GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Tau > Tau Kappa Epsilon

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,743
1 members and 2,742 guests
No Members online

Old 01-12-2008, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Need some insight

Gentlemen... I'm not a TKE but I was hoping you guys could offer some insight. I'm currently a senior in high school and I have a ton of different schools that I can attend in the fall... I want to go somewhere that has an active TKE chapter for a few reasons... 1. A great family friend, a brother of yours that has passed away in 2006, used to tell me great stories about the fraternity and what it's done for him.. Never have I heard of someone so compassionate about something.. Ever... For anyone in the Hudson Valley Area, his name was Ken Plambeck and used to work with the chapter at Marist College. 2. Greek life has always been the way to go in my eyes because it just makes so much sense to me and I've wanted to be part of it since I can remember (my uncle is a TKE as well). I'm HUGE on sports and wouldn't mind going to SUNY Cortland, the only problem is that I notice their chapter is nonexistent right now... Here's the thing.. I'm a very determinded young man, I'm more than active within my community and school and I wouldn't mind trying to get the chapter reopened.. I actually feel like that would be a really great thing to do. Does this sound realistic? Does anyone have any experience doing this? Sorry if I've rambled but I really didn't know how to get my point across without adding all that... Thanks for reading.

Matt
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-13-2008, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Very reaslistic. You gotta keep in mind, chapters have re-opened on many occasions in the past by young men much like yourself, so it isn't impossible and definitely within the realm of possibility.

My suggestion to you first, however, is to decide what school you want to attend. If there isn't a TKE chapter or if it is inactive, talk to international and see what the requirements are to re-open the chapter. Assumingly, you will need an interest group and show international that you are serious. Also, it would be a good idea to talk to the former alumni of said inactive chapter, should you wish to activate it. They may be able to provide some insight on their experiences and, more importantly, why the chapter shut down in the first place and how to avoid that situation again.

You seem really enthusiastic though and that's definitely what TKE looks for! Good luck buddy, keep us in touch about all this.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: From Rockford IL but go to school at Southern Illinois University Carbondale
Send a message via AIM to jmagnus
I was going to suggest the same thing. Contacting HQ would be your best option. www.tke.org in case you don't know the website.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to CrusaderTKE
TKE is a great thing to be a part of it has helped many young men like myself get through school. Ive been to three colleges in 4 years pretty terrible but shit happens. I joined at U toledo the gamma-nu chapter which isnt around anymore it closed the semeter after I joined. My buddie goes to SUNY-Cortland I went up there to visit him one semester a year ago. I had my letters on which i never take off and saw a guy wearing TKE letters I asked him if he was a TEKE from Cornell or Syracuse U because the two universities are only 20-30 min away. He told me he was a TEKE from Cortland which did not make sense since they have been closed since 2000 or 2001. If you go to Cortland dont join TKE there you will not be a member if you do their not a recognized chapter and from what I have heard the TKE HQ is going after them. If you do go to a school with a TKE chapter in good standing I recomend joing TKE good luck