GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,331
0 members and 1,331 guests
No Members online

Old 03-17-2005, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to phillyinterest6
Unhappy My Litte Greek Heart Is Broken!!!

HI ALL,
ONCE AGAIN IT'S ME THE FOREVER ASPIRANT. ONCE AGAIN I'VE COME TO A DEAD END. AS SOME OF YOU MAY KNOW AFTER TWO LONG HARD YEARS OF TRYING TO BRING..WHILE U ALL KNOW BY NOW ALPHA PHI ALPHA TO MY CAMPUS THEY CHANGED POLICIES OR WHATEVER. IM SO DISCOURAGED FOR THE LAST THREE YEARS OF MY LIFE MY GOAL HAS BEEN TO BECOME AN ALPHA, AND BE THE BEST ALPHA IN MY COMMUNITY I CAN BE. I'VE BEEN THA BEST MAN IN MY COMMUNITY NOW I WANT THE HONOR OF BEING AN ALPHA. WHAT SHOULD I DO SHOULD I TRANSFER TO MAKE MY DREAM COME TRUE, OR SHOULD I JUST FORGET ABOUT IT ALTOGETHER.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

There are some many important things in life. For me, Alpha is certainly important. However, I would not consider a transfer of school.

I suggest that you get your degree and then consider a graduate chapter. Good things come to those that wait - - -
Old 03-18-2005, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Professor
There are some many important things in life. For me, Alpha is certainly important. However, I would not consider a transfer of school.

I suggest that you get your degree and then consider a graduate chapter. Good things come to those that wait - - -
I totally understand what you are saying, but from what i've heard and seen, waiting to graduate school basically sucks for some people. I personally believe that by doing this undergrad it will give me the chance to do a lot more for Alpha, and my school. When i get to graduate school more than likely i'll be working, going to school, and trying to figure out what im going to do with my life. I feel that i wont be able to be as dedicated and make as much progress as i could if i were an undergrad member. Im not saying i already plan to be inactive, but in grad school i would like to already have a reputation for myself and my chapter while assisting other aspirants.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyinterest6
I totally understand what you are saying, but from what i've heard and seen, waiting to graduate school basically sucks for some people. I personally believe that by doing this undergrad it will give me the chance to do a lot more for Alpha, and my school. When i get to graduate school more than likely i'll be working, going to school, and trying to figure out what im going to do with my life. I feel that i wont be able to be as dedicated and make as much progress as i could if i were an undergrad member. Im not saying i already plan to be inactive, but in grad school i would like to already have a reputation for myself and my chapter while assisting other aspirants.
Alpha is for life. Do you think your impact lessens once you're in the Alumni chapters? If you're in the Philly area, are you implying that the Brothers from Rho, ODL, and ZOL aren't making an impact?

The work of Alpha is always there. If you think they can do more on the Alumni level, then you put forth the effort to make it happen. Keep your eyes focused on the Light. Don't get caught up in the distractions.

Last edited by IceColdAce06; 03-18-2005 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

If I may chime in, who says that you STILL can't have a significant impact on your school once you've graduated and become a member on the graduate level?
You could always serve as a Graduate Advisor and work closely with the undergraduate chapter in your area. Not to mention that if your goal is to establish a chapter on your campus, you would have better means to do so if you are a member of the local graduate chapter. (at least that is how it works with us)

Either way, membership on the undergraduate level is not the end-all of any NPHC org. In fact, it is only the beginning. Like my Pham said, Alpha is a LIFE-LONG commitment. If you are worried now about being able to balance "working, going to school, and trying to figure out what im going to do with my life" with Alpha NOW, then maybe you should re-think your decision to pursue membership.

Trust me, if membership in APHIA is as important to you as it seems, you will be happy to be extended an invitation by whatever means necessary (undergrad or grad).
Old 03-18-2005, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SKEEphistAKAte
If I may chime in, who says that you STILL can't have a significant impact on your school once you've graduated and become a member on the graduate level?
You could always serve as a Graduate Advisor and work closely with the undergraduate chapter in your area. Not to mention that if your goal is to establish a chapter on your campus, you would have better means to do so if you are a member of the local graduate chapter. (at least that is how it works with us)

Either way, membership on the undergraduate level is not the end-all of any NPHC org. In fact, it is only the beginning. Like my Pham said, Alpha is a LIFE-LONG commitment. If you are worried now about being able to balance "working, going to school, and trying to figure out what im going to do with my life" with Alpha NOW, then maybe you should re-think your decision to pursue membership.

Trust me, if membership in APHIA is as important to you as it seems, you will be happy to be extended an invitation by whatever means necessary (undergrad or grad).
Thank you Soror. Very well said.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to laidbackfella Send a message via AIM to laidbackfella Send a message via Yahoo to laidbackfella
Men of Alpha Phi Alpha if this is an unwarranted intrusion I will edit the content of this message.

I have several comments and questions based on the post made by philly.

This is NOT intended to start drama nor or you expected to answer just wanted to give you some of MY thoughts on what you shared.

philly it seems you want to do it for wrong reasons.

Quote:
I totally understand what you are saying, but from what i've heard and seen, waiting to graduate school basically sucks for some people.
Many people have skewed vision of what fraternal life is all about.

Parties, panties and 'pull' should be well established BEFORE joining any GLO.

Trying to use the organization to bolster stats generally means that a person won't work hard for any organization.

Quote:
I personally believe that by doing this undergrad it will give me the chance to do a lot more for Alpha, and my school.
I'm not an Alpha.

But I'm just curious to know how you'll feel you will do more?

You should be doing things for your school now.

Quote:
When i get to graduate school more than likely i'll be working, going to school, and trying to figure out what im going to do with my life.
Then that would be a good way to help you grow.

It seems as if you already have a mental barrier and an unhealthy perception about Graduate members

If you were to fellowship with Black Men making positive moves in their community you'd be getting just what you need, right when you need it.

But I see that you are using some tools to build monuments before you even have a chance to experience life as a Graduate student or aspirant.

Quote:
I feel that i wont be able to be as dedicated and make as much progress as i could if i were an undergrad member.
Then don't do it.

BGLOs don't need another member that isn't FULLY dedicated to furthering the cause of any of our organizations.

The NAACP, Urban League and various other organizations are available.

Seek those out if you feel that you have a shadow of a doubt when it comes to putting in true work.

With those you can come and go.

With a Fraternity you SHOULD not.

Quote:
Im not saying i already plan to be inactive, but in grad school i would like to already have a reputation for myself and my chapter while assisting other aspirants.
Are you seeking Alpha for Alpha?

Or

Are you seeking Alpha so that you can be considered Greek and enjoy the social benefits thereof?
Old 03-19-2005, 01:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks LBF. All questions aspirants should ask themselves before joining ANY GLO.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Kudos for Laidback's Keen Observation.

Hotep Brothers.

Bro. Laidback presented excellent insight in responding to the individual who stated that he was endowed with a "litte Greek Heart having been broken." Alphamen are not with small hearts, and I suggest one to need not seek Alphadom unless they have a large heart. Small hearts = Small DEEDS! Resume building seekers & tee-shirt wearers NEED NOT APPLY!
Old 03-19-2005, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Kudos for Laidback's Keen Observation.

Quote:
Originally posted by PHAShriner/1906
Hotep Brothers.

Bro. Laidback presented excellent insight in responding to the individual who stated that he was endowed with a "litte Greek Heart having been broken." Alphamen are not with small hearts, and I suggest one to need not seek Alphadom unless they have a large heart. Small hearts = Small DEEDS! Resume building seekers & tee-shirt wearers NEED NOT APPLY!
'06
Old 03-19-2005, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

andrew

Quote:
Originally posted by laidbackfella
Men of Alpha Phi Alpha if this is an unwarranted intrusion I will edit the content of this message.

I have several comments and questions based on the post made by philly.

This is NOT intended to start drama nor or you expected to answer just wanted to give you some of MY thoughts on what you shared.

philly it seems you want to do it for wrong reasons.

Many people have skewed vision of what fraternal life is all about.

Parties, panties and 'pull' should be well established BEFORE joining any GLO.

Trying to use the organization to bolster stats generally means that a person won't work hard for any organization.

I'm not an Alpha.

But I'm just curious to know how you'll feel you will do more?

You should be doing things for your school now.

Then that would be a good way to help you grow.

It seems as if you already have a mental barrier and an unhealthy perception about Graduate members

If you were to fellowship with Black Men making positive moves in their community you'd be getting just what you need, right when you need it.

But I see that you are using some tools to build monuments before you even have a chance to experience life as a Graduate student or aspirant.

Then don't do it.

BGLOs don't need another member that isn't FULLY dedicated to furthering the cause of any of our organizations.

The NAACP, Urban League and various other organizations are available.

Seek those out if you feel that you have a shadow of a doubt when it comes to putting in true work.

With those you can come and go.

With a Fraternity you SHOULD not.

Are you seeking Alpha for Alpha?

Or

Are you seeking Alpha so that you can be considered Greek and enjoy the social benefits thereof?
In response to your questions, I feel as if i am being attacked because of my aspirations. I've been accused of trying to use Alpha to "bolster stats", my status on my campus is already well established I am a member of our Black student Union, Minority Coalition, RHA, NRHH, Harlo, Campus praise ministries, and a Gospel choir supporter so in no way am i trying to "use" Alpha. My desire to be an Alpha has nothing to do with social status, or partying or making friends, my desire has everything to do with being apart of a brotherhood that's been around for almost 100 years, being apart of an organization that great men such as Martin Luther King, W.E.B Dubois have come from. I desire to be an Alpha not being of status but because of a mission, Alpha's mission statement is my mission statement for life. I dont desire to step (i cant dance), i dont desire to drink and party (im a born again christian) I desire to fratenize with other men who feel as i do, as if the black community lacks male role models, people who struggle for success while never forgetting about the problems in their community in which they overcame. My desire is pure and true. I feel like you and the other greeks on this board are so over protective of your org's that you attack true aspirants. I love Alpha as a historical organization that fought and fought to get to the point where they are to. I love the programs that they do for youth to encourage them to stay in high school and go to college. The only selfish aspect of my wanting to be an Alpha is that i feel that it;s a blessing to be part of such an organization and i want to feel that way. I know what my goals are in life and what order they are in although Alpha is not number one it's in my top 5 lifetime goals. I wont be discouraged by your disdain for my feelings.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow Phillyinterest,
Calm down. No one is attacking you, but merely asking you to consider some things. I understand what Alpha means to you. What I don't understand is why you are so reluctant about the idea of going through a Grad chapter.

Being a member of any of the D9 is a lifetime commitment. That means 40-50 years of alumnae service versus 1-3 years of collegiate service.

If you truly believe what you have written, then pursue Grad. it doesn't have to be while you are in graduate school, it can be afterwards when you have more time to fully commit for the REST OF YOUR LIFE!
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 03-19-2005, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Kudos for Laidback's Keen Observation.

Quote:
Originally posted by PHAShriner/1906
Hotep Brothers.

When i said that my "little greek heart is broken", I didnt thnik that you all would take it to the heart. The reason i called it my little greek heart was because at this stage my greek heart is broken, it is not little because of i plan to do small deeds (although it's those that count the most to many), but because when a door constanly closes for you sometimes you become a little discouraged and even anger. I have a large heart, which allows me to do more than most people (Greeks included!). I volutneer at least once a week while doing 18 credits as a full time student and working 2 part time jobs!! People should take everything so literal all the time. Personally im tired of greek( only on this board) constantly telling me i shouldn't seek being greek! What are u thinking when you tell an aspirant whose been working hard for two years to bring a chapter a Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. to a campus which is still 90% white. I enjoy dedicating my time to fight for something i love. You dont know me, nor do you know my heart and you shouldn't tell me that Alphadom is not for me.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ladygreek
Wow Phillyinterest,
Calm down. No one is attacking you, but merely asking you to consider some things. I understand what Alpha means to you. What I don't understand is why you are so reluctant about the idea of going through a Grad chapter.

Being a member of any of the D9 is a lifetime commitment. That means 40-50 years of alumnae service versus 1-3 years of collegiate service.

If you truly believe what you have written, then pursue Grad. it doesn't have to be while you are in graduate school, it can be afterwards when you have more time to fully commit for the REST OF YOUR LIFE!
I have to ask that you please excuse me from my earlier post. I was a little heated. But i do understand and appericate your advice and honestly you are totally right. Im a worker and when i have a goal (one was to start a chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha at my school) it's hard for me to realize that goal is not going to happen when i set the time for it to happen in. I do think that going grad may have to be an option for me. Once again thank you for caring enough to even give me advice.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to laidbackfella Send a message via AIM to laidbackfella Send a message via Yahoo to laidbackfella
Re: andrew

Again for everyone who happens to be reading this, I am NOT a member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.

Just a concerned member of a BGLO.

Quote:
In response to your questions, I feel as if i am being attacked because of my aspirations.
It's not your aspirations that I questioned, it's the latent message in your second response that concerns me.

Quote:
I've been accused of trying to use Alpha to "bolster stats", my status on my campus is already well established I am a member of our Black student Union, Minority Coalition, RHA, NRHH, Harlo, Campus praise ministries, and a Gospel choir supporter so in no way am i trying to "use" Alpha.
In that case you should feel proud of the legacy you've started there.

It seems as if you don't need Alpha to truly make a mark.

IF you are granted an opportunity to be considered for membership in the future those experiences will have served you well.

Quote:
My desire to be an Alpha has nothing to do with social status, or partying or making friends, my desire has everything to do with being apart of a brotherhood that's been around for almost 100 years, being apart of an organization that great men such as Martin Luther King, W.E.B Dubois have come from.
IF thats how you truly feel.

It should matter not whether you are given an opportunity Grad or Undergrad.

The brotherhood is what you are saying that you are interested in.

Quote:
I desire to be an Alpha not being of status but because of a mission, Alpha's mission statement is my mission statement for life. I dont desire to step (i cant dance), i dont desire to drink and party (im a born again christian) I desire to fratenize with other men who feel as i do, as if the black community lacks male role models, people who struggle for success while never forgetting about the problems in their community in which they overcame.
All of this is admirable.

Your second response, however, seemed to provide several conditionals as to why you feel you wouldn't make a good member if you went Grad.

Maybe I'm simply reading too much into what you wrote.

Quote:
My desire is pure and true.
Your desire may be pure.

It's the interests that concerned me.

Quote:
I feel like you and the other greeks on this board are so over protective of your org's that you attack true aspirants.
Why shouldn't we be?

We've earned the privilege to wear the letters and live our oath one to another.

If that shouldn't be protected enthusiastically, what should?

Quote:
I love Alpha as a historical organization that fought and fought to get to the point where they are to. I love the programs that they do for youth to encourage them to stay in high school and go to college.
I know that Men of Alpha appreciate seeing that.

Many times persons interested rarely search for a historical perspective.

Quote:
The only selfish aspect of my wanting to be an Alpha is that i feel that it;s a blessing to be part of such an organization and i want to feel that way. I know what my goals are in life and what order they are in although Alpha is not number one it's in my top 5 lifetime goals.
Blessings come in God's time not yours.

Preparing for that time is all that you can do at this point.

Quote:
I wont be discouraged by your disdain for my feelings.
I'd hope not.

But I'd also hope that you look back at your posts and try to UNDERSTAND where I am coming from with my comments.

You don't know me and I don't know you.

However when I speak it's to make a point and several things about your post did not sit well with me.