GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,467
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Bioxtrim
» Online Users: 1,472
2 members and 1,470 guests
Cookiez17, Xidelt

Old 11-14-2010, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKGCaroline View Post
I found a funny today, I do feel very sorry that the women would have suffered some humiliation, but I couln't help think of The Simpsons episode where Homer gets stuck on the Water Flume :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...ter-slide.html
I'm not large by any means, but I have a serious fear of this. I WILL NOT go into a water slide that is in an enclosed tube without panicking A LOT first if I go in at all.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-15-2010, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40162366/

AP Strange NewsBrief at 3:10 p.m. EST (2 days ago)
Old 11-15-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHwku View Post
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40162366/

AP Strange NewsBrief at 3:10 p.m. EST (2 days ago)
LOL about the KY man being forced to eat his beard. Lawrenceberg is about 35-40 minutes west of Lexington.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh, wasn't this posted on here? I read something about San Francisco talking about banning circumcision. Ummm...what?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/1..._n_783191.html

Last edited by LucyKKG; 11-17-2010 at 03:15 AM. Reason: added link
Old 11-17-2010, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyKKG View Post
Oh, wasn't this posted on here? I read something about San Francisco talking about banning circumcision. Ummm...what?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/1..._n_783191.html
They'll try. The Happy Meal ban was vetoed btw.

Circumcision is a tricky topic. On one hand it's fairly small, has low complications, and some very small medical benefits and much stronger cultural or religious benefits. On the other hand it's elective surgery done on an infant without his ability to consent, frequently with little/no anesthetic if procedures haven't changed much over the years, and it has long lasting effects throughout his adult life.

*All because Americans think foreskin is squicky? :-/

*Religious circumcisions exempted from the last comment, however they still have to deal with the first paragraph.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I have another gem!

Quote:
Doctor Sues Restaurant for Letting Him Eat Entire Artichoke
WAITER FAILED 'TO EXPLAIN THE PROPER METHOD'

Just because Arturo Carvajal is a doctor, that doesn't mean he knows how to eat an artichoke—and he's suing a Miami restaurant for not instructing him on the proper method.
http://www.newser.com/story/105638/d...artichoke.html
Old 11-18-2010, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanygirl View Post
I'm not large by any means, but I have a serious fear of this. I WILL NOT go into a water slide that is in an enclosed tube without panicking A LOT first if I go in at all.
One of my friends on another board is with the CDC. He always says that he'd rather his kids play in the commode rather than a water slide. I haven't been able to look at one since.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^
never thought of that. ew. gross.
i'm just terrified of getting stuck and the water keeps coming down and i am trapped in that small space drowning.

i swear if i had a past life, I drowned in it.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Circumcision is a tricky topic. On one hand it's fairly small, has low complications, and some very small medical benefits and much stronger cultural or religious benefits. On the other hand it's elective surgery done on an infant without his ability to consent, frequently with little/no anesthetic if procedures haven't changed much over the years, and it has long lasting effects throughout his adult life.

*All because Americans think foreskin is squicky? :-/

*Religious circumcisions exempted from the last comment, however they still have to deal with the first paragraph.
It should be up to the parents, not the government. AFAIK parents are asked if they want their son circumcised, the hospital won't do it if the parents don't want it done. Not everyone practices good hygiene and I've heard of uncircumcised guys getting urinary tract infections from not keeping their junk clean.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
It should be up to the parents, not the government. AFAIK parents are asked if they want their son circumcised, the hospital won't do it if the parents don't want it done. Not everyone practices good hygiene and I've heard of uncircumcised guys getting urinary tract infections from not keeping their junk clean.
Yep. Parents make all kinds of serious and sometimes life altering medical choices on behalf of their children. And it might be elective (aside from those who want it removed for religious reasons), but where is the line drawn? Parents can choose whether or not to vaccinate their children, so surely they have a choice here.

And yes, some people find it icky. I do, I can't help it. Possibly because I have dated an uncircumcised guy that was sometimes pretty nonchalant about his hygiene.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 11-21-2010, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumiyum View Post
Yep. Parents make all kinds of serious and sometimes life altering medical choices on behalf of their children. And it might be elective (aside from those who want it removed for religious reasons), but where is the line drawn? Parents can choose whether or not to vaccinate their children, so surely they have a choice here.

And yes, some people find it icky. I do, I can't help it. Possibly because I have dated an uncircumcised guy that was sometimes pretty nonchalant about his hygiene.
Vaccination - saves lives, prevents illness. People who don't vaccinate their children without physician approval and oversight - for legit medical complications - are irresponsible and putting many people at risk.

Circumcision for the vast majority of American families is an elective procedure that is entirely too concerned about what their son's penis looks like when he's a grown up. Anecdotal evidence aside, there's nothing less clean about a guy with foreskin, there's only guys who can't be bothered to wash thoroughly.

Quote:
The only reason people are ok with voluntary circumcision in the US is because it is done so commonly here. Everyone does it so many people don't think twice about it. I don't believe Europe has higher incidences of UTIs than America so maybe it's more that American families don't teach their uncircumcised sons how to wash. We're kind of an aberration in this particular elective surgical field and not acknowledging that serves no one well.

We would think poorly of parents who did pretty much any other type of elective surgery on every single fe/male child, right? So why is circumcision the exception to that? No reasons other than culture.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Vaccination - saves lives, prevents illness. People who don't vaccinate their children without physician approval and oversight - for legit medical complications - are irresponsible and putting many people at risk.

Circumcision for the vast majority of American families is an elective procedure that is entirely too concerned about what their son's penis looks like when he's a grown up. Anecdotal evidence aside, there's nothing less clean about a guy with foreskin, there's only guys who can't be bothered to wash thoroughly.

The only reason people are ok with voluntary circumcision in the US is because it is done so commonly here. Everyone does it so many people don't think twice about it. I don't believe Europe has higher incidences of UTIs than America so maybe it's more that American families don't teach their uncircumcised sons how to wash. We're kind of an aberration in this particular elective surgical field and not acknowledging that serves no one well.

We would think poorly of parents who did pretty much any other type of elective surgery on every single fe/male child, right? So why is circumcision the exception to that? No reasons other than culture.
But what is the risk, here? How many of these procedures have mishaps, out of the who knows how many performed every day? I guess my take is, is it really that big of a deal? Were there an equivalent surgery for females (that basically everyone in the country has done, is safe) I don't think I'd feel any differently.

Groucho Marx
Old 11-21-2010, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well the same can be said for circumcision in regards to HIV/AIDS. Ultimately I don't think the gov should make circumcisions illegal, It should be up to the parents no matter what their reasoning is or isn't.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well the same can be said for circumcision in regards to HIV/AIDS. Ultimately I don't think the gov should make circumcisions illegal, It should be up to the parents no matter what their reasoning is or isn't.
That's the first time I've heard that.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
What's the connection there?

Groucho Marx