GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,866
1 members and 1,865 guests
Cookiez17

Old 02-08-2007, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Greek Week Ideas Please?

Hey All,
I'm on the Greek Affairs council for Wright State University in Dayton, OH we have a greek life of about 400 with 5 IFC, 5 PHC, and 6 NPHC chapters. I would really love if anyone had good ideas or past experiences with greek week themes that we could use. Please help me out and let me4 know good themes you have used at your school or other schools. Thank you so much
In Greek Love,
Heather
Old 02-08-2007, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Themes here in the last 4 years have been Movies, TV Shows, Around the World, Decades..I dunno what this year's is, but I hope its not lame
Old 02-08-2007, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flirt5721
For Greek Week at NMSU we always have:
1)Greek Sing: Each chapter has a selected topic and they have to make a 5 play/show/musical whatever of the topic they have selected: We have had topics like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Candy Shop, Disney, Pirates of the Carribean, School of Rock, Harry Potter, and more......
2)Campus Service: a day in which we do on campus community service
3)Day of Caring: Community service out in the commuinty
4)Fun Day: Day we have fun with games like crest drawing, spontanious events, karioki, moon bounce (yeah i know i can't spell)
4)Greek Olympics: tug of war, relays, prymid, 10 legged race.....
5)Speaker: Invite a speak to talk about issues dealing with greek life

"The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword"
Land of Entrapment has me again
Old 02-09-2007, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

All that stuff is terrible.

No one actually wants to go to it and then people are usually forced to.

Do an IFC cookout. Those are usually fun, whatever kind of big open grass spaces you have (we do it in the Garden, which is a tailgating spot for football games). Have y'alls football coach judge the bbq and declare a winner. Declare the dress code business casual at the very least. Have the sororities show up with cakes and drinks and so on. Make it free to get in, have fun. That's what starts off our Row Week on Tuesday, and then people have parties every night afterwards. Stupid rap groups come to some houses (Youngbloodz, Bone Thugs, Naughty By Nature, Master P, Nappy Roots), some have country bands, some have random rock bands (Gin Blossoms notably).
Old 02-09-2007, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flirt5721 View Post
For Greek Week at NMSU we always have:
1)Greek Sing: Each chapter has a selected topic and they have to make a 5 play/show/musical whatever of the topic they have selected: We have had topics like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Candy Shop, Disney, Pirates of the Carribean, School of Rock, Harry Potter, and more......
2)Campus Service: a day in which we do on campus community service
3)Day of Caring: Community service out in the commuinty
4)Fun Day: Day we have fun with games like crest drawing, spontanious events, karioki, moon bounce (yeah i know i can't spell)
4)Greek Olympics: tug of war, relays, prymid, 10 legged race.....
5)Speaker: Invite a speak to talk about issues dealing with greek life
That sounds a lot like what we used to do.

The Day of Caring is good. I always thought that we should mix it up. Instead of each chapter doing its own community service, they could mix up the groups (ie, several members from each organization working together to do a certain service). That would truly make it a Greek Week activity and get the groups working together.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)

Last edited by LaneSig; 02-09-2007 at 08:19 AM.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink Greek week

We always do a song and skit on friday. The events during the week leading up to greek day usually change, but some have been toliet paper race, where you unrole a role of toilet paper around someone and the quickest wins. Orange race, where you get an orange, put it on the ground then get a a baseball put it in pantyhose which is tied around the waist of a member and you try to hit the orange across a line using by swinging the baseball. This game makes for some interesting moves. The messiest thing we have done is a pudding drop. Empty 2 things of pudding into a ziplock bag. have one person holding the bag blindfolded while another lies no their back (you have to have a large open area with 2 floors, one person on the 1st floor the other on the 2nd) with a cup in their mouth. A corner of the bag is cut and the blindfolded person tried to drop as much pudding into the cup. The person on the ground can move but has to remain on their back and the cup in their mouth. The winner is the team with the heaviest cup. Dixie cups work best.

Hope that helps

AM
Old 02-09-2007, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Since you asked for themes, and not event ideas, I have some thoughts. Are you looking for an overall theme that groups would then pick their own theme to match or are you just looking for a central theme that everyone would do?

Here are some that would be good for groups to pick a related theme to match the overall theme:
Around the US with the Greeks (groups would pick states to represent throughout week)
Famous Couples throughout History
Movie Genres (westerns, John Hughes movies, chick flicks, mod movies)
Celebrating Crazy Cartoons
Movies of the 80's (or 90's)
No Matter the Tune, We All One Community (country, pop, rock, indie etc.)

Also, you might do a search here since its likely this has been covered
Old 02-09-2007, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
That sounds a lot like what we used to do.

The Day of Caring is good. I always thought that we should mix it up. Instead of each chapter doing its own community service, they could mix up the groups (ie, several members from each organization working together to do a certain service). That would truly make it a Greek Week activity and get the groups working together.

We do mix up the chapters. Each memeber goes during a time at they have free from 8 am to 3pm to check in and get their assigned place. The Day Chairs for that day randomly choose where to send people.

Old 02-09-2007, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
All that stuff is terrible.

No one actually wants to go to it and then people are usually forced to.

Do an IFC cookout. Those are usually fun, whatever kind of big open grass spaces you have (we do it in the Garden, which is a tailgating spot for football games). Have y'alls football coach judge the bbq and declare a winner. Declare the dress code business casual at the very least. Have the sororities show up with cakes and drinks and so on. Make it free to get in, have fun. That's what starts off our Row Week on Tuesday, and then people have parties every night afterwards. Stupid rap groups come to some houses (Youngbloodz, Bone Thugs, Naughty By Nature, Master P, Nappy Roots), some have country bands, some have random rock bands (Gin Blossoms notably).

Believe it or not a lot to the Greek really enjoy this stuff. Why? I don't know. It is not something that we force them to do. Only member of each chapter that really want to do it put their name on the participation list. Once on that list you should go....if you don't you lose points.

Old 02-09-2007, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngelPhiSig
Our greek week in college was mainly sporting events.

We would have volleyball, soccer, swimming, track and field (greek olympics, including 5 legged race, potato sack, chariots, rope pull), greek sing (formal song- no dancing or props, just singing and informal - dancing, props and singing), banner contest, football... it was great!
Old 02-09-2007, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

We are doing Greeks Hit the Streets that i'm planing so we have that sat. during the day. And we do Lip sync whihc is dancing and skits to music. I was looking for good overall themes like Ohio State did a mafia theme. We get a few chapters out to it but we are redoing it and trying the get the whole greek community involved. we are looking at the second week in may to do this so we ahve some time but not a lot. keep the ideas coming thank you so much I love my fellow greekers.