GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,254
2 members and 1,252 guests
FSUZeta, LaneSig

Old 09-26-2000, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree sigmagrrl A person should be in a sorority that accepts and loves her no matter how she dresses!
Old 10-05-2000, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Tweety
All this advice sounds really good, but I have already gone through a spring and now a fall rush, and have not been offered a bid. I finally am sure about which Sorority I want to be a part of, but I don't know if it's even worth it to try to get in once again. I have some friands at work who are alums of other sororities, but nobody from this one. I am currently a junior with only a 2.7 GPA. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 10-11-2000, 01:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Just an idea for ladies who need reccomendations. I would suggest going to the sorority's website (pretty much all of them have a site at www.thesororitysname.org)and tell them you are very interested in their chapter and wondering if they have a local alumni association that you could contact. I'm not sure if it would work, but it is definitely worth a shot!
Old 10-11-2000, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
There are links to all 26 NPC sorority websites via http://www.npcwomen.org . Not all are obvious - for example, Kappa Alpha Theta is thetahq.org, not kappaalphatheta.org.

The NPHC groups are found at http://www.nphc.org .

Other groups, such as Latina, Asian-American, Multicultural and local can most likely be found by a campus or web search engine.
Old 10-11-2000, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I just wanted to say thanks to all of those who have posted the different informational websites, not only under this thread, but in general. I have learned so much esp. from the http://www.npcwomen.org link.

Thanks again

Allison
Old 11-03-2000, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

This is so informative. I appreciate all of the advice.....Thank You so much
Old 02-08-2001, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Question

QUESTION. what is C.O.B?
Old 02-25-2001, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
COB is Continuous Open Bidding.

Old 02-25-2001, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HeidiHo
Quote:
Originally posted by southern_theta:
******BEFORE RUSH********************

you should choose the house that has girls who are like you right now, not one that has girls that you want to become more like.

I think this fits socially, but say, for example, you're a C average student, it would be perfectly fine to go with a "smart" house.
I have always been average, but now I'm surrounded by girls who have 3.5 GPAs. I want to do better not only because I don't want to disapoint the girls, but because I look up to my sisters. I am almost starstruck by these girls, especially the seniors. They're beautiful, active, sweet & smart! It can't do any harm to try to improve yourself.
However, wanting to be a party girl who when you know you aren't a "social butterfly" can leave you feeling isolated.
All in all- DON'T SHORT CHANGE YOURSELF! Never think that you aren't pretty/smart/social/WHATEVER enough.
Best of luck to all Rushees! Let us know how it goes!
Heidi
Old 02-28-2001, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

No offense to anyone, but I think this thread is a bit...over the top. I mean, I was not stressing every night over what to wear to pref night, or any of the other parties for that matter. Just be yourself. If the girls at a certain house don't like the real you, then do you really want to be a sister there? I think it's a bit silly that people would suggest looking up info. on certain sororities that you like, or even dressing a certain way. Yes, this rush period is SOOO exciting, and if you get into the house you really wanted, you will be so happy, and it will remain with you for the rest of your life. I just don't think anyone should "change" just so they'll get a bid where they think they want to go. Hopefully anyone who plans on rushing will read this thread and take it with a grain of salt. Some of the advice is good, like being true to yourself, but don't just dress to impress---BE YOURSELF!

Erin

------------------
Rise and shine and become a Kappa Gamma!
Old 03-01-2001, 08:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Kappa, you are right, but unfortunately our world is not perfect. I see on your profile you live in the Northeast where I don't think rush is as intense as in the South. I think Southern Theta has given top-notch rush advice all year. Of course rushees should look for the house where they will be most comfortable and not try to fit into an image. But in our world,whether business or social, we all try to fit in and are more comfortable knowing what is expected. In many of the Southern schools rush is very competitive and many girls get cut, as has been discussed in other threads. Knowing what to wear and what will happen just boosts the confidence level, no one should try to change their entire persona. I went to school in Texas but now live in California, where rush is quite relaxed. But when I sent my daughter down to Texas, she needed dressier clothes for rush. I think my knowledge of how things work there made the difference for her and she had a great rush. It doesn't mean changing your personality, I look at it as being appropriate for a group that you are interested in joining. This occurs in many situations throught life. May not be right, but that's the way it is.
Old 03-01-2001, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Dear KappaGirl,

Ideally, no one would have to change herself or dress to please or whatever during rush. In actuality, during rush at a large Southern university where you're competing for a bid with hundreds and hundreds of other girls--you have to stand out somehow, be it through your activities, gradepoint, sparkling personality, dress, or whatever! It's not that the ABCs won't like you if you don't stand out--it's just that they have a precious few days to choose a pledge class from all those rushees and they'll choose the people who shine in one way or another.

I wish it could be some other way but for now--that's pretty much it. Once you pledge, you can relax and be yourself and any good sorority will accept and celebrate you for who you are.

[This message has been edited by carnation (edited March 01, 2001).]
Old 03-01-2001, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with carnation. I attended a Southern school, and even though it was small, competition was fierce. Knowing how to dress and being a little knowledgeable about the sororities was very helpful. Our Greek Affairs office published a Rush manual showing a brief history of each sorority, pictures of the sisters, a description of what each day of Rush would entail and what clothing was appropriate for each day. It was a big help.
Old 03-02-2001, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

As someone who was born, bred, and groomed for Panhellenic rush in the South, I was in for a rude awakening when I did Recruitment at a liberal Ivy League university in New England! Over Christmas Break (we have Deferred Rush), I had gotten enough clothes to allow a small nation to go through Rush in style, a nice black dress for Pref...and didn't need half of it! Oh well, one can't have too many clothes! Also, my chapter told me that my Rush rec was the first one they had seen...they told me how much it impressed them! I didn't think it was so good, considering I didn't have multiple legacies or whatnot, like my friends did.
Old 03-02-2001, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

dzrose,
At my school we got handed out a packet recommending what we should wear to the parties, giving a brief overview of the sororities, and just telling us a little about what would be going on at each party, too. I think that was fine, and it helped alot to calm our nerves. I just think having that long post at the beginning of this topic was a bit much, but I guess things are just different in the south.
Erin

------------------
Rise and shine and become a Kappa Gamma!