GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,129
2 members and 1,127 guests
ajanessshulze31, g41965

Old 03-04-2003, 06:06 PM

Angry Miss Black Penn State pageant not needed

EDITED: This is an EDITORIAL written by Marty Waddington that expresses her belief that a separate pageant is not longer needed @ Penn State.

Miss Black Penn State pageant not needed

I often hear people complain about reverse racism. If there is BET then why can't we have WET. Black history month is February. How about making March white history month? We even have our own "reverse" racism here at Penn State with the Miss Black Penn State Pageant. This event is different from BET or black history month because it has become an unnecessary event, unlike BET or black history month whose necessity could be proved. Congratulations to the 2003 winner Naomi Williams; maybe she can compare notes with the other black pageant winner, Carly Hughes. Oh wait, Hughes isn't the winner of a black pageant. She is simply the winner of the annual Miss Penn State Pageant. The fact that an African-American contestant won the Miss Penn State crown is proof that there is no need for the Miss Black Penn State contest. Doesn't Williams feel cheated? Maybe she could have been the one to make history like Hughes did, becoming the first black Miss Penn State, instead she is just another Miss Black Penn State. Hughes proved that a person of color can in fact win the pageant, Williams only proved that she would rather participate in a racist event.

Marty Waddington

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive...-letter-06.asp

Last edited by CrimsonTide4; 03-04-2003 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-04-2003, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Miss Black Penn State pageant not needed

Quote:
Originally posted by LilPrincess21
Miss Black Penn State pageant not needed

I often hear people complain about reverse racism. If there is BET then why can't we have WET. Black history month is February. How about making March white history month? We even have our own "reverse" racism here at Penn State with the Miss Black Penn State Pageant. This event is different from BET or black history month because it has become an unnecessary event, unlike BET or black history month whose necessity could be proved. Congratulations to the 2003 winner Naomi Williams; maybe she can compare notes with the other black pageant winner, Carly Hughes. Oh wait, Hughes isn't the winner of a black pageant. She is simply the winner of the annual Miss Penn State Pageant. The fact that an African-American contestant won the Miss Penn State crown is proof that there is no need for the Miss Black Penn State contest. Doesn't Williams feel cheated? Maybe she could have been the one to make history like Hughes did, becoming the first black Miss Penn State, instead she is just another Miss Black Penn State. Hughes proved that a person of color can in fact win the pageant, Williams only proved that she would rather participate in a racist event.

Marty Waddington

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive...-letter-06.asp
I wonder has this person ever been to the Miss Black Penn State pageant or even bothered to RESEARCH why it was created? Or is she just running off at the mouth because of the title and she what she THINKS it means?
Old 03-04-2003, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Why are you bragging that its taken this long for a black student to win the PSU pagaent? Are you ignorant enough to believe that there were not worthy black contestants in the past? Trust me - there were. And I dare say if you put ANY of the former Miss Black Penn State winners up against the Miss PSU the Miss Black Penn State Women would win out the majority of the time! The fact that 16 years after I first entered PSU there is finally a black winner of the "mainstream" pagaent does not take away the need or the reasons why Miss Black Penn State was created.

CONGRATULATIONS NAOMI WILLIAMS - you join a long line of beautiful and illustrious women. Hold your head up with PRIDE my sister.

Marty: You'd do well to learn your CAMPUS history before you spout off about things you know nothing about. I entered PSU in 1987 - (grad in 1992) students were still protesting to get the university to divest from South Africa! I proudly attended the pagaent every year - to see some real talent and support a good cause. As an alumni we talk to current students and it is sad to hear them fighting the same battles we did. For all the positive things happening on too many levels nothing has changed - because each year a new class of freshman with their closed minds and ignorant attitudes invade the campus. Don't be fooled by the logo....everything wasn't always good in Happy Valley.

By the way - turn your tv on ABC/CBS/NBC and FOX ARE WET - they just don't use those call letters.

Last edited by stardusttwin; 03-04-2003 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stardusttwin

Lil Princess/Marty/ whoever you are: You'd do well to learn your CAMPUS history before you spout off about things you know nothing about.
FYI -- LILPRINCESS was passing the article along that MARTY wrote.