GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,427
2 members and 1,425 guests
naraht, Sen's Revenge

Old 08-12-2009, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phimusam View Post
There is something on the College Confidential board about Alabama lowering entry GPAs this year in order to increase number of students. If so, it makes sense that the GPAs coming through rush would be lower.
Interesting. I was asked to write references for several UA PNMs. And, I was startled by how low some of the high school GPAs were this year. Makes sense now.

GreekChat.com - The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-12-2009, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by libelle View Post
Interesting. I was asked to write references for several UA PNMs. And, I was startled by how low some of the high school GPAs were this year. Makes sense now.
I hadn't really thought about it before, but yeah, I saw one GPA that really surprised me and she was going to Alabama.

I should have wondered how she was going to "The Capstone" with lower than a 3.0 out of high school and kind of average SATs.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Regarding the grades being low this year, I just spoke with someone at Bama about that. Actually the grades for incoming freshmen have been steadily going up over the past few years - even though the enrollment has been increasing. They have definitely not lowered the requirements in order to increase enrollment. They feel that the lower grades for rushees is simply an anomaly and has nothing to do with the increased enrollment.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAblondeGPhi View Post
KK Bama, the MVP I advised last year is a CLC with your ladies this year! I have heard great things about the chapter and am looking forward to wonderful recruitment updates! I'm sending my love and pink carnations your way.
Thank you, thank you! Everything is going wonderfully this year for us. I'm heading down tonight to bunk up for 3 nights. I took tomorrow off work to help out my girls!
Old 08-13-2009, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

good luck to your chapter kk bama. update as you can.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk_bama View Post
Thank you, thank you! Everything is going wonderfully this year for us. I'm heading down tonight to bunk up for 3 nights. I took tomorrow off work to help out my girls!
Sending loads of good wishes and Gamma Phi love your way!
Old 08-13-2009, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
good luck to your chapter kk bama. update as you can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
Sending loads of good wishes and Gamma Phi love your way!
Thank you ladies! I'll post some photos on Sunday.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi kkbama!

I'm thrilled you will be posting pics on Sunday...I feel so out of the loop since I moved from Alabama to Virginia 3 years ago.

I love seeing pics of any sort from rush. My Tuscaloosa days may have been forever ago...but it brings back memories like it was just yesterday :-)

Have a safe trip & enjoy yourself!!
Old 08-13-2009, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Univ. of Alabama

This is what the latest U.S. News & World Report lists for the University of Alabama. Data is from 2007, which is used by all the universities for that issue. The next rankings are due in late August 2009. Rankings data will be from 2008.

National Universities:
Alabama Ranked 83rd
ACT Range 21-27
Acceptance Rate 64%
Freshmen in top 10% of high school class 38%

No mean or average GPA was listed for the University of Alabama.

U.S. News rankings can be controversial.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk_bama View Post
Wish we could have been there at the same time! It was so wonderful to be there helping, even though I had to park on the other side of the stadium! It was HOT HOT HOT!!!!!

The girls in the chapter are GREAT! The CLC Hayley is awesome - even though she is from my crosstown rival school

There were three of us Gamma Phi alums who drove all the way from Peachtree City to help (nearly 4 hr drive one way!) and we were very impressed with the chapter President - one of the other alums is a retired Army officer - I am retired AF - and we both commented on what great leadership skills Stephanie has! We thought the MVP really had her you-know-what together too. The house mom was very nice and the girls' moms who were there were just so sweet & helpful. I was happy to have made the trek to help!

Last edited by GPhiBLtColonel; 08-14-2009 at 01:29 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Did I read correctly somewhere else that quota at 'Bama is around 100? Are pledge classes really that big?
Old 08-14-2009, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

(Putting on swami turban) I predict quota will probably be around 70 to 75...I think last year it was 80 or 82...you can see why UA brought in Alpha Phi last year and is scheduled to bring in another sorority.

Ole Miss hit a quota of around 92 a year or two ago.

Sheesh. Too big for me. I don't know how they have chapter meetings and not violate fire codes.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

I still shake my head at quota numbers like that. Ceiling at my alma mater was half that when I went there, and although it's been increased since then, it still doesn't equal the swami's predicted quotas. (Lovely turban, btw... silk?)

Of course I realize there are vast differences in the Greek system at Houston and Bama, but still... just looking at the numbers makes me go
Old 08-14-2009, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CougarGrad View Post
I still shake my head at quota numbers like that. Ceiling at my alma mater was half that when I went there, and although it's been increased since then, it still doesn't equal the swami's predicted quotas. (Lovely turban, btw... silk?)

Of course I realize there are vast differences in the Greek system at Houston and Bama, but still... just looking at the numbers makes me go
I know! I had 46 in my pledge class, and thought that was huge. I had such a hard time getting to know everyone and remembering everyone's names!
Old 08-14-2009, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
I hadn't really thought about it before, but yeah, I saw one GPA that really surprised me and she was going to Alabama.

I should have wondered how she was going to "The Capstone" with lower than a 3.0 out of high school and kind of average SATs.
I don't write as many recs as I used to, but when I was writing them hardcore, I always noticed that the GPAs for women going to Alabama and Auburn were a little lower than those headed to UF and UGa, in part because the Florida and Georgia schools are so much more competitive now because of Bright Futures and the HOPE scholarships. I'd imagine that if Alabama had a similar program, then the GPAs would be a little higher too.

As far as US News goes, I always thought Alabama was ranked higher than 83rd. UF is in the low 50s--definitely not the highest-ranked state school, but I believe it's the highest-ranked in the SEC.