GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 892
0 members and 892 guests
No Members online

Old 03-09-2015, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I interpreted the First Amendment statement as trying to be applied to the fraternity, who of course would not be bound by it. Has the university done anything other than pull recognition of the chapter, which is a moot point as the fraternity has yanked the charter?
Old 03-09-2015, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
SWTXBelle, what a spectacular idea!!!

I actually bet that he will be snapped up by another house on campus, but helping Howard through this rough patch was a fantastic idea. Glad to see that someone set this up. Off to make my donation....
To give credit where credit is due, Kevin first posted it. I was happy to give my little bit to help Howard, and figured y'all would like to, also!
Old 03-09-2015, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
To give credit where credit is due, Kevin first posted it. I was happy to give my little bit to help Howard, and figured y'all would like to, also!
Then hat tip to Kevin, too!!
Old 03-09-2015, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
I interpreted the First Amendment statement as trying to be applied to the fraternity, who of course would not be bound by it. Has the university done anything other than pull recognition of the chapter, which is a moot point as the fraternity has yanked the charter?
The University is investigating to determine exactly which members were involved before imposing punishments on individuals. I expect to see some harsh punishments from Boren.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I just made a small donation and the fund was very close to $25,000. My heart is heavy that those young men would sing a song like that with Howard taking such good care of them. Did any of them realize at the time that this would be hurtful to him? I hope he lands in a new job where they care about him.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
I just made a small donation and the fund was very close to $25,000. My heart is heavy that those young men would sing a song like that with Howard taking such good care of them. Did any of them realize at the time that this would be hurtful to him? I hope he lands in a new job where they care about him.
Well said, Sig Kap sister. I just made my small donation. All the best for Howard.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KDMafia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
KDMafia, I know that you said POTENTIALLY. I have to point out that there is no evidence that I have seen that shows any of the women joining in with this horrific behavior. Have you seen anything to the contrary? I think it is very clear that there were women on that bus that disagreed enormously with what was going on. That is why they videoed the actions and then exposed these racist little pricks for the bigots that they are.
!
I have not seen anything indicating other than rumors hence the phrase potentially. However, only one person video taped that and turned it in. I think to pretend that all of the dates, which most likely comprised of a majority sorority members, were obviously appalled is naive in the extreme and does not help us in moving forward from this incident in a true and productive way. Obviously this wasn't the first time they sang the song together as a fraternity, and they sure seemed completely okay with singing it out loud in public, which assumes some level of assurance that those present would be okay which probably indicates that this song has been sung in front of others before.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

This blogpost popped up on my news feed. Thought it was worth sharing, and not sure it has been shared yet.

ETA: Oops - I see it a ways back. Still worth posting again.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't see why the "last black member from OU’s ‘racist’ fraternity" has to answer for this. Or why the word racist is in quotes.
http://kfor.com/2015/03/09/last-blac...t-time-in-sae/

Quote:
William Bruce James II, who says he was the second and last black SAE member at OU, spoke with KFOR’s Linda Cavanaugh about his thoughts on the incident.

James, who pledged to SAE 14 years ago, says he felt shock and disbelief after watching the video.

The SAE alumnus says he never felt like his fraternity brothers were racist.

“I never heard anything like that while I was there,” he said. “My brothers wouldn’t have allowed it…. That song wouldn’t have been sung.”

James says the fact that the current members in the video knew all of the words to the mean-spirited chant shows that this wasn’t a random act.

“This has been going on for some period of time,” he said.

Since the video was released, James says he has seen an outpouring of support from his fraternity brothers.

“They’re helping me be less angry about it,” he said.

Although he has the support from his brothers, James says he still feels like he is grieving.

“I feel like I’ve lost a family member,” James said. “That pure bond of brotherhood, I don’t know if I’ll ever get that back.”

Last edited by robinseggblue; 03-09-2015 at 10:59 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Tri Delts: "The behavior documented in the video is deplorable and is in no way consistent with Tri Delta's ideals and core values. http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...-video-n320406
Old 03-09-2015, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Essay: The Tainted 'Gentlemen' of Sigma Alpha Epsilon http://nbcnews.to/1BqihJ3 via @NBCNews
Old 03-10-2015, 08:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Well this is just lovely. A video from 2013 of SAE house mom saying the N-word over and over. She might be singing along to rap music playing, but that doesn't make it right.

http://totalfratmove.com/lets-see-ho...a-in-one-vine/
Old 03-10-2015, 08:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Essays from Greek Chatters:

http://oldgoldsoul.com/2015/03/09/i-...en-saehatesme/

http://www.franbecque.com/2015/03/09/march-9/

http://oldgoldsoul.com/2015/03/10/i-...er-saehatesme/
Old 03-10-2015, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for posting these, Sen, and for writing two of them.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

I thank me for writing them too.

Lol jk. Fran has posted a follow up. Would post the link but I'm currently mobile.