GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,413
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, LarryByday
» Online Users: 572
1 members and 571 guests
davidsholzeo679

Old 06-27-2007, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
I hope the dentist has to drill in your teeth. It's a fair punishment for leaving all of us hanging like that. (I'm only joking I wouldn't wish that torture on Sadaam Hussein)

Seriously, update, please.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-27-2007, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Honey, since your were planning on transfering did that have anything to do with how you ranked/evaluated chapters during rush?
Old 06-27-2007, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Did the phone call have anything to do with the fact that you were only 16?!?!?! LOL, I'm reaching... but we need to know! Please hurry back and tell us!
Old 06-27-2007, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe her mom had to sign something?
Old 06-27-2007, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful_Bubbles View Post
Lol I can't imagine starting college at 16...
It was odd in ways, but then again, I was always the youngest in my class. The truly weird part was that I had just gotten my driver's license!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
Honey, since your were planning on transfering did that have anything to do with how you ranked/evaluated chapters during rush?
It had everything to do with my choice in colleges, and to a large extent, ranking the chapters. Being a legacy, I didn't even consider going to a school without a chapter of ABC.

Sorry about the dentist bit (no pun intended) - I honestly hadn't noticed the time. AND, it was two and a half hours long, for those who feel that I needed that pain! But onwards and upwards!

The Greek Advisor told my mother that both the Garnets and the Rubies hadn't realized my age, and that I had to have Parental Consent to accept a bid. My mother got into a bit of an argument with her, saying that this was NOT the time to bring this up, it should have been noted much earlier, she would consent to whichever decision I made. They compromised that she and/or my daddy would go to the Greek Office and sign the appropriate forms, and also at whichever sorority I received a bid the next day, so if I was given a bid, I could celebrate with my pledge class. While she was on a roll, my mother then said, "Well, did Honey get a bid or not?!" I about died of embarrassment, hearing her say that! The answer must have been yes, because she told me to head back to campus!

The line to the Greek Advisor's office was around the corner and all the way down the hall. The silence was amazing - no one cracked a smile unless it was a small, nervous grin. Finally, the first woman was called into the office. Five minutes later, she walked past us quickly, eyes downcast. Uh-oh... Then another, and another - each with a different expression on her face. I saw one woman who had been at one of the Prefs with me, and she had this big old envelope, trimmed in sorority colors! YES!!! That would be ME!!! Then more, some grinning, others downcast, until finally I reached the Office. The first thing the Greek Advisor said was, "Is your mother's name really Dixie Lee?" Well, duh! It was on the initial rush form! Then, horror of horrors, I was given a small envelope! They all said, "OPEN IT!!" I opened the bid and it said, "The Sisters of Alpha Iota Chapter of Alpha Delta Pi extend their bid to Honey, in the hopes that she will meet the requirements of being initiated into membership." I looked up in surprise - this wasn't the big honking envelope I had seen in the other women's hands! They asked me if I was happy, and I practically screamed with excitement - "YES!!!" They laughed and told me to head on over to the ADPi Suite.

I was beaming when I entered Amos Hall, which you could hear long before you saw. When I finally got into the elevator and off on the 10th floor (yes, they had run down 10 flights of stairs in those white tulle formals!), there was screaming and hugging and singing - it was wonderful! They eventually started singing the Greek alphabet song, and were shocked that I knew it already - my sixth grade teacher (from LSU) had taught it to us, and I remembered it. After everyone was there and accounted for, we had our Pledge Ceremony, then headed over to the All-Greek Mixer. Ann & Lisa were my Pledge Sisters, but *sigh* Meg had become a Diamond. Meg and I went on to represent our GLOs in Junior Panhel, and remained friends for years - to the surprise of many. I discovered that there wasn't an ADPi chapter at William & Mary, and ended up giving up my scholarship (I know, bad move!). My mother was heartbroken for a while, being a real drama queen about sending my grandmother's Key back to their headquarters, even though she could have saved it for her granddaughter, if... Pitt slowly cut back on the Frills Rush (of course, after I had my own dress!), but I have to admit, if it hadn't cost each chapter so much, it was spectacular, and I'm glad I got my frills!
Old 06-27-2007, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

WONDERFUL story Honey, thank you so much for sharing!
Old 06-28-2007, 12:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Yeah Honey! Yeah ADPi!!! Yeah to frills!!!!!!!
Old 06-28-2007, 02:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Wonderful story, honeychile! Thanks for sharing it.

I'm just a little confused about something...
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post

I saw one woman who had been at one of the Prefs with me, and she had this big old envelope, trimmed in sorority colors! YES!!! That would be ME!!! Then, horror of horrors, I was given a small envelope! They all said, "OPEN IT!!" I opened the bid and it said, "The Sisters of Alpha Iota Chapter of Alpha Delta Pi extend their bid to Honey, in the hopes that she will meet the requirements of being initiated into membership." I looked up in surprise - this wasn't the big honking envelope I had seen in the other women's hands!
ADPi was Garnets, right? So why did your envelope look different?

Quote:
I'm glad I got my frills!
Me too! I got a wonderful vicarious thrill from reading your story.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Quote:
It was odd in ways, but then again, I was always the youngest in my class. The truly weird part was that I had just gotten my driver's license!

The Greek Advisor told my mother that both the Garnets and the Rubies hadn't realized my age, and that I had to have Parental Consent to accept a bid. ....
I find this very interesting ... I rushed (yes rushed) in the fall of 1970 at just turned 17 (by 6 weeks) and there was never any question about my age (at least that I know of) ... I should ask my mother and see if my parents were ever contacted.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Yeah to ADPi! Great story, honeychile! Could you please reveal which chapter was which?
Old 06-28-2007, 08:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukemama View Post
Yeah to ADPi! Great story, honeychile! Could you please reveal which chapter was which?
Ditto!
Old 06-28-2007, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Anne View Post
Wonderful story, honeychile! Thanks for sharing it.

I'm just a little confused about something...

ADPi was Garnets, right? So why did your envelope look different?
Because of the blue color!

The Chapters are (and please read the explanation afterwards):

Garnets = ADPi
Sapphires = AEPhi
Amethysts = Tri Delta
Opals = DZ
Emeralds = DPhiE
Topaz = TPA
Diamonds = Theta
Rubies = Kappa
Pearls = SDT
Jade = ChiO

This was at the time when AEPhi & SDT were allowed to rush non-Jewish members, but very rarely did. TPA was the same way with non-Catholics. It's hard to understand in this day & age, but what would happen during Rush was that they would steer the conversation towards the High Holy Days ("Do you want to see the Sedar Plate that my boyfriend got me?") or Catholic school. It was mostly understood by both parties that eh, not a match.

Also, I really did like some of the Emeralds - I just didn't like the way my Rho Chi handled our group. First, I didn't find out until afterwards that she was supposed to have disaffiliated - and she definitely intimidated us, if not more. One of the people in my Rho Chi group did become an Emerald, and one of my favorite GC people is one .

Last edited by honeychile; 06-28-2007 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Not going to tell us who the Emeralds are, huh.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSAI View Post
Not going to tell us who the Emeralds are, huh.
She gave a list of the sororities at the begining...

If you really want to know, figure out who's missing.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

It was Tri-Delta!! Silly me