GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,894
0 members and 1,894 guests
No Members online

Old 07-02-2004, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Advice??

I need some advice on my job search situation. 2 days ago, I was offered a job with a company. It would be a very entry-level reception and marketing position in a field that I have very little interest in. It would also not be paying much, and would involve close to an hour commute each way every day.
Today, I had an interview with an ad agency in which the woman told me that I need to be in PR (which I have wanted to do for a couple years now), and she told me this without my even mentioning PR. She said that I would be great in that field, and that she wanted to call a guy that she knows at a PR firm and tell him to bring me in for an interview. She also said that even if he does not have anything for me, that he can put me in touch with the right people. All of this might not even get started for another week or two.

OK, so the problem is, do I take the not-so-great job that I have already been offered or hold out for something that may suit me better?
Right now, I am working part time for very little money, and that is the biggest issue I have with holding out for the better job. I still have rent and bills to pay.

SO, does anyone have any good advice for what they think I should do?

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-02-2004, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush....

Take what you've been offered today so you can pay your bills, and keep working toward landing your dream job!
Old 07-02-2004, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

That definately makes sense, but I would hate to take this job, and then end up leaving it in a month or so if something else comes along.

I wouldn't say that I'm completely broke or anything, and I know that if I need it my family will help me out until I get on my feet. Things would just be VERY tight for a little while.

Last edited by Lindz928; 07-02-2004 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-02-2004, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

This was the same situation I was in, I just accepted a sales assistant position at a media marketing firm. All throughout my interview process they basically spelled out that I'm over qualified but that they don't have any other vacancies. I accepted the not so great paying position and was told to look forward to the opportunity of moving into an account executive position in a years time.

I checked ad agencies in the area and felt I was under qualified, but I know I will be great at my job once I learn the business. My firm does television marketing and I have done stuff with print media and radio so I kind of need to learn the business a little.

So take what you can get, theres nothing written in stone as to how long you have to stay there. The economy is picking up so in a few months you could have tons of options. But I know I don't want to keep waiting tables till something better comes.

It's never "settling" unless you think it is!
My 6th grade teacher once wrote me a letter and in it was this quote which I have used many times:

The rungs of the ladder of success are not meant to be rested on, but to support us until we are able to climb higher.

Think of it as a quick breather
Old 07-02-2004, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Advice??

Quote:
Originally posted by Lindz928

SO, does anyone have any good advice for what they think I should do?

I agree with everyone else. Take this job and keep your options open (especially if it pays more than what you're making now). At least by taking this job, your getting expose to the working world. You may learn something (ANYTHING) in reception and marketing that you could use when interviewing within the PR field. Granted, the two fields are different, but its not like you would be going from ..... say nursing to PR.

And don't worry about quiting about a month or so. I know folks that have taken job and have wuit after 2 weeks (because something better came along at the last minute).