GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,826
1 members and 1,825 guests
Cookiez17

Old 03-07-2013, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Affiliating

Recently our daughter (Sophomore) transferred from one SEC school to another. She was given the email of the person to contact at her new school regarding information on affiliating. It took over a month before that person emailed back. Two emails have been exchanged. The last emailed sent from the DG person listed a telephone number and told my daughter to get in touch about attending a chapter meeting to meet the members and talk more about affiliating. Our daughter left a cell message for this young lady on Tuesday night but has had no return phone call.

She isn't sure how to take all of this. She doesn't know if this chapter isn't accepting of affiliates or if this person is just over the top busy all the time. She wants to work on affiliating in time to participate in Rush next Fall so she needs to go to the workshops this Spring. Plus she wants to get to know the members before they break for the Summer. DG means alot to her and she wants to fully participate but isn't going to bust in somewhere that's not open to her being there.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-08-2013, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

I didn't have a daughter initiated in Nov 2012. That must be another forum member.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

It's possible that the officer in charge doesn't understand how affiliation works. It's possible that they don't accept affiliates (chapters can choose not to) but they would welcome visits.
Does she have another person whom she could contact in the chapter? PM me if you'd like.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

update: member contacted our daughter and is sending her the paperwork and also setting up a time to meet with a group of girls at the house and talk. So all seems to be in process.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Glad it has worked out!

Here's what I usually advise on affiliation:
No two DG chapters (or any other sorority, for that matter) are alike. There's no guarantee that you will love the chapter at the new school as much as your chapter of initiation.
I would suggest holding off a semester before affiliating. Make a lot of visits to the house...hang out, get to know members.
If you like them, and they like you, and they accept affiliates, go for it!
But if your personalities clash, if you don't like the way they do things, etc....there's no need to affiliate. You retain your Delta Gamma membership.
IF you affiliate in haste and hate it, your only recourse would be to resign from the Fraternity - not just the newer chapter. Forever.
If you affiliate and love it, then all is well.

Of course, your daughter may already know chapter members and it's clear sailing. I know she's anxious to get involved in recruitment for the fall. But it would be a shame to be miserable in the chapter.
Just food for thought.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

update is that she has received several emails over the summer about affiliating. Laying the ground work. She received an email this week with a powerpoint about what colors and styles to wear each day. she will meet up with someone in the coming weeks and they want her to come to work week. Her outfits are together and hope to be approved soon. We assume since she hasn't been voted in as an affiliate that she will man a back table or be in the kitchen during recruitment but she will be able to attend.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh, good! I'm so glad for her (and you)!
If she's going where I think she is, there should be no problem, except maybe waiting for the paperwork to clear its hurdles!

Old 07-16-2013, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamomof2 View Post
update is that she has received several emails over the summer about affiliating. Laying the ground work. She received an email this week with a powerpoint about what colors and styles to wear each day. she will meet up with someone in the coming weeks and they want her to come to work week. Her outfits are together and hope to be approved soon. We assume since she hasn't been voted in as an affiliate that she will man a back table or be in the kitchen during recruitment but she will be able to attend.
Glad you heard back. Honestly....we have to remember that these are college women and aren't always on top of things, especially late in the Spring semester or, Good Heavens, summer . I had a big chapter and my sister affiliated with us from another school--but even then, they were a little slow to get it all done. I bet that once recruitment practice starts and once school starts, she'll be able to introduce herself and see if it is a good fit. Good luck to her!
Old 07-19-2013, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Looking back, our chapter had two girls who transferred in to FSU and affiliated, and everyone liked them. One was from UF and the other from Alabama.

It's odd that collegiates don't automatically affiliate and that it was a chapter decision. When we're alums, we're all in the same boat that has the same anchor, after all.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlum View Post
Looking back, our chapter had two girls who transferred in to FSU and affiliated, and everyone liked them. One was from UF and the other from Alabama.

It's odd that collegiates don't automatically affiliate and that it was a chapter decision. When we're alums, we're all in the same boat that has the same anchor, after all.
From what I remember - and I don't remember specifics - it's mostly a situation with total. Affiliating meant they could pledge one less woman?...I never was quite clear on that.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

quick update. she is affiliated!! so happy to be an active again and looking forward to recruitment.