GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 867
2 members and 865 guests
g41965, Sarak24034

Old 07-25-2014, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Inflated GPA

I know about the inflated GPA issue in high schools but I'm wondering if this happens at the college level too. I did a search on here and found this which was posted in 2009.

Have chapter GPAs increased in schools your're familiar with? Is a 3.0 still what it was 10, 20, or 40 years ago at the college level?

Edited:
I found the answer to one question: http://www.gradeinflation.com/

Last edited by ADPiEE; 07-25-2014 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

When I was in college (non selective public university), there was very little grade inflation. Bell curves were used for every test and assignment so there were the same number failing as passing and the mean was a "C" grade, period.

I can see where that works at a non selective public, but I do see how it would be a problem at an Ivy or other highly selective school. If their students are going to compete with the non selective public students, they can't really do that type of bell curve grading. Realistically, their "average" students are probably better qualified than the 80th percentile kids at the non selective public. Med school and law school are notorious for looking at the numbers, not the school, so it would really make it difficult for any of those "highly selective" kids to make it.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I think you can speak to this far more than I can AGDee. My daughters all went to a small state school and there was a true bell curve for all. Youngest graduated in 2008, it may be very different now
Old 08-23-2014, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm curious about what leads to grade inflation in high schools. Do most schools give a bonus grade point for grades earned in AP classes? So in other words, an A would be worth 5 grade points on a 4 point scale?

Does that extend to honors-level classes, too, even if they aren't AP level classes?
Old 08-23-2014, 03:30 PM

AP bonus does contribute but I think the bigger driver is getting a higher percentage of college accepted graduates. Higher GPAs makes them more competitive.

Don't even get me started on the 10 point grade scale versus 6 point grade scale or 4.0 GPA scale versus 5.0 GPA scale.