GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,557
0 members and 1,557 guests
No Members online

Old 04-19-2001, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Is it true that Theta is very exclusive?

Hi, I don't know why...but I've always wanted to become a Kappa Alpha Theta! So I was wondering...is it true that it is very difficult to become one? I know some Thetas, and they are all wondeful women. I would like to become one, too...would like some input from Greeks and Thetas themselves! Thanks!

[This message has been edited by bubbles17 (edited April 19, 2001).]
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-20-2001, 03:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Hey Mandy!

That's excellent that you want to become a Theta--you never mentioned it to me! That's simply fabulous!!! . Yeah--I always wanted to become a Theta also, before college. Anyway, I'm not quite sure on how to answer your question...but yes, we are considerd one of the more "exclusive" if that's the right word...but then again, almost every sorority has their own more-exclusive chapters! So it kinda depends on your school...but nationally, yes, Theta is considered more "exclusive." I don't know if it is "difficult" to get into Theta--it depends on which chapter you are pursuing, and the girls which are rushing that year...if you are interested in Theta (ALWAYS a big plus if you know stuff about the sorority already!), seem to have the Theta morals/ideals, and seem like you would fit in with the sisters...I think that you would be highly considered! I don't know if "difficult" is the right word--I'm thinking more in terms of "we don't just pledge anyone"...does that make sense? Like we would not pledge someone who seemed like they would not fit in with us, someone who would not pursue the higher Theta ideals, someone who was not interested enough to learn about us prior to Rush activities.

I will e-mail you for more info about my beloved sorority, KAPPA ALPHA THETA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Caitlin
Old 04-20-2001, 08:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Theta-cutie:
but yes, we are considerd one of the more "exclusive" if that's the right word. So it kinda depends on your school...but nationally, yes, Theta is considered more "exclusive."
I thought that every chapter was different, so you couldnt really say that nationally Theta is exclusive. Do you have proof of this or was it said somewhere? I am not trying to bash you or anything- I am really just asking you that. From what i understand, ABC could be the top sorority at Alphabet College and then at Number college it was just average. So- in reality it depends on your school and shouldnt be named exclusive or not due to that fact??? Maybe i am wrong and Theta is indeed exclusive. We had Theta at Baylor and it was alright- like right in the middle, a little towards the top. I never knew any but i am sure they were great girls- we dont have KAT here at UH though.
Old 04-20-2001, 08:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Theta-cutie:
...but nationally, yes, Theta is considered more "exclusive."

I don't know if "difficult" is the right word--I'm thinking more in terms of "we don't just pledge anyone"...does that make sense? Like we would not pledge someone who seemed like they would not fit in with us, someone who would not pursue the higher Theta ideals, someone who was not interested enough to learn about us prior to Rush activities.
Hello - I hate to "rain" on any parades, but (again going back to the SEARCH function) we have discussed this type of question before. And I must say that I am just really wondering what you mean by saying Theta is "more" exclusive -- I must have missed that one somewhere. And I am no expert, but having been in a sorority for 7 years (including serving as officers both within the collegiate and alum chapters), I would venture to say that EVERY organization (not just a sorority) does not just "pledge someone who seemed like they would not fit in...." We all choose our members (and they choose us) for what we have to offer each other. It has to be a mutually benefitting situation, otherwise you don't have a sister/brotherhood, you have a bunch of people who sit around wondering why they joined in the first place. Granted this is going to happen on some occassions in every organization (otherwise we'd all be filled at 4 million +++ members because other than death, no one that ever became a sister/brother would leave the fold).

In the sense that every organization out there fits the needs of various people seeking membership, we are all exclusive.

I am not trying to put Theta or you down, but rather to say we each have something special in our own organization - that is not the definition of exclusive!
http://m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary

Main Entry: 1ex·clu·sive
Pronunciation: iks-'klü-siv, -ziv
Function: adjective
Date: 1515

1 a : excluding or having power to exclude b : limiting or limited to possession, control, or use by a single individual or group

2 a : excluding others from participation b : snobbishly aloof

3 a : accepting or soliciting only a socially restricted patronage (as of the upper class) b : STYLISH, FASHIONABLE c : restricted in distribution, use, or appeal
because of expense

Old 04-20-2001, 09:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Question

COMPLETELY agree with AXO Alum. I dont think there is a sorority that is "more" exclusive than another. Every sorority in their own way is unique and exclusive- so i will ask you this question again....what makes you say Theta is more exclusive nationally?
Old 04-20-2001, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Hi Bubbles! I'm an active Theta. I'm not sure what Theta-cutie meant when she said that we are nationally exclusive. I know that we are a very old sorority ("the first greek letter fraternity known among women"), and we have a lot of chapters. We are strong in lots of different parts of the country, but other sororities could probably also claim that.

The "difficulty" of getting a Theta bid probably depends on what school you rush at, and on the year. Some years are more competitive than others because there are a lot of desirable girls rushing.

Legacy can make a difference, but only if we like you anyway. However, any legacy that comes to our pref night party is going to be on the top of the bid list. At that point, if they want in, we have to make room for them. Because of this, if there are a lot of legacies that want us, there may not be a lot of room left in the pledge class for non-legs. The number of legacies that rush varies widely every year. Last year we pledged maybe a couple and this year close to half (of the pledge class) are legacies. Almost all of our legacies preffed us. My chapter does not have to bid a legacy if we believe she doesn't fit in.

Get recs from Thetas if at all possible. It's fantastic if you can get a rec who went to the same college as you will be. Didn't you say you know lots of them? Send in several if you can get them, and give your recomenders a headshot of you to send along. This will make you stand out, and the girls will take extra care to meet you during rush.

If you're going through deferred rush (in January), the best advice I can give you is to get involved in 1 or 2 campus activities, and casually get to know some Thetas if your rush rules allow open contact. If the Thetas have mixers that open to the public at a certain time, show up looking cute and not overly drunk. If they have big service events open to the public, like a 5k run, do participate. You can bet they're paying attention to which girls came to these sorts of things.

[This message has been edited by twinstars (edited April 20, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by twinstars (edited April 20, 2001).]
Old 04-20-2001, 10:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
No offense to Theta Cutie, but I'm with AXO Alum on this one.
Old 04-20-2001, 11:41 AM

I have to agree with the ladies who said that it is difficult to label one national sorority "exclusive" because the individual chapters are all different from one another. At my college, I recall three sororities that were very, very strong and well-respected nationally. However, the chapters on my campus each had anywhere between 8 and 12 members whereas the larger houses had 60-70. So, you never really know until you actually get to the school you will be attending what the reputation of any given sorority will be.

That said, I encourage you to go into rush with an open mind. Good luck!

~~ Tracy

------------------
Proud to be Delta-Z :-)
Old 04-20-2001, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bucutie02:
I thought that every chapter was different, so you couldnt really say that nationally Theta is exclusive. Do you have proof of this or was it said somewhere? I am not trying to bash you or anything- I am really just asking you that. From what i understand, ABC could be the top sorority at Alphabet College and then at Number college it was just average. So- in reality it depends on your school and shouldnt be named exclusive or not due to that fact??? Maybe i am wrong and Theta is indeed exclusive. We had Theta at Baylor and it was alright- like right in the middle, a little towards the top. I never knew any but i am sure they were great girls- we dont have KAT here at UH though.
Hee! I go to Baylor.
Old 04-20-2001, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by twinstars:
We are strong in lots of different parts of the country, but other sororities could probably also claim that.

Legacy can make a difference, but only if we like you anyway.

If the Thetas have mixers that open to the public at a certain time, show up looking cute and not overly drunk.
[AXO Alum shaking her head...]

Okay - what am I missing here? I am sorry, but these comments aren't making this thread sound any better. Maybe the Theta's who are responding could email Bubbles privately -- that way the comments aren't open to being misread or misleading.

Still think the "search" option is a good thing to try.
Old 04-20-2001, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

on my campus, it would seem that Theta is very exclusive, however, if you know the girls in the house, reality is that they are very inclusive. i think some people might see Theta (or any other sorority) as exclusive becuase they are strong, confident, women who hold their heads up high and are very proud to be who they are. i've come to realize that some people are afraid of and falsely label people who are outgoing and admirable. I love my theta friends
Old 04-20-2001, 03:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
[QUOTE]Originally posted by twinstars:
If the Thetas have mixers that open to the public at a certain time, show up looking cute and not overly drunk.

I'm so glad my rush experience was not this shallow.

Old 04-20-2001, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

[quote]Originally posted by shadokat:
Quote:

So its not just me, huh?
Old 04-20-2001, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

[quote]Originally posted by shadokat:
Quote:

Hey everybody! Calm down a little. I think what twinstars was trying to say was basically this: if you're interested in pledging a sorority, you should put yourself in a position to be noticed by the sisters (i.e., attending philanthropic and social events hosted by the chapter). Also, while you're there, make sure that you carry yourself like a lady (i.e., don't show up completely trashed and act obnoxious). Just try to make a good impression - that's all. Am I right, twinstars?
Old 04-20-2001, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

I think what Theta cutie meant was that Theta was one of the more "well known" sororities nationally, as opposed to being exclusive. Most people in the greek system know a lot about the other GLO's, but people outside of it are more likely to have heard of KKG, Theta, Tri-Delt, or DZ as opposed to say, Alpha Sigma Alpha or Sigma Delta Tau. And it has nothing to do with the quality, because all 26 orgs in the NPC are equally awesome. It's just that some are larger and have more chapters, and therefore are more well known. And maybe that's why outsiders PERCEIVE these groups as being more "exclusive." Anyone in the Greek system should know that all chapters are different, and that nationally all groups are great, and no one org is more exclusive than another when it all gets averaged out. Anyway, Bubbles, best of luck in your rush -- I hope you get Theta if that's your favorite but I'm sure you'll be just as happy no matter where you go.