GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,499
0 members and 2,499 guests
No Members online

Old 12-28-2007, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Biggest Rush Mistakes at any institution

Here's the list, feel free to add on or argue against these.

1.) Wearing jean shorts (SECDomination probably sees a lot of these ). You will not get a bid... jean shorts were [marginally] cool about 10 years ago, now they are trashy and redneck.
2.) Being overly cocky, nobody wants a pledge who thinks that they are too good to perform menial tasks, see #7
3.) One word answers. Be conversational, social skills are the most important thing that somebody can possess. The importance of this skill can not be stressed enough.
4.) Don't talk about how much you can drink or how drunk you were the other night unless a really good story comes along with it.
5.) Getting drunktaneous at rush events. Fraternities do not want people with no self control, it becomes a huge risk to pledge someone who can't control themselves.
6.) Do not hook up with girls at rush events unless they are of the highest quality and you have checked to make sure that they are not an active's girlfriend or even an active's potential girlfriend. Nothing is worse than pissing off a brother or receiving the nickname "free willy" in the first week of pledgeship.
7.) Trying too hard. You do not need to convince the brothers that you are the coolest person ever and they should initiate you on the spot. Be yourself and if you are a fit in that particular organization then you will receive a bid. Have faith in the fraternity, they have been doing this way longer than you.
8.) Name dropping. Goes in line with trying too hard. If you are well connected and friends with a lot of the actives then the brothers will tell the people on bid team this, you don't need to mention it.
9.) Spending less than 45 minutes at a given house. If you want a bid then you have to show the brothers that you're serious. Spend time at the house getting to know people, even if you don't pledge there you can make connections that last for a while. (I get free pizza because of somebody I met in another fraternity during rush, we really hit it off). Meet every brother that you can, the more, the better.
10.) Dress nicely. Avoid hoodies, sandals with socks, etc. Business casual is the best way to go, collared shirt and pants or khaki shorts in warm weather. In the south avoid muscle tees and cargo shorts.
11.) Do not expect a bid just because you're a legacy or know a few guys in the house. Act as if you really want a big and are unsure if you're getting one.

Tips to impress, now that you know what to avoid doing, here are a few pointers that may get you bonus points.
1.) Bring attractive girls with you. This is the absolute best way to get attention and respect from the actives. Find the best looking girls that you know from high school or whatever and bring them with you when you rush.
2.) Go to the post-rush events (if they have them) AND show that you are socially adept. The most important quality in pledges (and arguably in life) is the ability to socialize with everyone (brothers, girls, alumni, parents, etc.)
3.) Have a lot of knowledge and the ability to carry on conversations.
4.) Use manners. If you are offered food, take it. Hold the door for women and don't swear with any women in earshot, basic things that your mother has been teaching you since you were little.
5.) Mention to whomever is talking to you what in particular you like about their fraternity (i.e. "I notice you won intramurals last year; that's great because I like to be on a winning team and I can play ____")

The few things in italics may not apply to you, the rest of these apply to everybody.

Last edited by PhiGam; 06-24-2008 at 01:44 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-28-2007, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

OMG! You're killing me. I'm laughing so hard right now my stomach is aching!

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race”

Keeping chuggin' along, PhiGam.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-28-2007, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiGam View Post
4.) Use manners. If you are offered food, take it. Hold the door for women and don't swear with any women in earshot, basic things that your mother has been teaching you since you were little.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Ha! Great idea; this is a fun list.
I'd say:
1. khakis and a polo or white button-down is appropriate anywhere on any campus for rush.
2. Under tips to impress, mention to whomever is talking to you what in particular you like about their fraternity (i.e. "I notice you won intramurals last year; that's great because I like to be on a winning team and I can play ____")
Old 12-29-2007, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Anne View Post

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race”

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
O dear God.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
6.) Do not hook up with girls at rush events unless they are of the highest quality and you have checked to make sure that they are not an active's girlfriend or even an active's potential girlfriend. Nothing is worse than pissing off a brother or receiving the nickname "free willy" in the first week of pledgeship.
I'd go beyond that with respect to women at rush. Because there are (typically) girls at rush, brothers of the fraternity you're rushing will usually observe your interactions with these girls. If you creep the girls out, that's bad. If you hit on every girl who will talk to you, (including an active's girlfriend, even?) that can come off as negative. If you blow off and are rude to the girls because you're trying really really hard to get a bid, that's bad.

I'd stick with being respectful and making friendly conversation at rush events. There's plenty of time for... other types of interaction later.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Not to say that PhiGam has everything right or that I agree with him 100%, but this is the Fraternity Recruitment forum. Men don't typically come into the Sorority Recruitment forum and criticize Panhellenic Recruitment, so I think that some measure of restraint would be in order here. Just like I'll never really understand Panhellenic Recruitment, no woman will ever fully understand IFC/NIC rush. If someone comes in here saying ridiculous things, please at least let the men have a chance to respond before you blast.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
What the hell is wrong with that?
Old 12-29-2007, 04:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehouse View Post
Ha! Great idea; this is a fun list.
I'd say:
1. khakis and a polo or white button-down is appropriate anywhere on any campus for rush.
2. Under tips to impress, mention to whomever is talking to you what in particular you like about their fraternity (i.e. "I notice you won intramurals last year; that's great because I like to be on a winning team and I can play ____")
The dress code thing didn't go over well in the last thread...
Old 12-29-2007, 04:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Calvin Coolidge
Old 12-29-2007, 04:17 AM

That's actually surprisingly helpful to a someone who plans on rush at spring semester... except the jean shorts thing... kinda figured that one
Old 12-29-2007, 07:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtdxeric View Post
Not to say that PhiGam has everything right or that I agree with him 100%, but this is the Fraternity Recruitment forum. Men don't typically come into the Sorority Recruitment forum and criticize Panhellenic Recruitment, so I think that some measure of restraint would be in order here.
I'm not critisizing Fraternity Recruitment. I'm laughing at the absurdity of PhiGam.

Quote:
Calvin Coolidge
No! Really? I had absolutely NO idea.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
What the hell is wrong with that?
It's a north/south thing. I was stunned when I first moved down here and men ALWAYS opened the door for me, or even stopped midway though and backed out so I could go through first, looked at me funny when I waited for them to get off the elevator because they were closer to the door, and apologized when they swore in front of me (it's funny to me, because my potty mouth is just as bad a s theirs).
Old 12-29-2007, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm not critisizing Fraternity Recruitment. I'm laughing at the absurdity of PhiGam.
I think you think that he's trolling, and I'm not so sure. This list is actually pretty reasonable... a bit Southern on the cursing and doors, but not that absurd, and doesn't seem like it was calculated to annoy you personally. What I'm trying to say is that I think this could be a good/informative thread, so just ease up a bit, please?
Old 12-29-2007, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

gentlemen, i have enjoyed reading your rush tips thread and hope that you will continue with the tips.