-nights-n...150858050.html

True and Constant
Old 11-11-2020, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, it is good that this NM is taking the long-view approach to her sorority membership.

It is also good that basic costs of membership in each chapter were explained to each PNM during recruitment, for them to individually make decisions about joining during these unusual times.

Does anyone know what Covid Time New Members are NOT paying for, that New Members from Fall 2019 paid for, in NM dues/fees? Is there a real cost difference, or just an assumed one?
Old 11-19-2020, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I can speak for two chapters in regards to Fall 2019 vs Fall 2020 dues. For both chapters, the only difference was the slight lowering of the per-capita fees from nationals. In each case, dues were voted on in the spring—when they believed they would have a “normal” fall. Each chapter voted to keep the budget planned for a normal slate of events.

House/parlor fees didn’t change. In fact, actual facility expenses rose due to all the extra cleaning/sanitizing that has to be done.

Yes, a lot of the traditional events were cancelled, but we’ve been creative in figuring out new events. One chapter now has weekly sisterhood events. The chapter is purchasing the supplies for each event, the actives come and pick up their bag of goodies and then do the craft/cook the items at home on zoom.

Chapter meals are individually packaged meals from local places that the girls pick up via a “drive-by” party. Scholarship banquet turned into a gift card party where girls randomly received $10 and $20 dining cards to local restaurants.

My guess is that the author’s chapter isn’t being quite as creative or that she didn’t include all of these smaller expenses that are adding up to the regular costs for date parties, mixers and semis.

If there is money left at the end of the semester, the chapter can vote to have it refunded to the members. That happened in the spring for both chapters and I imagine it will happen this fall as well.

So, to answer your question, the chapters I know are still charging the same amount in dues, it is just being spent in new ways or refunded.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

Kudos to your chapters on their creativity and dedication to keeping members engaged!
Old 11-20-2020, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

It probably also has to do with some families facing financial hardships of their own. $1000 is a lot of things are tough.