GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,779
1 members and 1,778 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 11-08-2006, 08:46 PM

If it is a formal recruitment process or a formal atmosphere then I would see where leaving early or comign late would be a potential problem. If it is an informal atmosphere then I dont see why it's a big deal??? Or I guess I'm asking why is it a big deal?
Old 11-08-2006, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaPrincess24 View Post
If it is a formal recruitment process or a formal atmosphere then I would see where leaving early or comign late would be a potential problem. If it is an informal atmosphere then I dont see why it's a big deal??? Or I guess I'm asking why is it a big deal?
I don't understand it either, but it's how they are. I ave up a long time ago trying to understand the locals on the campus. I really wish they'd force all the locals to go national, but I don't think that will ever happen, sadly.

*I have no problems with locals at all....I have a problem with chapters (or groups, in the case of a local) that haze and don't respect anyone besides themselves.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 11-08-2006, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
*who I am very impressed with the fact that as a brand spanking new GC member, already mastered the Greek letters in her screen name.
I'm good at this forum stuff, and I had to learn the letters for Facebook. I wanted to be cool like everyone else and put ΑΓΔ in my profile instead of AGD.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I also had a similar experience when I was back at school. I was a transfer and wasn't aware of what were NPC sororities. I was at a commuter school and thought that you could only rush for one sorority. So I rushed for a regional one. I was quite disappointed the way how they were talking about going to clubs, drinking and such. I just couldn't see myself fitting into their sorority, except a few really great ladies told me to stick with it. Needless to say, I didn't get a bid, which was ok.

Then my senior year I got myself busy with other societies but it wasn't until my last semester when I learned about NPC sororities through my one friend. I asked her if graduate students (which I was planning to) could rush for this one sorority, and she said yes. But unfortunately something happened with my grad assistantship that made me defer my grad studies. It was quite disappointing, but I got over it.

I guess my whole point is, I wish my school's Greek Life office could have informed us more about these options and like a guide into Greek Life. I know for commuter schools it's hard, but maybe like a table at quad day, or something along the lines would help. They should also do more outreach if they wanted a stronger greek system. In that way, it could also help reinforce the positive aspects of greek life
Old 11-08-2006, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutie_cat_4ever View Post
I also had a similar experience when I was back at school. I was a transfer and wasn't aware of what were NPC sororities. I was at a commuter school and thought that you could only rush for one sorority. So I rushed for a regional one. I was quite disappointed the way how they were talking about going to clubs, drinking and such. I just couldn't see myself fitting into their sorority, except a few really great ladies told me to stick with it. Needless to say, I didn't get a bid, which was ok.

Then my senior year I got myself busy with other societies but it wasn't until my last semester when I learned about NPC sororities through my one friend. I asked her if graduate students (which I was planning to) could rush for this one sorority, and she said yes. But unfortunately something happened with my grad assistantship that made me defer my grad studies. It was quite disappointing, but I got over it.

I guess my whole point is, I wish my school's Greek Life office could have informed us more about these options and like a guide into Greek Life. I know for commuter schools it's hard, but maybe like a table at quad day, or something along the lines would help. They should also do more outreach if they wanted a stronger greek system. In that way, it could also help reinforce the positive aspects of greek life
There is a table at the welcome back fair, and a week or so after, greek life holds a fair when every org, has their own table. It's reallly nice to see, everyone spread out with tons of letters,photos, paddles, etc.

There is a part of me that would love the chance to re-vamp Greek life at the school, just because thing are so...not to say wrong but....things need to be improved and changed.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 11-08-2006, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttonz View Post
There is a table at the welcome back fair, and a week or so after, greek life holds a fair when every org, has their own table. It's reallly nice to see, everyone spread out with tons of letters,photos, paddles, etc.

There is a part of me that would love the chance to re-vamp Greek life at the school, just because thing are so...not to say wrong but....things need to be improved and changed.
We do have something like "Meet the Greeks" but it's always when people have classes The only time I get to see were during welcome week, and for some reason our school was full of latina sororities and they were all spread out among the campus during that day along with other GLOs. We have 3 NPC sororities on out campus and I barely remember seeing them (maybe I was distracted by the caramel apples they were giving out )

I could understand the need to re-vamp Greek life at commuter schools. One thing that we're lacking of is the sprit, and it's esp hard when you don't have houses to live in to strengthen sisterhood. I know our school, rumor has it, is trying to make sorority floors. But then more than half of the ladies are commuters, which makes it even harder.

So it's all about sprit and positive impact on others. As long as you love your sorority and show it to others, you will then influnce others about how amazing you ladies could be. That's how I felt when I saw this one group. They stood out among other sororities because you can tell how enthusiastic and how much they love their sorority.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutie_cat_4ever View Post
I could understand the need to re-vamp Greek life at commuter schools. One thing that we're lacking of is the sprit, and it's esp hard when you don't have houses to live in to strengthen sisterhood. I know our school, rumor has it, is trying to make sorority floors. But then more than half of the ladies are commuters, which makes it even harder.
The school in question is a 100% commuter school., so there is a big lack of spirt and unity among the GLOs, among other things.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 11-08-2006, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttonz View Post
The school in question is a 100% commuter school., so there is a big lack of spirt and unity among the GLOs, among other things.
Mines is a commuter school too. I think from what I've seen, there is only this one NPC and a few latina sororities that are really active at school. Besides that, it just seems dead *shrugs*

Are you planning to become a greek advisor in the future for your school?
Old 11-09-2006, 04:56 PM

how come this school does not send out a greek life booklet or something to all new freshman or transfers coming to the college/university? UK did when i first started there as a freshman (though i chose not to go greek there), and EKU sent one out when I transferred there. Do not all schools with greek life do this? I think it's a good way to let newbies know about greek life and what greek options they have on their campus.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaPrincess24 View Post
how come this school does not send out a greek life booklet or something to all new freshman or transfers coming to the college/university? UK did when i first started there as a freshman (though i chose not to go greek there), and EKU sent one out when I transferred there. Do not all schools with greek life do this? I think it's a good way to let newbies know about greek life and what greek options they have on their campus.
Umm, lots of schools barely have the sororities and fraternities listed or mentioned on their webpage or student handbook, let alone send out a Greek life booklet. If they don't like having Greeks and don't want students to join, they're not going to publicize it.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I am sooo annoyed that I didn't notice this thread when was first posted. As it is a school in my area I would love to see how pledging is going for her too. If it's the group I suspect it to be they have a lot of girls drop during pledging.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEPhiSierra View Post
I am sooo annoyed that I didn't notice this thread when was first posted. As it is a school in my area I would love to see how pledging is going for her too. If it's the group I suspect it to be they have a lot of girls drop during pledging.
I sent you a PM. I'd be very shocked if I was wrong with the group that you suspect it is.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 11-09-2006, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Quote:
I don't understand it either, but it's how they are. I ave up a long time ago trying to understand the locals on the campus. I really wish they'd force all the locals to go national, but I don't think that will ever happen, sadly.

*I have no problems with locals at all....I have a problem with chapters (or groups, in the case of a local) that haze and don't respect anyone besides themselves.
< Note, not attacking Buttonz, she just happens to have the unfortunate quote >

I understand what you're saying, but I don't know if it would fix the problem to go national, wouldn't the local "traditions" (as dubious as they are ) stick around, just with some poor NPC's letters attached?. Just changing the letters and putting in some programming doesn't fix deep ingrained internal problems. I think it would have to be the full disolution of the group, meaning let it be dormant and then colonize a new (local or NPC or whatever) many years later. Perhaps greater oversight by Greek Life/Student Affairs?

I always go through the doomsday scenario of Otterbein's system going all-national. I say doomsday because I think that a LOT of women would be really, truly, seriously heartbroken to have their 70+ year old history wiped out and replaced by something else that they never pledged fidelity to, especially if it was simply mandated that we MUST be national by someone outside of our sorority. It would just hurt. I know that's not what you're getting at , but I can understand why people would fight to stay local. If it was of the general concensus of the campus sorority council and chapter members/alum, then ok, yeah, people will still be upset but eventually will suck it up, but if its administrators or just the NPC's on campus telling the locals/regionals to be national, there's gonna be some friction. The concept of "being local" is sort of isolating, and the defending of their existance is something that most local chapters (not looking for colonization) take very, very very seriously. Call it culture, I suppose.

That all being said, I'm absolutely, 100000% with everyone else saying, "RUN AWAY! RUN FAR FAR AWAY!". If they're admitting this in public, imagine what they'd do behind closed doors. Please remember that not all locals are hazers, not all nationals are angels, and vice versa of course.

So yes and no, people do have rush experiences like this. But they have rush experiences like this in almost every system, no matter what the type of sorority. It's part of the diaspora. You, fortunately, were smart enough to recognize that this org probably isn't *quite* up to snuff. Sooo, now that you know what you *don't* want, go get what you do .

Last edited by PhoenixAzul; 11-09-2006 at 10:16 PM. Reason: clarifying
Old 11-09-2006, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAzul View Post
< Note, not attacking Buttonz, she just happens to have the unfortunate quote >

I understand what you're saying, but I don't know if it would fix the problem to go national, wouldn't the local "traditions" (as dubious as they are ) stick around, just with some poor NPC's letters attached?. Just changing the letters and putting in some programming doesn't fix deep ingrained internal problems. I think it would have to be the full disolution of the group, meaning let it be dormant and then colonize a new (local or NPC or whatever) many years later. Perhaps greater oversight by Greek Life/Student Affairs?

I always go through the doomsday scenario of Otterbein's system going all-national. I say doomsday because I think that a LOT of women would be really, truly, seriously heartbroken to have their 70+ year old history wiped out and replaced by something else that they never pledged fidelity to, especially if it was simply mandated that we MUST be national by someone outside of our sorority. It would just hurt. I know that's not what you're getting at , but I can understand why people would fight to stay local. If it was of the general concensus of the campus sorority council and chapter members/alum, then ok, yeah, people will still be upset but eventually will suck it up, but if its administrators or just the NPC's on campus telling the locals/regionals to be national, there's gonna be some friction. The concept of "being local" is sort of isolating, and the defending of their existance is something that most local chapters (not looking for colonization) take very, very very seriously. Call it culture, I suppose.
O, don't get me wrong, I understand where you are coming from, and what you said might be for the best. But I also think that getting these groups to go national, with a HQ overseeing them, a lot of things will have to be changed. Also, it would be nice ot have everyone having to participate in formal rush, but hat is more of a fault of the schools then of the local/NPC debate.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 11-20-2006, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

This particular group was founded with the intention of going national. I know they were specifically rejected by one group they originally had in mind. I am not sure if they pursued other groups. At this point I don't believe the organization could affiliate with a npc because too many of their members would not be eligible i.e. gpa's, not full time student etc.

Last edited by AEPhiSierra; 11-20-2006 at 04:39 PM.