GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,287
0 members and 2,287 guests
No Members online

Old 07-12-2007, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

That's right, another retro thread. . .

Okay, the number of people posting retro threads seems to be dwindling, so I’ll do my part to fill the pre-Auburn vacuum and post my recruitment experience (plus, this helps time move more quickly at work). My story certainly doesn’t have the all the frills of honeychile’s, the graphics of Leslie’s or the humor of Sensuret’s, but I still hope you enjoy it. Before I get to my actual recruitment experience, I think it’ll help clarify what I was looking for and why I made certain decisions if I explain how I ended up there in the first place. Please bear with me as I tend to ramble.

I started college in the fall of 2000 at Umass Amherst and initially had no interest in Greek life. To my knowledge, no one in my family was Greek before me and it wasn’t anything my friends from high school had ever discussed Interestingly, however, two of my closest girl friends from high school also joined sororities at another school and my very best friend to this day says not doing so is her biggest regret from undergrad. But, I digress, so I arrive on campus in September 2000 as a member of the honors college and am living on an honors floor located in the Southwest Residential Area. For those of you familiar with Umass, I’m sure you understand the disconnect of this, and for everyone else, it’s really just odd. Southwest is an area of high density high rises that is known for housing the schools biggest partiers and most of its athletes. Usually honors students were housed in other, less rowdy, areas. However, the honors college apparently wanted to appeal to kids who were looking for a good education & the chance to be in Southwest as well. Never one to pass up a party (something that would become problematic later), I jumped at the chance to live there. Anyway, since I was living & taking classes with all the people on my floor, I quickly became very close to them and didn’t consider many other ways to get involved on campus. I had always been really involved in high school (3 sports, mock trial, DECA, etc.) so college at this point seemed more like a vacation to me; I went to my classes and I went to parties with the girls from my floor.

During this first semester, aside from going to frat parties, I have very little memory of the sororities presence on campus. I don’t know if I’m just forgetting it now almost 7 years later, or if they really weren’t that visible. It probably doesn’t matter what the situation is anyway, because I recognize I probably wouldn’t have been very good at recruitment at that point in my life. As I said, even though I was in the honors college, I was partying a bit too much, which I’ve since gotten over & learned it’s not usually considered desirable in a rushee.

Throughout my freshman year I gradually became more grounded & made friends outside of my floor; specifically with a guy in a fraternity who became one of my closest friends. Second semester, several of my girl friends decided to rush and my interest was piqued. Suddenly, Greeks were all around me. Regardless, I decided not to go through recruitment that semester. In spite of my good friends, my main experience with sorority women at that point had been with a senior in one my classes first semester. I can’t remember specifically why anymore, but I found her EXTREMELY abrasive and stupidly (I know, I know) decided that if she was in a sorority, it probably wasn’t something I was interested in. That semester, one of my friends very happily joined a sorority and I went home for the summer realizing the idea of joining a sorority was growing increasingly more appealing.

Back to work for a bit…I’ll post again as soon as I can.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay!!! A Massachusetts Theta Phi thread all in one!!!
Old 07-12-2007, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Despite my newfound interest in going through recruitment sophomore year, it never panned out. Over that summer I began dating an older guy (a super-senior to my freshman) who was vehemently anti-Greek and I let his beliefs influence me far too much over that summer. I never became anti-Greek myself, but I recognized that if I were to join a sorority, it would be a huge strain on our relationship, something I wasn’t willing to do at that point. Also, by second semester I had decided to transfer. UMass was going through some budgetary woes at that time, with programs being cut left and right, including public safety, which was especially troubling considering there had been a series of sexual assaults in the dorm next to mine. Let’s just say it’s rather unsettling to not be able to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night by yourself since that was the rapists’ reported M.O. (Sidenote, I understand that UMass is MUCH safer now & I would not have any qualms about sending my future daughters there). After giving it some serious thought, I decided it was time to look into continuing my education elsewhere.

I’m heading home, the next update will be tomorrow.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

i would love to hear a northern recruitment story!
Old 07-12-2007, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Aw I remember visiting UMass on a college tour through the northeast my junior year of high school. The tour guide was a bit quirky but I remember that I just loved the campus for some reason. Keep going!
Old 07-12-2007, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

i cant wait for the update =]

CW
Old 07-13-2007, 08:15 AM
GreekChat Member

A northern one, this is greeeaaaat!

I love this one! A real northern one. I love it and love they way you are writing it. I guess I know it turns out well, but the suspense of this one is really there. Great, great job! I can't wait to find out what happens! LOL
Old 07-13-2007, 09:18 AM
GreekChat Member

A new school

Despite the safety/budget things going on at Umass in 2001/2002, it wasn’t an easy decision for me to leave. Over the previous semesters I’d made some great friends and really enjoyed the atmosphere. But in the light of the fact I was primarily there to get an education in a safe environment, with the help of my parents I decided to transfer. The school I ended up choosing was a very small Catholic (Augustinian) liberal arts school north of Boston, Merrimack College. MC was pretty much the opposite of “ZooMass” in every way. There were only 2100 students and pretty much everyone lived on the enclosed campus. Although it’s quite liberal for a Catholic school, it was still Catholic and Campus Ministry was a large presence. Having grown up in an EXTREMELY lapsed Catholic family and attending public school my entire life until that point, I was afraid that I was in for a bit of a culture shock. Before going to MC, I had never considered that my boyfriend (the same guy from before) wouldn’t be able to stay in my room when he came to visit and I was shocked to learn that the underclass dorms were dry.

During the summer of 2002 I started to get REALLY nervous about the move the MC. It was just so different after the uber-liberal large state school environment at Umass. Would I be able to make friends as a sophomore/junior or would everyone at this small school be settled into their cliques already? Would I chafe unbearably under the rules? What was I thinking? As the summer drew to a close, some of my fears were allayed. I found out that although MC has some traditional Catholic school rules on the books (dry, single sex dorms), they’re not very strongly enforced and the overall campus culture is quite liberal. It is still Massachusetts, after all. In spite of this, I was still anxious about the prospect of making new friends. Most upperclassmen live in on campus apartments & townhouses, but because I was considered a sophomore because of transferring, I was assigned to a sophomore dorm.

Just before school started, I received a mailing from the Office of Student Activities promoting Greek Life at MC. Until then, I hadn’t really considered the prospect that Greek Life might still be an option for me but I began to see it as a way to open doors and help me make friends in this new and somewhat foreign environment. I became determined to at least check out what Greek Life was like at MC, in spite of my boyfriends’ reservations.

Upon moving onto campus that fall, I realized I hadn’t been housed in a sophomore dorm, so much as in a hall filled almost entirely of transfer students. Much to my delight, many of the other girls were also interested in Greek Life. Although I really liked the girls on my floor, I wasn’t going to let my friendship with them stop me from becoming involved, the way I had at Umass. I refused to become complacent so early in the school year again.

From the beginning of the year informal recruitment signs were all over campus. At MC there is informal recruitment in the fall for transfers & upperclassmen where the chapters can bid to total and formal deferred recruitment for freshman is held in the spring. There are three NPC chapters at Merrimack:

Alpha Sigma Tau
Theta Phi Alpha
Zeta Tau Alpha

Since I am getting excited to see the new Harry Potter movie and don’t want to give away the ending to my story too early (even though you already know where I end up), I’ll give them code names after Harry Potter characters. In no order:

Hermione Granger
Harry Potter
Ron Weasley

Time to do some work. Next update I’ll explain the way recruitment works at Merrimack and the various other girls from my floor who participated with me. I'll try to keep this moving a brisk pace, I know how frustrating it is when these drag on. Thanks for reading!
Old 07-13-2007, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

In 2002, fall informal recruitment at Merrimack was structured as follows:
On Monday, there was an Information Night where Panhel would present an overview of the Greek system & the informal recruitment process in general and answer any questions that the prospective rushees had. Members of all the sororities were present wearing their letters. I don’t remember forming any particular impressions of the groups on that night since I was most focused on the Panhel reps (who were not wearing letters) and what they had to say. I remember the sisters of the various orgs more of sitting on the perimeter. However, I had formed impressions of the groups before Recruitment started since it was the third week of school and I had seen members around campus and already had a chance to interact with them in classes and such. I’ll explain my impressions of the groups in a bit.
On Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday each of the groups would have a party in the Campus Center (none of the sororities at Merrimack are housed). Ron Weasley was Tuesday night, Hermione Granger was Wednesday and Harry Potter was Thursday. Rushees could attend whichever parties they wished, but were strongly encouraged to attend all three. There were no bid cards to be filled out and no limit on how many bids a rushee could be given. Bids would be given out on Friday. It wasn’t indicated what time bids would go out.

I attended the Info session with a few other ladies from my hall. Their presence and opinions shaped my experience, so I’ll provide a bit of background about each of them (names changed).

Caroline: Transfer from a school in the south where she had been offered, but denied, a bid from Pi Phi. Was initially only interested in Ron Weasley, despite the fact she categorized them as “leftover dorks” at her old school. From an extremely wealthy family, but very nice and down to earth.

Allison: Transfer student from a state school in New England. Also very wealthy, and not afraid to talk about it. Partied A LOT. When she introduced herself to me she said “Hi, I’m Allison and I was the first girl to get alcohol poisoning at State U. last year.” Yikes.

Megan: Transfer student also from Umass (although we never knew each other)who was also in my major. Was mostly going through recruitment because the rest of us were. Had a rocky first couple of weeks at Merrimack due to a really bad roommate situation. She was a little nervous about the prospect of Greek Life because she didn’t party much and was concerned that’s what it was all about. A bit naïve, but very sweet.

Melissa: Transfer student from another school in Massachusetts where she had been a new member, but then de-pledged from Alpha Phi because she was transferring. Was super nice & hysterically funny. Because of her experience with Alpha Phi, I think she had a better idea of what she was looking for.

Also, because recruitment was the third week of school, as I previously mentioned, I’d already formed some opinions of the groups before attending their parties. However, none of the chapters at Merrimack are also at Umass, so any experiences I had with sorority women at Umass really didn’t impact my views on the individual groups at Merrimack.

Ron Weasley: I had met a few of them the first weekend of school when Megan and I had gone out to some parties on campus. Megan had gone to high school with a sister from Ron Weasley. They seemed to know how to have a good time and were very visible on campus (always wearing letters). The sisters were usually very put together. The ones I had met at the parties were very friendly when I saw them around campus.

Hermione Granger: When I received the info about recruitment over the summer, I noticed one of the pictured sisters of Hermione Granger was a girl who I had gone to high school with (now graduated from Merrimack) and really liked. Also, there were two Hermione Grangers in one of my classes, Nicole and Jenn, one of whom was my presentation partner. They were both really down to earth and friendly. Nicole and I had spent a lot of time together before recruitment during class and such. She was excited when I told her was I going to recruitment, which made me feel really welcome. Melissa’s RA was a Hermione Granger, and she really didn’t like her, so that kind of turned me off and neutralized how much I was interested in them because of Nicole.

Harry Potter: I didn’t know any Harry Potters socially or from class (unusual given how small Merrimack is). I had seen a couple of girls wearing letters, but it was usually the same two girls. They were definitely not as visible as either of the other two groups. They had a chapter at a school where my good friend from high school was in a local, and my friend had advised me they weren’t very strong on her campus. This definitely shaped my impression of Harry Potter.

Parties will be in the next update…hopefully this afternoon.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

The Harry Potter movie was good and I just know this thread will be too!
Old 07-13-2007, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't have time for another big installment before leaving work today and I'm out of town this weekend, so the parties will have to wait till Monday, but I remembered a couple more details this afternoon.

Caroline was not only exclusively interested in Ron Weasely, but more or less stated that she was guaranteed a bid because she, too, had a high school friend in the chapter.

Also, even though the four of us were approaching recruitment together, after the info session we discussed the possibility that we would end up at different chapters, and were okay with that possibility.

Finally, a note about recruitment at Merrimack in general. It is a small school in the north and is generally not very competitive. It's not a big deal for juniors to get bids and usually during formal *most* girls are matched somewhere. However, at this time two of the chapters generally hovered around total while the third was smaller, so PNM's (both during formal & informal) tended to compete for spots in the two larger, and therefore typically more desired, chapters.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Holy crap, this is right up my alley! Half my graduating class goes to Merrimack and I know 2 of the chapter presidents now! UPDATE ASAP
Old 07-16-2007, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Ron Weasley's Party

GymnastA, check your PMs.

Tuesday afternoon, prior to Ron Weasley’s party, Allison announced she had changed her mind about Recruitment and didn’t want to be part of a sorority. She said it just wasn’t “her thing.” Oh, well. I later found out she was afraid of being rejected by all the groups, which made me sad. Although we hadn’t been great friends, that didn’t set well with me, and that aspect of Greek Life still bothers me a bit.

But anyway, back on topic. We had been instructed by Panhel that casual dress was fine for each of the parties so I wore a chocolate J.Crew cowl neck, Abercrombie jeans (I’m guessing many southerners just cringed?) and camel colored leather boots. I arrived at Ron Weasley’s party by myself (for the life of me, I can’t remember why I wasn’t with the other girls). The room was nicely decorated with lots of white Christmas lights and pictures and various paraphernalia everywhere. However, I was immediately intimidated because all of the sisters of Ron Weasely were wearing black cocktail dresses, which was a little off-putting in contrast to my casual outfit. Fortunately, all of the other rushees had also followed panhel’s advice and were dressed casually too. As I was still adjusting to the initial shock of entering a room with 30 women in cocktail dresses, I was warmly greeted by a sister named Kirsten. When she found out I was transfer she introduced me around to a sister who was also a transfer student. That sister, Melanie, showed me some various photo albums and their “brag book” and explained how Ron Weasley had helped her transition to Merrimack. After having some fancy little hors d’ouevers and punch she introduced me to the chapter president and a handful of other sisters. At some point, dues and various social activities were discussed, too. As I had already figured out, Ron Weasley was really involved on campus and had some great campus leaders in their chapter. I really enjoyed meeting everyone and was feeling pretty comfortable. Altogether this mingling probably lasted about 45 minutes.

Next, a couple of the Ron Weasley sisters sang a popular song with the words changed to be about their chapter. It was a moving song to begin with and a few sisters cried during the personalized parts. It was touching and I remember thinking I’d like to feel that strongly about an organization that I could be moved to tears. After the song, there was more mingling and Kirsten came back over to me and whispered “Don’t mention it to anyone else, but we’re having a party on Saturday night in my apartment and you should come.” I didn’t make the connection at the time, but Saturday was AFTER bid day. I thought it was pretty cool that she wanted to hang out with me and as the party ended I felt good about Ron Weasley and decided I would really like to get a bid from them. Most of the sisters remembered by name and specifically said “Bye, LegallyBrunette!” as I was leaving.

Later that evening, Megan, Melissa, Caroline and I met to discuss the party. In spite of her earlier statements, Caroline had actually missed Ron Weasley’s party because she had a night lab that had run late. She was a little upset, but since it was informal, she planned to meet with some sisters later on and figured it wouldn’t be a big deal. Melissa had really liked the party as well and was pretty much ready to be a Ron Weasley right then. Megan had a good time but had described Ron Weasley as feeling a little “too fancy” for her.

The four of us all were in agreement that we wanted to see what the other chapters, especially Hermione Granger, had to offer. I called my boyfriend, who was still less than thrilled with the whole idea of my joining a sorority, but I was so upbeat from Ron Weasley’s party that I didn’t let his negativity bother me. I went to bed in a really good mood.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Whoa! I'll take that as a dose of bid promising...good thing you didn't make the connection!

UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE!
Old 07-16-2007, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Hermione Granger's Party

AlwaysSAI, I definitely didn’t make any sort of connection about bid promising at the time. Even now when I think about it, I’m not positive what Kirsten said actually amounted to bid promising. Even though the process was somewhat structured, it was informal recruitment so even if it had been reported to panhel, I’m not sure what consequences, if any, there would have been. I didn’t mention it to the other girls I was rushing with so I don’t know if this was something Kirsten repeated or if she just got excited and said it to me in the moment.

Anyway, on Wednesday morning I woke up excited to check out Hermione Granger that night. Much to my dismay, however, as I was getting ready for class, I glanced at my planner and noticed I was scheduled to work that night (I was working 20 minutes off campus at a restaurant). I had completely forgotten to take that night off from work! Disappointed, I spent the day on my cell phone calling other people I worked with to see if anyone could cover my shift. Unfortunately, no one was available. With no other options, I headed to work, resigning myself to missing the Hermione Granger party