GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,691
2 members and 1,689 guests
Overthinker, Sister Havana

Old 11-10-2017, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

I am trying to figure out why the sororities are being included. They can't just say, "Well, they've hazed on other campuses," because then they would have to include NPHCs and multiculturals. And then they would also have to include the band, ROTC, and athletic teams if they were going to follow that line of thinking.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:27 AM

For the same reason fraternities that have zero history of hazing or risk management issues at all are being included. They're part of the Greek system. I don't hold with the "boys are all bad and girls are all good" outlook, but unfortunately, many sorority women think that way. Women should band together and shun the individual fraternities who are screwing up - rather than looking the other way because they're a popular group. Until then, they definitely should get the same punishment.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

They are painting with far too wide a brush, grabbing up all NICs and NPCs--but until they realize this, all group who could possibly haze should be included in this ban.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I am trying to figure out why the sororities are being included. They can't just say, "Well, they've hazed on other campuses," because then they would have to include NPHCs and multiculturals. And then they would also have to include the band, ROTC, and athletic teams if they were going to follow that line of thinking.
I'm speculating here -- but they may be included because they (on the most part) are who attend the fraternity parties. Guilt by association so to speak.

Basically - in most bureaucratic organizations, there comes a tipping point where a decision will be made about whether being associated with another group of organizations is an overall positive or is an overall negative. If it is viewed as being too much of an overall negative, an institution will make a decision and take action, regardless of cause or responsibility. This may be what is happening here. Or then again, it may not be.

Last edited by PhilTau; 11-11-2017 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:44 PM

Potential suspension of all Greek Life in the state schools of Florida:

"The death of a 20-year-old fraternity pledge at Florida State University triggered the indefinite suspension of all fraternities and sororities at FSU, and that suspension could soon could extend statewide, potentially impacting students at the University of West Florida.

The Florida Board of Governors said on Thursday they will consider administering a statewide "timeout" at a January board meeting once they see how FSU's suspension goes."

http://www.pnj.com/story/news/local/...ban/852647001/

Wow.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 11-18-2017, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

FSU Greeks avoided yesterday's homecoming parade. Due to the college president's ban, Greeks were not allowed to enter floats or otherwise participate in the parade. The Tallahassee Democrat(local newspaper) reported that parade crowds were sparse.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

That makes me think of those photos of governments where people remove the men to show how few women there are in elected office. People often forget how involved members of the Greek community are and the impact they have.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WTXL) - Even though Greek life was indefinitely suspended on the campus of Florida State University after the death of a fraternity pledge, officer elections can continue.
http://www.wtxl.com/news/chapter-ele...0202f6af8.html
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 12-01-2017, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

It's better than nothing. Hey students, you can exercise your Constitutional rights, but only if you're supervised.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 12-01-2017, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
It's better than nothing. Hey students, you can exercise your Constitutional rights, but only if you're supervised.
And only for one week!
Old 04-17-2018, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Update on the guilty pleas:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/plead-guilt...ry?id=54520580