GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Gamma
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,199
3 members and 2,196 guests
chi-o_cat, Cookiez17, PGD-GRAD

Old 06-27-2015, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Out of Lurker Mode for Rec Writing Advice..

Hello everyone -

I have been lurking on the GC forums for quite a while but have never been bold enough to post.

I am a Delta Gamma; initiation chapter was Gamma Upsilon (Go Shox!)

For the first time in forever I've been asked to write recommendation letters/forms, and I'm stumped in how to best relay all the positive things I know about these young women without making them sound completely boring! These three are all friends of my daughter and I have known them for years. I have no reservations about them. One will be participating in a very competitive recruitment at a large Texas school; the others (and my daughter) at a somewhat less competitive but still intimidating Oklahoma school.

I have been only very lightly involved with our local alum group mostly because of my work schedule. Somehow, it seems easier to ask all of you for any pearls of wisdom you may have. I know I'm running late with these and want to get them off ASAP but I can't seem to compose anything I'm happy with. Am I overthinking this?

Thanks very much for any advice you may be able to share.

Diane
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-27-2015, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Second this, please?

I have nieces and friends of the family who will be going to large southern schools and haven't a clue how to write a good sponsor form. (When I was in college a hundred years ago, we didn't worry; if the alumnae in the area didn't get forms for us, we simply wrote them ourselves for the women we wanted. NOT the right thing to do, but it was the 70s and we were largely of the "No, you don't understand us" mentality.)

I would give my EYETEETH for a copy of a well-written form, even if the woman's name and identifying details were redacted.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Dgdramadawg writes lots of DG recs and posts multiple recruitment stories every year sharing where her PNMs ended up...she would be a good resource for you to PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you very much; I contacted her via PM. I just want to do this right! My chapter was very much like DGTess' in the early 80s...I don['t remember many girls having recs when rush started and if they were invited to pref night we might be pulling in advisors to write on the fly. So very different for these girls!
Old 06-28-2015, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Are you writing their recommendation? Or a letter of support? Have you checked the national website of your sorority for guidance? It seems like many recs are done online. You fill out the online form and upload the PNM's resume and photos. If you're writing a letter of support, I would suggest that you include the same information requested for the online RIF, and add your own personal insights about what this PNM can bring to your house.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

Pi Phi actually has some videos we can watch online that have tips about how to write recs. Have you checked your sorority website under "Alumnae"?
Old 06-28-2015, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Gamma doesn't do letters - just the standard sponsor form. I've done hundreds over the years and I think the best advise is to follow the form. It's very explicit and allows you to expand on what you know about the woman in question. Be sure to complete ALL sections of the form so that they know how well you know her. Make sure all your comments are positive - IF you feel that way about her! You can PM me if you if have specific questions. Be sure to attach her resume, transcript, and pictures!
Old 06-29-2015, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Delta Gamma doesn't do letters - just the standard sponsor form. I've done hundreds over the years and I think the best advise is to follow the form. It's very explicit and allows you to expand on what you know about the woman in question. Be sure to complete ALL sections of the form so that they know how well you know her. Make sure all your comments are positive - IF you feel that way about her! You can PM me if you if have specific questions. Be sure to attach her resume, transcript, and pictures!
What Titchou said - complete the form. There is not enough room for all the activities and honors etc, so if you have to, write "see resume." I write as much as I can and then write "see resume."
If you want to comment beyond what our very crowded form will hold, write a separate note. Just in case the note and the form get separated, be sure to write your PNM's name on it and sign it with your name (write legibly!!).
If you fill out the PDF version, IT WILL NOT SAVE, unless you have the very expensive Adobe software already loaded. Print it out and sign.
For e-mailing, you'll have to scan everything and e-mail the scanned versions.
And please try to send as soon as possible! U of Alabama already has 1800 registererd and is anticipating upwards of 2400 this year. It takes a long time to process all that, so the sooner you send the better!
If you want to alert the chapter to a PNM you think would be unsuitable for membership, DO send a sponsor form! You can check the line that says "I do not wish to sponsor." Add a note that says "call me" (and your phone number!) in case the chapter needs more details. Don't assume the chapter won't pledge someone without a sponsor form! As you know, that can be resolved.

THANK YOU for sponsoring your PNMs! Every word you write will be read and considered!

Last edited by AnchorAlumna; 06-29-2015 at 12:07 AM.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you everyone!
Old 06-29-2015, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Appreciate the advice (and thankfully, don't need them for *this* year) but I'm still concerned. My natural writing style is bullet points, and one- or two-word answers. It sounds like this is not what is expected at competitive schools.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post
Appreciate the advice (and thankfully, don't need them for *this* year) but I'm still concerned. My natural writing style is bullet points, and one- or two-word answers. It sounds like this is not what is expected at competitive schools.
No! No! That's just fine, DGTess. IF you have anything else to add, such as "Suzie Que's family is one of the oldest in our area. Their name is on the bank, library, and stadium. I taught her in 4th grade and she dates my husband's brother's wife's aunt's cousin. Her mother died when she was 13 and she had some rebellion issues, but those settled down when her dad married the town librarian" or some such thing that you'd like to elaborate on. But you don't HAVE to elaborate at all.
Bullet-type responses are just fine!

Old 06-30-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiWantstoTravel View Post
Hello everyone -

I have been lurking on the GC forums for quite a while but have never been bold enough to post.

I am a Delta Gamma; initiation chapter was Gamma Upsilon (Go Shox!)

For the first time in forever I've been asked to write recommendation letters/forms, and I'm stumped in how to best relay all the positive things I know about these young women without making them sound completely boring! These three are all friends of my daughter and I have known them for years. I have no reservations about them. One will be participating in a very competitive recruitment at a large Texas school; the others (and my daughter) at a somewhat less competitive but still intimidating Oklahoma school.
I have been only very lightly involved with our local alum group mostly because of my work schedule. Somehow, it seems easier to ask all of you for any pearls of wisdom you may have. I know I'm running late with these and want to get them off ASAP but I can't seem to compose anything I'm happy with. Am I overthinking this?

Thanks very much for any advice you may be able to share.

Diane
Just FYI - if the Oklahoma school is OU, don't be deceived, it is very competitive.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I pretty much write in bullet points as well because there isn't that much room on the form - top girl out of XYZ HS, great family, extremely intelligent, would love to have her back home as a DG, etc, etc, etc.....
Old 06-30-2015, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

OK, thank you. I expected to find whole paragraphs and tons and tons of information. I just don't want to jeopardize any chances for the very few women I know who will be rushing in the next 3-4 years.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

These days, all of the forms have to be scanned in and sent to EO, so it is really helpful when they arrive electronically. If your PMN is just amazing, you can still attach a resume and picture (which is needed, especially at the larger recruitments) but it allows the chapter to save the forms in a file to be sent to EO when we they join.