GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Phi Epsilon

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,450
0 members and 1,450 guests
No Members online

Old 08-08-2015, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Sig Ep votes to allow transgender men as members

http://theodysseyonline.com/fsu/sige...rothers/139216

Quote:
The Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity announced on Sunday that at its National Board of Directors meeting in December that it had opened its membership to transgender males.
Interesting move. Way to be leaders, Sig Ep!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-08-2015, 11:40 AM

I hate to be a cynic, but I think that the chapters that were comfortable with transgender members were already bidding them regardless of what their HQ said. Maybe chapters that aren't comfortable with it will be eventually, but I think that's going to take meeting and getting to know someone in real life - not just a switch flipped with the passing of a policy.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
It's still meaningful that an organization is willing to say "f**k all the concern trolls who keep telling us we could lose single-sex status, equality is important to us."
Old 08-08-2015, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

YAY!!!! Way to go, SigEp!
Old 08-11-2015, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
This always confuses me. A transgender male is a female-to-male transition, correct?

SAI's legal counsel gave a workshop on this very issue at Convention just a couple weeks ago. I learned some interesting tidbits concerning transgender members and single sex fraternities/sororities. In 2014, Title IX was amended to include a statement that colleges and universities are to treat transgendered individuals as the gender with which they identify. Therefore, a transgender male at Hometown University would be classified as a male for all University related purposes. Additionally, as that applies to single sexed greek organizations - because social greeks are exempt from Title IX we have the ability to determine membership criteria. And, most importantly, as long as the organization in question appears, acts, and makes every reasonable effort to remain single sexed, it is single sexed as far as the law is concerned - regardless of if a sex transition has been completed.

(I hope I explained that correctly. We weren't allowed to video/audio record the presentation, so I'm sharing from memory. If there's anyone more versed on this topic, feel free to chime in!)

Kudos to Sig Ep for taking the lead on this issue! I have a feeling it will be coming down the pipeline for many organizations.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSAI View Post
This always confuses me. A transgender male is a female-to-male transition, correct?
It's someone who was born with a female body and currently identifies as male, regardless of whether they've taken any steps to physically transition.