GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,420
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, abryanswftz6979
» Online Users: 2,769
0 members and 2,769 guests
No Members online

Old 01-25-2010, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

can a fraternity or sorority cut a pledge???

so i just accepted a bid to a fraternity, but our pledge class is really big compared to what its been in the past. so there were rumors going around that the brothers were going to cut about 10 pledges from the pledge class, so im a little concerned. are they allowed to do this or is this just a rumor? has anyone heard of having too big of a pledge class? i thought they would appreciate having more dues money but idk. sorry if this question isnt in the right forum.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-25-2010, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, members can cut pledges if they think it's necessary.

And if they were concerned about the size of the pledge class, I'd think they would be more careful who they gave bids out to.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iasw View Post
so i just accepted a bid to a fraternity, but our pledge class is really big compared to what its been in the past. so there were rumors going around that the brothers were going to cut about 10 pledges from the pledge class, so im a little concerned. are they allowed to do this or is this just a rumor? has anyone heard of having too big of a pledge class? i thought they would appreciate having more dues money but idk. sorry if this question isnt in the right forum.
Not sure about guys, but every sorority has different policies regarding this. However, I am fairly certain that if we are not going to initate a NM, there has to be a concrete reason (grades, attendance, etc) and it has to be approved by an advisor. So, "the class is too big" is not a reason.

It seems silly to take x number of guys and then cut them arbitrarily because of the class size. Isn't it easier to just take the number you want in the beginning?

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 01-25-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Not sure about guys, but every sorority has different policies regarding this. However, I am fairly certain that if we are not going to initate a NM, there has to be a concrete reason (grades, attendance, etc) and it has to be approved by an advisor. So, "the class is too big" is not a reason.

It seems silly to take x number of guys and then cut them arbitrarily because of the class size. Isn't it easier to just take the number you want in the beginning?
fixed that for ya.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
fixed that for ya.
I know, wtf is up with that? She's slippin!
Old 01-25-2010, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iasw View Post

I think they're just screwing with your mind.

I'm going to try this font color thing out for a while and see how long it takes for me to get annoyed by it.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
I think they're just screwing with your mind.

I'm going to try this font color thing out for a while and see how long it takes for me to get annoyed by it.
Sorry guys, I don't post from my phone that often. When I do, I forget the color!

And Sen, don't try to swagger-jack me. I originated the colored font, son.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Sorry guys, I don't post from my phone that often. When I do, I forget the color!

And Sen, don't try to swagger-jack me. I originated the colored font, son.
That implies you have any swagger to jack.

POW!
Old 01-25-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:

POW!
Don't make me cut you.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
[COLOR="Magenta"]Not sure about guys, but every sorority has different policies regarding this. However, I am fairly certain that if we are not going to initate a NM, there has to be a concrete reason (grades, attendance, etc) and it has to be approved by an advisor. So, "the class is too big" is not a reason.
It isn't a reason for girls (necessarily) but certainly can for guys.

We've chopped several guys because we bid too many. However, there were extra activities involved. We knew we had to cut down, but we also clearly looked at grades, attitudes, etc.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 01-25-2010, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I dated someone for 4+ years and his fraternity did this every semester. I have seen more than I probably should have over that time. (This was long, long ago).

So let me tell you the short answer: Yes.

My suggestion (from an outsider seeing a lot) is to keep yourself in check and let your personality and demeanor remind them why they chose you in the first place. You may not have much control over the situation, but don't give them a reason to re-evaluate you.

And pssst....confidence goes a long way, so I suggest trying to work this sort of thing out yourself versus putting it on a message board. For the past 150 years, men (and women) have been getting through pledging without the internet.

Good luck.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

POW!