GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,545
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, adizycshulzey81
» Online Users: 2,340
0 members and 2,340 guests
No Members online

Old 08-23-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgal View Post
I was a little surprised to hear the discussion about how many pledges put a sorority first on their cards - I did not know that information was available to the sororities. I would have that it was a little like knowing where you were on the bid list. Information that leads to hurt feelings.
Look at the # of posts the poster who said that has. I wouldn't take that info as gospel. It sounds like a variation on "3000 girls started rush at SEC U and only 1000 got bids."
Old 08-23-2009, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgal View Post
I was a little surprised to hear the discussion about how many pledges put a sorority first on their cards - I did not know that information was available to the sororities. I would have that it was a little like knowing where you were on the bid list. Information that leads to hurt feelings.
I'm surprised that you're surprised! The number of women matched to their first choice or secoond choice has always been common knowledge at places where I've assisted with recruitment. The numbers for the individual groups are generally only known by them but the overall first matches are a very important statistic for PH to know. They also provide that info to NPC. It tells them how well the system is doing overall with educating the PNMs, the chapters, etc. That's usually one of my first questions when working with a chapter.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
The numbers for the individual groups are generally only known by them but the overall first matches are a very important statistic for PH to know. They also provide that info to NPC. It tells them how well the system is doing overall with educating the PNMs, the chapters, etc. That's usually one of my first questions when working with a chapter.
This is all understandable - however, it's the kind of info that the sisters should know to keep discreet and not splash all over a message board.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
This is all understandable - however, it's the kind of info that the sisters should know to keep discreet and not splash all over a message board.
I agree. I would think only the people intimately involved in recruitment would know that and not the whole chapter. Yes, it's important for each chapter to know in terms of planning for the next year, but Susie Sorority does not need to know if Ruth Rushee picked xyz first or second unless Ruth tells them. I had no clue where girls ranks houses unless they told me, and that was fine with me.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't mean to infer that the individual women know that information if anyone thought that....only that the overall statistic is available. Hope that's clearer.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry it's taken me so long to come back and post, but my daughter is now a proud member of Zeta Tau Alpha!! It was certainly not her first choice going into the week, but it was actually the sorority that she ended up preffing. I was shocked, but she said she liked the fact that it wasn't full of girls from her hometown or high school, since she wants to branch out and meet new people. She loves the laid back feel of Zeta, and that's so totally her. Some girls look down upon Zeta at LSU, but she's quite happy, and honestly, those are the girls she's trying to stay clear of anyway.

So, we're now a proud Zeta family!!!! Thanks to all of your for your guidance and support.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

lsumomx2,
That is great news! I am so glad your daughter is a happy new Zeta!

She will have a wonderful time! Let the fun begin!
Old 08-24-2009, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats to your daughter! She'll have a wonderful time.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsumomx2 View Post
Sorry it's taken me so long to come back and post, but my daughter is now a proud member of Zeta Tau Alpha!! It was certainly not her first choice going into the week, but it was actually the sorority that she ended up preffing. I was shocked, but she said she liked the fact that it wasn't full of girls from her hometown or high school, since she wants to branch out and meet new people. She loves the laid back feel of Zeta, and that's so totally her. Some girls look down upon Zeta at LSU, but she's quite happy, and honestly, those are the girls she's trying to stay clear of anyway.

So, we're now a proud Zeta family!!!! Thanks to all of your for your guidance and support.
Congrats to your daughter!
Old 08-24-2009, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsumomx2 View Post

Congratulations! I hope she enjoys her time in Zeta!
Old 08-24-2009, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Indeed - congrats to our new Phi Mu and Zeta Tau Alpha members and moms! I also hope that your daughters are enjoying their first day of classes! It's a beautiful day to be a Tiger.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

lsumomx2 when we toured the mass comm dept this spring the girl who took us thru was a Zeta and she was one of the cutest and nicest girls I have ever meet. I saw her picture on the LSU website this spring as one of the top 12 graduates. If she is an example of the Zeta girls they are great. It is unfortunate that some sororities get such an uncalled for reputation. I told my daughter that these are usually just made up by fraternity guys, and people who aren't even in greek life. My daughter dropped Zeta to keep her legacy but ended up regretting it. She really wishes she had given them a second chance. She will have a great year.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

tootiepie, my eldest daughter had several very close friends who were/are Zetas, and they are just the greatest.

I think certain sororities get bum raps not only from the fraternity boys, but by some of the snootier sororities, too. My daughter heard several girls during rush week bad mouthing this sorority or that sorority. It was clear to her that she didn't want to be involved in ANYTHING they might be interested in.

This has all been a learning experience for us. We learned that it pays to be a legacy (duh), in an SEC school, you really need recs from sisters from THAT school, and it's good to know people. We were 0 for 3 on those counts in most cases.

Anyway, I'm a firm believer in "you'll end up where you're meant to be", so we'll just see how it all pans out.

Hope both our girls have found a perfect fit.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Well even with those things it can be rocky. We had recs from women from LSU even a few who had just graduated. We had a few connections in the sororites but not many (phi mu was one of them though), and we really thought we had done our homework and we still had heavy cuts. I guess it just like they say on here you will end up where you were meant to be.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Recent article on campus paper's site giving some overall numbers. Apparently the new LSU pledge classes are slightly smaller than last year. The article quotes some people who suggest that the H1N1 flu and the economy may have been factors:

http://www.lsureveille.com/news/soro...st-1.1820287#5