GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,808
3 members and 1,805 guests
speedsters

Old 05-08-2008, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

One of my friends is getting married next month. They are going to have a CANDY table. Can't wait to see the assortment the guests have to take home!
Old 05-08-2008, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I cannot wait to eat my cakes! 9 days 'till the big day
Old 05-08-2008, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's hoping that your big day "exceeds your expectations."

Every one of them. Best wishes for a WONDERFUL wedding day.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbino View Post
Here's hoping that your big day "exceeds your expectations."
Well said!

I can't wait to see pictures of your cakes, Miss Glitter. Enjoy every bite!
Old 05-09-2008, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOIIalum View Post
Well said!

I can't wait to see pictures of your cakes, Miss Glitter. Enjoy every bite!
Oh I totally will! I told my wedding planner that I have to eat cake on the big night! When I go to weddings that's usually what I like to eat anyway! I haven't had any type of cake in over a month, so I'm so over due!
Old 05-25-2008, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTABullwinkle
BUMP

So, it is time to find a wedding cake. Anyone have any websites (besides the knot) where one can look at pictured for design ideas? Google images brings up more than a million pictures, and I am overwhelmed!

"Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget, falls drop by drop upon our hearts. Until against our will comes the wisdom of God."
Old 05-25-2008, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

This isn't exactly for design, but it's a check-list on cakes (a good place to start). The designer is local, but does cakes for Martha Stewart
http://www.wendykromer.com/cakes-and...ions/index.php
Old 05-28-2008, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

For the uninitiated, in regards to the Cookie Table: (from Chris Fennimore, of WQED)

The Cookie Connection
"The cookie table is a local wedding tradition worth baking for. Flour, sugar and butter have been disappearing from grocery shelves at an alarming rate over the past few weeks. Like milk and toilet paper on the eve of a winter storm, vanilla extract and chocolate morsels have to be restocked regularly. Are people preparing for some sort of calamity? No, they're just stockpiling cookies for the season of weddings, graduation parties, anniversaries and other family gatherings that seem to hit a peak in June.

I never met a food tradition I didn't like, and the Pittsburgh cookie table is one that came as a welcome surprise to this transplant from Brooklyn, N.Y. The quantity and quality of the cookie assortments at these functions are a source of endless discussion and great family pride. I recently read about one event where there were 800 dozen cookies! You may have heard of even more extravagant displays.

No one seems to know where or how this tasty tradition began, but here are two recipes from my mother's repertoire to add to the table." (He followed with a recipe for pizelles and a tartlet.)

Bringing cookies to a wedding is showing your affection to the bride and groom. I've been to showers where a list was sent around to see if you could make cookies, what type, how many, etc. In the Western PA area, every Cookie Table must have pizelles, mini ladylocks, pecan tassies, thumbprints, mini cheesecakes, those (insert nationality here) Wedding Cakes, and some "kid cookies" (peanut butter, chocolate chips, etc). Ohio ones have to include Buckeyes, too. When you book your caterer, they usually tell you whether or not they will "tray the cookies" - put them on display in a pleasing manner. Truly great Cookie Tables not only have the one main table, but a plate on each table.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTABullwinkle View Post
So, it is time to find a wedding cake. Anyone have any websites (besides the knot) where one can look at pictured for design ideas? Google images brings up more than a million pictures, and I am overwhelmed!
I got a lot of good ideas for mine from the Martha Stewart wedding magazines.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WinniBug
my cake:

Mr. Winnibug's groom's cake:

(he was working at the sheriff's dept. when we got married, the prisoner number was our wedding date, 060306, and he's saying "How long am I in for?")
wherever there is fun, there's ALWAYS ALPHA SIGMA!

Old 05-29-2008, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
I think we may end up with something similar to Winni's and I'm pretty sure we'll have something UGA related in there somewhere on the groom's cake if we have one - maybe a big bulldawg? Sidenote, he actually asked if we could have the game playing on a big screen projector if our reception happens to fall during a game since we're getting married on a saturday during football season.. wow.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsunshine214 View Post
Ha! That reminds me, my big brother and his fiance picked their wedding date because they wanted to get married in the fall, but my big brother didn't want to get married when an Ohio State game was on TV! I'm not kidding, either! My brother told me, "I'd feel kind of bad if I kept walking away from the wedding/reception to watch the game."
My friends got married in the spring instead of the fall (which she originally wanted) because he's a Penn Stater who does not miss a televised game. I'm so thankful that my Michigan alum bf - although he's a big fan - does not make his whole life for several months of the year revolve around watching The Game on TV.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SthrnZeta View Post
I think we may end up with something similar to Winni's and I'm pretty sure we'll have something UGA related in there somewhere on the groom's cake if we have one - maybe a big bulldawg? Sidenote, he actually asked if we could have the game playing on a big screen projector if our reception happens to fall during a game since we're getting married on a Saturday during football season.. wow.

I have to laugh because this was a concern of mine when I was planning my wedding. I picked a weekend when Auburn would be out of town because some of my bridesmaids and friends would kill me if I made them miss a game and I completely understood it. Unfortunately, Alabama was playing Tennessee in Tuscaloosa! Ugh. It took care of itself because Auburn played early so I could listen to snatches of it but Alabama went into triple overtime and our priest was late to the wedding because he was watching the game. He was a priest in T-town before being moved to Birmingham so we understood. There are pictures in our album with him and us and he's in his birks with his nice robes on.

War Eagle
Old 05-29-2008, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
I think he would DVR the game if he had to but if we can plan around it, he'd be happier, lol. Maybe he can watch it while he gets ready if we end up getting married later in the day... he's probably getting an Uga cake so shouldn't that be enough UGA stuff?? LOL.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SthrnZeta View Post
Maybe he can watch it while he gets ready if we end up getting married later in the day...

My cousin's fiance watched an OSU game in the hotel while the groomsmen were "getting ready" (translation: having drinks). The game wasn't supposed to be over until like 30 minutes after the ceremony was supposed to start. The ceremony ended up running a half hour late because the guys were dressed, but didn't want to leave the game (since there was only 30 minutes left). Everybody in the world called up to their hotel room (her mom, his mom, me, the planner), but they didn't answer because they had decided they weren't leaving the hotel room until the game was over. They strolled into the church a half hour late and she was furious (but it's funny to them now).

Lakers Nation.