GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,305
1 members and 2,304 guests
MSKKG

Old 11-30-2001, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Unhappy to AGDAlum.AGDLynn, Deltalum,justamom, and Tom Earp

I can't believe George is dead.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-30-2001, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Some of us younger ones feel the pain, too. What a loss.

May he rest in peace.
Old 11-30-2001, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

It's funny how a death of a celebrity brings out such strong emotions. I remember when Natalie Wood died. For some reason, it was really hard. My fist tearful love movie (right time, right age) was Splendor in the Grass. What a sad, sweet cople she and Warren Beaty made.
"Though nothing can bring back the hour, of splendor in the grass,
of glory in the flower, we will grieve not, rather find strength in what remains behind."
William Wordsworth

Wasn't he great on the White Album?
Old 11-30-2001, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
OK, here's the weird thing. Jon and I were just talking at breakfast about Ravi Shankar and his influence on George Harrison and the Beatles and how the Beatles were the first artists to create 'world music'. Then I open my e-mail and there's a notice about George Harrison's passing.

I'm very sad....what shame to lose such a creative mind at such a (relatively) young age.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 11-30-2001, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

I am 30 and what is weird for me is that I understand how hard it is for my parents. I called my mom this morning and broke the news to her. I wanted her to hear it before she read it over her morning coffee.

Kind of like when Job Gibbs retired (Redskins coach) my dad LOVES the skins and when he retired I called him at work to tell him.

It like I want to protect them and know they heard it from their daughter. It's weird I know but I have comfort in a weird way.
Old 11-30-2001, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by justamom
It's funny how a death of a celebrity brings out such strong emotions.
i know what you mean... thousands of people die everyday, yet it is the ones in the spotlight, who add something to our lives - like Harrison did with the Beatles, that we mourn - not all that strange. You've been a Beatles lover probably since you first heard them, you have a relationship with them, you might even be able to associate a particular song with an important date/event/person in your life - losing a member of the Beatles almost feels like that memory is decreasing...

I'm getting too philisophical on myself.... I was really sad to hear about George Harrison, he was an incredible artist, and i've always loved the beatles.
Old 11-30-2001, 10:59 AM

"We had the time of our lives: We laughed for years."

George Harrison
Old 11-30-2001, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
Will anyone miss poor Ringo when he passes?
Old 11-30-2001, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally posted by zntke711
Will anyone miss poor Ringo when he passes?
I will - I love his attitude and I think his contribution to music is underplayed.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 11-30-2001, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

And then there were two...

Hey, this sadness isn't limited to those born before 1970...it was the first thing I heard this morning, and although I wasn't surprised, I was damned saddened. The only reason I wasn't exactly surprised was that I had read it in the Boston Herald day before yesterday.
Old 11-30-2001, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally posted by PnguinTrax

I will - I love his attitude and I think his contribution to music is underplayed.
As well as his contribution to Thomas the Tank Engine.
Old 11-30-2001, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

The thing about the Beatles was that so much of what they did defined eras of our lives. Who would've thought that one band out of the many over there would have such an impact on society? And who knows why they did?

In the mid sixties, I asked my mom who the Beatles were and she said, "They're just this group of long-haired boys. They'll never last." The in my last year of high school, the "Paul is dead" rumors spread and we eagerly grabbed onto each tidbit.

John was killed during my honeymoon.

Well, God rest their souls.
Old 11-30-2001, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

We (as did EVERYONE) would discuss for HOURS which one was the cutest. This could get really heated!
Carnaton, I remember "Paul is dead" The Abby Road cover PROVED it (Paul walking barefoot) remember? AND, if you played it backwards...

Yes, we grew up with the Beatles as did my own kids. They just experienced it in a different way.

HELP! was a great movie!

OUR conclusion was-
Paul was the cutest, John the most talented, George was really sexy and Ringo-everyone wishd they were friends with Ringo because he was FUNNY!

I liked Paul!
Old 11-30-2001, 11:38 PM

Another little part of our youth slipping away.

Paul was also wearing white which, as I recall, is a symbol of death in Hindu.

I just this evening got back from a trip to LA where I was listening to KRTH (K-Earth 101), one of the great oldies stations in the country because they still have some of the legendary jocks of the 60's on thier air -- and, of course, they were playing lots of Beatles music all day along with sound bites.

They were flying the flag at the Columbia Records headquarters at half staff.

When I was in London last I went by the "Abby Road" corner -- allegedly the most photographed corner in the world -- and bought my wife a present on Carnaby Street. Just so I could say I'd been there.

I think they called George "the Quiet Beatle." In relation to Lennon and McCartney, that was probably true.

During college I interviewed Terry Kirkman, lead singer and writer for The Association and he pointed to "Sgt. Pepper" and the Beach Boys "Pet Sounds" as the two most important albums in the history of rock -- at least to that point. Interesting that tragedy and misfortune has plagued both bands.

The Beatles helped define not only our generation, but the course of rock and roll from that time forward.

"All we are saying, is give peace a chance..."

"And in my hour of darkness, there is still a light that shines on me...

There will be an answer, Seeking words of wisdom, Shine on 'till tomorrow..."

Let It Be...

Last edited by DeltAlum; 12-01-2001 at 12:41 AM.
Old 12-01-2001, 06:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Delt Alum-I got chills reading the verse from Let It Be.

Last night they listed some of the songs he wrote. I was amazed when it was all layed out. He really was a true lyrical master. His melodies beautiful as well.