GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,521
0 members and 1,521 guests
No Members online

Old 06-01-2004, 07:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Would you try to get someone you know a job in your company?

Would you try to get a friend or someone you know a job in your company?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-01-2004, 09:28 AM
GreekChat Member

In a heartbeat, if only to get the $1500 referral bonus!! LOL Naw, my company's a good place to work and save a few departments, I would recommend someone working there. Of course the other side of the coin is do I want that person working with me? I don't it to be said about a bad employee: You know, Eclipse recommended them!
Old 06-01-2004, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
Quote:
Originally posted by Eclipse
In a heartbeat, if only to get the $1500 referral bonus!! LOL Naw, my company's a good place to work and save a few departments, I would recommend someone working there. Of course the other side of the coin is do I want that person working with me? I don't it to be said about a bad employee: You know, Eclipse recommended them!
Agreed. I would get my friend a job in a heartbeat if I ould. However it would really all depend on the friend. Is he/she a hard worker or will they make me look bad? I want to make sure they reflect the recommendation I gave them because if they don't it's my behind.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with Eclipse and Lady Pi Phi...

If you reccomend someone you know for a position and you KNOW ahead of time that they arent a good worker, then you could be setting up yourself for trouble.

Also, later down the line when you want to get someone a job at your company that you know that IS a good employee, you may not be able to help them becuase your opinion wont be as respected.

As selfish as this sounds, think of how it can affect YOUR job and career first and foremost.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Actully this is how I got my current job. My friend told me of an opening at her company. I interviewed and it will be a year on the 24th since I've been there
Old 06-02-2004, 01:03 AM
GreekChat Member

You should if your friend needs the money, or if he/she would be at it, enjoy it, then yes, no matter how big or small the company. Be careful though, you don't want to be out of a job because they can only afford one of you, don't like you anymore, etc.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm always encouraging people to come work in my agency but no one really has a background in Social Work/Mental Health. I've gotten one friend a job here (about 5 years ago, wow has it been that long!) and she left almost immediately for a higher paying job. *sigh* But I know what y'all are saying about "taking chances" with someone. My Director flat out told me he didn't want to hire anyone's "friend" because it could create a whole bunch of bad stuff in the long-run. But we do have other programs we could "refer" people to.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovelyivy84
networking is how it works

That seems to be how everyone in the field I want to be in gets a job. Most of the people hiring go right past HR and get resumes from friends or friends of coworkers that are looking. I can't really knock it though sicne that's how I got my job (that I start in two weeks).
It may be said with rough accuracy that there are three stages in the life of a strong people. First, it is a small power, and fights small powers. Then it is a great power, and fights great powers. Then it is a great power, and fights small powers, but pretends that they are great powers, in order to rekindle the ashes of its ancient emotion and vanity.-- G.K. Chesterton
Old 06-04-2004, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
Yes, and I'm trying to do that now. I don't see a problem with this if you really know the person well and are pretty sure they won't "cut the fool" on the job.