GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,069
1 members and 1,068 guests
No Members online

Old 05-13-2010, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Rushing as a sophmore?

Any advice? How hard is it as opposed to rushing as a freshman to get a bid?
Didn't have time freshman year and I wanted to get a good start with GPA (kinda bad at time management when I'm in a new environment)
About me-Floridian (Going to UF)
Not a guido
Not Sfla (Central Fla)
Upper middle class
Enjoys parties (not the douchebag or awkward guy at the party)
Not socially awkward-can engage in conversations

-broumad
Old 05-14-2010, 04:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SAE290004
Rushing as a Sophmore isnt a bad thing at all. I actually rushed my fraternity when I was a Junior, 21 years old, in the spring of 2009. I did not rush earlier due to my anti fraternity attitude. Come to find out, rushing is probably one of the most important and smartest things I have done in college and life.

Rushing at an older age has its advantages. I realized I was older than my pledge class and was more mature and could handle the time management better than most of my pledge class.

Time management is a HUGE part of pledging. I, being older, was able to handle the time well. I was elected my pledge class's "Pledge Class President" due to my age partly. In what ever fraternity you choose there should be brothers around that may be able to kind of help you learn how to manage your time. They will help you some but it will be mainly resting upon your shoulders to learn to manage your OWN time. After all a lot of being in a Fraternity is time management.

The main thing I can help you with is OBVIOUSLY go somewhere you feel most comfortable. People join people not organizations. Going Greek in general is at this point the most important thing.

Anything else? Just feel free to ask.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE290004 View Post
Rushing as a Sophmore isnt a bad thing at all. I actually rushed my fraternity when I was a Junior, 21 years old, in the spring of 2009. I did not rush earlier due to my anti fraternity attitude. Come to find out, rushing is probably one of the most important and smartest things I have done in college and life.

Rushing at an older age has its advantages. I realized I was older than my pledge class and was more mature and could handle the time management better than most of my pledge class.

Time management is a HUGE part of pledging. I, being older, was able to handle the time well. I was elected my pledge class's "Pledge Class President" due to my age partly. In what ever fraternity you choose there should be brothers around that may be able to kind of help you learn how to manage your time. They will help you some but it will be mainly resting upon your shoulders to learn to manage your OWN time. After all a lot of being in a Fraternity is time management.

The main thing I can help you with is OBVIOUSLY go somewhere you feel most comfortable. People join people not organizations. Going Greek in general is at this point the most important thing.

Anything else? Just feel free to ask.
Did you go to UF? If not, then stay quite.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe I missed something, and perhaps SAE290004 might have included the standard "rush at each campus may vary" tag, but I don't see where SAE290004 gave bad advice.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
Maybe I missed something, and perhaps SAE290004 might have included the standard "rush at each campus may vary" tag, but I don't see where SAE290004 gave bad advice.
The first thing out of his mouth..."Rushing as a sophomore is not a bad thing at all." This is not the case at some schools, even for guys.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
The first thing out of his mouth..."Rushing as a sophomore is not a bad thing at all." This is not the case at some schools, even for guys.
Which is why I think he should have added "rush at each campus may vary".

But even then, rushing a fraternity as a sophomore is not inherently a bad thing - even at SEC schools. Some chapters may not take you, while others may.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
Which is why I think he should have added "rush at each campus may vary".

But even then, rushing a fraternity as a sophomore is not inherently a bad thing - even at SEC schools. Some chapters may not take you, while others may.
Yes, but his advice was very specific to his experience. Who knows what it is like at UF? It's possible that most chapters will not take a sophomore pledge. I rather he get no advice then people blowing sunshine up his ass. I pledged as a second semester junior, but I also didn't go to UF.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:46 AM
GreekChat Member

It'll put you at a slight disadvantage but I doubt any group at UF, even a top chapter, would completely disregard you just because you're not a freshman.

Don't get me wrong, if it comes down to bidding you or a freshman, some groups will bid the freshman. But it's not as bad as other schools in the SEC. Fraternity life there is more slack when it comes to these kind of things compared to other schools in the SEC.

Just be sure to keep your options open.

Last edited by JohnnyCash; 05-15-2010 at 05:49 AM.