GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,391
1 members and 1,390 guests
LaneSig

Old 08-07-2015, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Finally . . we come to the Scary house!

Now YOU can learn WHAT it was that made them SCARY.

After years of falling numbers, they hadn't taken a single member the previous year! There were only 8 of them left on campus. Now, this was NOT due to some rule violation or social probation – no, they were wonderful sweethearts! They had what I now recognize as a “weak recruitment skills” chapter. Nice ladies who didn't have good leadership or strong interpersonal skills. And THIS is the reason NPC made such a good move with the RFM recruitment.

Then, the doors swung open to reveal two dozen drop-dead gorgeous women singing songs and we were welcomed into their beautiful, beautiful house. They had invited a stellar chapter from another school to help them with recruitment, it seemed a little disingenuous to us.

(But, what did we know? We were PNMs!)

They sang and clapped and praised their philanthropy, but it made no difference. We were silent as we left – really there was nothing to say. We all knew they were dying.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-07-2015, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Later that night I got together with my roommate to ask her what she thought.

“It's all a bunch of bunk,” she said. “I can't believe my family is forcing me to go through this!”

She was impressed only with the non-sorority Gingers. “If only they weren't so intellectual and bookish.” (She hated studying) “Maybe,” she mused, “I should just join the Scary house. I could do what I want and my family can't say I didn't join a group.”

I was mortified. Weren't you supposed to be a sister and love your GLO? Who would join just to pacify someone else?
Old 08-07-2015, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Loving this! Just what we needed as recruitments kick off!

More please!!!!!
Old 08-08-2015, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

I had made plans to join a study group the next morning in the library. While there, the talk turned to recruitment. That's when I learned the 'facts' from a sophomore gossip girl (incidentally, she had resigned her bid the previous year):

Posh would only take whatever quota would end up being. Posh was the best at recruitment, and they were at house limit already (60) – A poll of the PNM's would have revealed that at least half of them wanted this group.

Sporty was another strong recruitment group. They could take a few more than the projected quota before they reached the house limit of 60.

Baby was a medium recruitment group. Their “girly-girl” attitude was actually a hazard to them. Most college women wanted a more adult attitude by the time thery were upperclasswomen, so members lost interest in a few years. They managed to hit quota most years. (Still, Kathy and I LOVED them.)

Ginger was not as strong a recruitment group – but usually came within 4 or 5 of quota. They projected that alternative ideal of independent strong women. Some did like their attitude.

Scary was toast. We all knew it.

The skits started up that night! The skits were all based on Broadway musicals. I was so excited! I had been in the choir in HS and we had sung Broadway songs all the time. Plus, I participated in the Drama Club and we had done musicals every spring. There would be little time to talk to the members as they would hand us snacks, seat us and start the show.

I couldn't wait.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Posh: Once again, they surprised us by covering the upstairs opening to their TV room with a curtain. While we were seated in the chapter room, the curtain opened up with all of the Posh ladies crammed into the opening. They were all dressed as Victorian “Newsy-girls” and they sang songs to an awed audience. The way they cleverly used their open upstairs in the skit was amazing and one member was even raised up on a swing to the higher level, while singing!

No wonder they were considered the top recruiters!

Sporty: Their show had an 1950's theme, complete with poodle skirts and a soda shop. The “non-skit members” were dressed as waitresses and we were served milkshakes! I still could see myself in this group. I tried to tell my hostess this, but they had to get us out for the next group.

Baby: Once again, SO CUTE! They had a tropical island (Hawaiian) theme. Their costumes were adorable hula skirts and sarongs. I loved it and gushed all over my hostess! In fact, I was mentally picking out my Letter-tee!

Ginger: They had a dark-themed show (Chicago) – and I didn't like it. It wasn't bubbly and fun. They came across tawdry and a little low-life.

Scary: They also did Chicago! Their imported chapter had used it for their own skit. It was much better than Ginger's because it didn't concentrate on the dark-theme. They even had an entire line of tap dancers for the finale (All that Jazz).

At the end of the night I was confidant that I was Baby-bound.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

That night was the only round of releases. The PNMs didn't rank; after we received an envelope with cards from our invite chapters, we could only accept 2 parties. You would sign the back of the two cards you accepted and then drop them into a box.

Mentally I ranked them as:

Baby
Sporty/Posh
Ginger
Scary

Hopefully, I would have a perfect round and get to drop Ginger/Scary and THEN I would decide between Sporty/Posh.

As you can guess, it didn't turn out that way.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

On Sunday, we sat in the social 'parlor' in our dorm to open our envelopes. Here's how our cards went:

Deb: Posh, Sporty, Baby, Ginger & Scary. She regrets Baby, Ginger & Scary.
Kathy: Posh, Baby, Ginger & Scary. She regrets Ginger & Scary.
Sandy: Ginger & Scary. No regrets allowed.
Me: Ginger & Scary. No regrets allowed.

and,

Roomie: Posh. (her legacy chapter) – even Ginger & Scary released her.

AND don't forget . . . Trish.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

This is such fun!
Old 08-08-2015, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

She wasn't there. She was dropped from recruitment. (now, Trish WAS a prickly personality so it wasn't a surprise. But it was sobering.) NOBODY had wanted her. The rumor had been that Scary wouldn't release any PNMs – and Ginger would release very few. But here, in our little group, were 2 who were released from both.)

I was DEVESTATED. What? ANOTHER disappointment.

3rd choice college = Last choice GLO?

Deb (who had the perfect recruitment) tried to console me with the thought that both of my remaining choices were excellent groups with long histories and great chapters elsewhere – but then she regretted those same groups. As an adult, I know she had a great point – but, as a collegian, it hurt.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

EVEN my roomie would probably get her legacy chapter – the highest ranked chapter on campus!

Booooo-Hooooo!
Old 08-08-2015, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Sandy told me to wipe away the tears and understand that I still had choices. (because Trish didn't) AND, it is what you do with those choices that show your strengths.

(Wasn't she great??)

They handed out schedules and you went to the parties you had invites for. I had the first round at Ginger and the last one at Scary. So, I went to get dressed for the preference parties due to start soon.

While waiting for the party to start at Ginger I realized that most of the PNM's in my group had only accepted Ginger's invitation because they couldn't regret. Well, this was gonna be my best bet for a bid – so I put on my game face and decided to make them LOVE me. Yes! I would be the best Ginger they could hope for.
Old 08-08-2015, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

The door opened and the first person out was . . . . my sister, Lisa. She wrapped her arms around me and welcomed me into their home. Yes, she'd heard that I had my heart set on the Baby house. Her suite-mate was a Baby and had specifically sought Lisa out to tell her I had been released. (Of course, this is not allowed, but it does happen)

Just like she didn't try to influence me before recruitment, she didn't denigrate the Babys either.

“We're so happy you came to our home,” she purred. “You're our #1 PNM! The other Gingers can't wait to call you 'sister' like I do. Your spunky and sassy attitude is just what this chapter needs. Your musicality and dance ability will go far at All Sing, Skit Show and Recruitment. And your GPA fits in perfectly. Here, YOU can be great.”

Then she proceeded to introduce me to her 'other' sisters and they each greeted me with a hug and a whispered, “Be a Ginger”. It was wonderful.
Old 08-08-2015, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Folks might have thought I'd spend the time between the parties pouting, but I joyously went to the library to study.

At the Scary house later, the imported chapter was gone and only the 8 local members were left. Most PNM's had regretted, if they could. My hostess confirmed that their National Office was going to close their chapter unless they got 15 new members.

No way could they do that.

Their president gave a speech about becoming a member and setting the future course for the chapter, like joining a colony. It was a very sad situation. I remember crying.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I am very much enjoying your story!

And feel badly for the Scary house. What a tough situation for them.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

All the PNM's gathered that evening in a large auditorium to sign their intention cards. We had to wait for all the cards to be signed and turned in (or the PNM dropped out) for anyone to be able to leave. It was a nervous crowd.

I SIPed the Gingers – I wasn't taking even the outside chance that I would get the Scarys.

Finally, we were allowed to leave; we were tired and emotionally drained. The next day would reveal our bids! I felt very secure in my choice as I did every time I had run into a disappointment – I would just have to make lemonade out of those lemons!

On Monday afternoon, we were to meet in the parlor room of our dorm to receive our bids. We found out that those PNM's who didn't receive a bid were called earlier and were not there. But, Sandy, Roomie and I didn't get those calls – we were in. So were Kathy and Deb.

Our Rho Chi handed out our bids. Even Roomie was excited.

(Really, those Poshes must have had an exceptional preference party.)

We opened them to loud whoops!

Sandy and I held hands and shouted, "WE'RE SISTERS!!"

Kathy (Baby) and Deb (Sporty) were very happy about their bids!

Even Roomie teared up a bit.