GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,334
5 members and 2,329 guests
JayhawkAOII, LaneSig, TLLK

Old 04-13-2009, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

DoodleK's Recruitment Tale

I forgot all about greek chat until today when I was procrastinating and I realized I have to tell you all my recruitment story! Its been a few months since I went through recruitment and I have since been initiated! I love my sorority and my new member class so much! It was totally worth the week of super stress that is recruitment! (Just a reminder, I would like to stay anonymous – so if you know what school or what chapter I am talking about, please don’t post it – I’m happy to confirm your thoughts via PM though)

Anywhoo…. last we left it, it was winter term. My school does recruitment the week between winter term and spring term so there are no classes then. I was really nervous about recruitment, I had gotten 4 recommendations out of 8 chapters. I was told by a lot of people that “recs” were not important, but they didn’t hurt either. During winter term I had met my Pi Chi (Recruitment Counselor) and we immediately clicked. I didn’t know anyone in my Pi Chi group, and the group was a real mix of girls. Some I made friends with quickly and others who were really focused on getting into a “top group” so they badmouthed other sororities. I was really trying to keep an open mind as much as possible. There were 4 chapters that I was really interested in because of their presence on campus and they just seemed like fun, friendly people, 2 chapters that I didn’t know anything about (except from what the rumor mill produced)and wanted to learn more and 2 that I had gotten awkward/bad vibes from some of their members.

Since it’s the Spring, I’ll name the sororities after flowers/plants:

Daffodil
Cherry Blossom
Lillac
Sunflower
Peony
Tulip
Orchid
Hyacinth
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-13-2009, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: somewhere in an area where we usually get all four seasons :)
Send a message via AIM to sceniczip
I'm going for Cherry Blossom!
Old 04-13-2009, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Lilacs are beautiful and smell great so Go Lilacs!
Old 04-13-2009, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm OBESSESED with orchids so GO ORCHIDS!
Old 04-13-2009, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DZJess Send a message via Skype™ to DZJess
GOOO Sunflower!
Old 04-14-2009, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Go Tulips!!
Old 04-14-2009, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm torn between choosing the cheerful Sunflower or the pretty Daffodil, so right now, I'll root for both!
Old 04-14-2009, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, I will take Peony today! (all of them are covered now)
Old 04-14-2009, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

The day before recruitment began we had a big convocation/presentation by Panhellenic. They went over rules, did some skits and then we broke off into our groups and talked for a little bit. All the Pi Chis kept telling us that it was normal to be nervous, but that we should enjoy recruitment because its lots of fun. The night before first round me and half my hall were studying everything about the chapters online, checking facebook, going over our outfits for the hundredth time and generally stressing.

The morning of first round was rainy and miserable. I met my Pi Chi group early and we waited for recruitment to officially start. We were mixed with another group or two and forced to stand outside our first house in alphabetical order. There was definetly an air of nervousness and stress. The two girls in front of me (we’ll call them Frick and Frack) didn’t help the situation – they were going on and on about how recruitment was so dumb because they already knew that they were going to be Daffodils!

Then the banging and singing and cheering started all over our greek row. Myself and the girl standing behind me began laughing. What had we gotten ourselves into? The banging and singing quieted Frick and Frack. The Pi Chis did a countdown and the door to the first house swung open. Recruitment had officially begun!

To be honest, first round was really a blur! So here are just some things that stood out:

Daffodil – I had heard mixed things about Daffodil all fall semester. I had a rec here, but I didn’t know if I could be a Daffodil. They were known for being beautiful and elite. There had been a rumor that they had already picked their new member class before recruitment began so most girls didn’t stand a chance. I honestly knew nothing about Daffodil’s sorority or their sisterhood. The Daffodil that met me first was very sweet and perfectly put together. She asked me a million questions – like where I was from, where I lived on campus, what my major was. I was then passed off to a few other girls and before I knew it the party was over. I left feeling overwhelmed by Daffodils.

Next was Cherry Blossom. Frick and Frack got in line in front of me again and would not stop talking about how much they looovvveeeddd Daffodil and didn’t think they should have to go anywhere else.

Cherry Blossom – I also had a rec here. I didn’t know anything about Cherry Blossom on my campus. One of my friends from high school is a Cherry Blossom at her school and she absolutely adores it so I wanted to learn more about them! Upon entering I was immediately grabbed by this girl Betty. Betty was awesome she was friendly, outgoing and had great things to ask me about myself and told me great things about Cherry Blossom. I was then given to another girl to talk to who had been in one of my fall classes, so we talked about class and we shared the same major. She then introduced me to some of the other girls in Cherry Blossom. I enjoyed talking to everyone at Cherry Blossom and got a sense that they really like each other.

I bounced out of Cherry Blossom. They were really great girls and I could totally see myself there. Our group then walked over to Lillac. Frick and Frack were holding court with other PNMs about Cherry Blossom and Lillac. Frick and Frack said that Lillac was a good back-up to Daffodil in their opinion. The Lillacs were classy girls and the sorority was really up and coming. A Pi Chi came over and dismissed the group that had formed and warned Frick and Frack about gossiping.

Lillac – Two girls in my winter term class were Lillacs. They were always friendly towards me and towards other greeks in my class and seemed to get along with everyone. I didn’t have a rec here, but was hoping that I would make a good impression. The first Lillac that picked me up was from my winter term class. She told me how excited she was that I was there. She told me all about the Lillacs and asked me a ton of questions and we talked about our winter term class. After that I was passed off to another Lillac who said she had heard great things about me. Frack overheard this and made a face. I felt really welcome at the Lillac’s house!

Next was Sunflower, while waiting in line Frick and Frack were whispering and the girl who stood behind me and I were becoming fast friends by commenting on how a Pi Chi strategically placed herself next to Frick and Frack.

Sunflower – The Sunflowers were loud and could hear them singing over everyone else in that area. I had a rec here too. The Sunflowers were very visable on campus, they were also the newest sorority on campus, so they hadn’t formed their “identity”. During the fall, I had had a bad encounter with a Sunflower, that kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. We went in the house and I was picked up by a sophomore who had joined in the fall. She said she didn’t go through formal recruitment so this was all new to her too. There was a lot of dead air between us and she seemed relieved when someone else came and got me. The second girl was very bubbly and was very into Sunflower. She talked quite a bit about how great Sunflower was and asked me the same questions that were asked at the other houses. I did see the Sunflower who had given me a bad impression of them while I was there, but I never spoke with her. By the time the party was over, I was left feeling better about Sunflower than before I had went in the house, but it wasn’t a comfortable place for me.

Peony – There were so many random rumors about Peony during fall semester, that you knew that they had to be made up. In contrast to all the other houses, the Peonies were not singing loudly or cheering when we walked in. They were singing this very pretty song and then all of a sudden they yelled the end of it. I had heard that they did this, but was completely startled! A Peony that I had worked with on a class project in the fall picked me up. She was nice and told me that she was excited to see me going through recruitment. We talked for almost the whole party about our major, our families, our dogs back home. I vaguely remember meeting a few other Peony’s and all of them seemed friendly. By the time I left I knew for sure that the rumors could not have possibly been true!

Tulip –In contrast to the Daffodils, there were the Tulips. I had had heard mixed things about Tulips. I had seen them on campus and they seemed nice, they had a great philanthropy that I could get into, but they always seemed stand-offish or uncomfortable around people who weren’t Tulips. I entered the house and I was picked up by someone who kept telling me how Tulip was different from all the other sororities on campus. I felt like she was pushing Tulip on me. I was then passed on to another member who asked me the standard recruitment questions. And then the party was over. I left feeling uncomfortable with the Tulips.

When we walked out of Tulip, the skies opened up and it began downpouring on us. The kind of rain that is in complete sheets. The Pi Chis ushered us into the empty fraternity houses that were being used as break stations and we were told that that we were going to try and wait out the passing thunderstorm. In the break house, the air of nervousness seemed to let up. PNMs were talking and laughing and comparing notes with Pi Chis hovering nearby.

When the rain began to let up a bit, we were ushered down to Orchid and stood in line. That’s when the craziness started. I had heard that Orchid was louder than any other sorority. They were so loud singing and cheering and banging that it was almost if the entire house was shaking. It was scary but kind of fun all at the same time. The girl standing behind me in line commented that she couldn’t believe that they had this much energy still. Frick and Frack commented that these girls must be on speed or something.

Orchid – The Orchids had this “all American girl” feel about them. Some people said that they were complete overachievers too. The doors swung open to a very catchy opening song that had hand motions and stomping and I couldn’t get over how completely choreographed they were. The first Orchid that picked me up told me that she was loosing her voice, but she wanted to get to know me. So she asked me some questions and turned out she had lived on my floor her freshman year and she told me a funny story about something that had happened. Another Orchid came and picked me up and she too was loosing her voice. She said that all the cheering did this, but that they have so much fun being loud together that it was totally worth it. She also mentioned that contrary to campus belief, they have some quiet girls too that balance out the chapter, which was nice to hear. The third sister that picked me up was tired, and you could tell she was dragging. She asked me the same standard questions and we kind of had a dead conversation. I saw one of the Orchids that had been in my winter term class and she waved at me and smiled which gave me a good feeling. The Orchids then broke out into song again and ushered us back outside into the rain!

The last party was Hyacinth. Frick and Frack were chatting it up about a rumor about Hyacinth, but that Hyacinth was still a very good chapter to be apart of. Second of course to Daffodil. By now, I was exhausted, getting a sore throat, and my hair was completely a frizzy mess because of the rain. The Hyacinths also sang and cheered, but even when you were at Hyacinth, you could hear the Orchids loudly and more clearly. Our Pi Chis tried to get all of us motivated by doing their own cheers and trying to make us laugh, but it seemed like all the PNMs were done for the day.

Hyacinths– The Hyacinths were singing a cute song when we entered and the Hyacinth who picked me up told me that she was excited to meet me because she had heard so much about me (from who? I thought). We chatted about the standard recruitment things. I really don’t remember much about this party. I think I was in a tired daze. I left feeling ok about Hyacinth, but not really a connection.

After all the parties, our Pi Chi group marched over to our student center and we had to rank all 8 groups:

1. Lillac
2. Peony
3. Orchid
4. Cherry Blossom
5. Daffodil
6. Hyacinth
7. Sunflower
8. Tulip

Ranking was kind of hard to do. Lillac was definetly number 1. But Peony, Orchid and Cherry Blossom were all tied. I liked those 3 for different reasons. I had a hard time with Daffodil and Hyacinth -- I felt like I was too out of it at Hyacinth and that maybe I was overwhelmed by the process, not just the Daffodils themselves. And while I liked the people I had met at Sunflower, my past experience with the one specific Sunflower colored my perception of them. I was really on the fence with putting Sunflower or Tulip last.

Last edited by DoodleK'Noodle; 04-14-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

FWIW, I love peonies! I don't think anyone has used flowers as code names before - more, please!
Old 04-14-2009, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Can't wait to hear the next round!
Old 04-15-2009, 08:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Round 2 – Philanthropy Round (6 houses)

We got back to our dorm and I had layed out my clothes for the next day, had a few friends check them out and we compared notes. The consensus among my friends were that Lilac, Orchid, Sunflower and Hyacinth were favorites. There were mixed opinions about the rest of the groups. Before going to bed I was concerned that I didn’t make a very good impression at Hyacinth because I was so tired and hoped I would get to go back! I ended up passing out I was so drained from the day.

On the morning of Philanthropy round, the sun was finally shinning! Again we made our way to our Pi Chi who informed us who we would be going back to. I looked at my sheet and I had been invited back to Lilac, Hyacinth, Orchid, Cherry Blossom, Daffodil and Sunflower. What? No Peony? I thought things had went really well! I was a little surprised that Daffodil invited me back and was very surprised that Sunflower had as well. I thought for sure the Sunflower sister that I did not care for would have had me cut.

Again we lined up in front of our first house. This time it was a mix of all the girls who were invited back and not our Pi Chi groups. Of course I got stuck with Frick (of Frick and Frack) in my first party – Orchid. Wow are those girls full of energy!! First party and first thing in the morning, they were singing at the top of their lungs, cheering, clapping, yelling and banging. Standing outside the house I wasn’t sure if I could ever be this excited this early in the morning. Frick seemed really excited to go to Orchid, which surprised me.

Orchid –Again, the door burst open to the Orchids singing a song and yet again another cute choreographed had movement thing. The sister in charge of Philanthropy spoke a little about what they did and I was impressed by the number of awards and community service hours they put in. They then showed a video of all the sisters of the chapter working doing Philanthropic projects. It seemed like the sisters were really into it. I was then picked up by an Orchid I had never met, she was so excited and funny – a bubbly kind of personality that I totally clicked with. She then introduced me to another sister who I worked on their craft with. Their craft was easy to do and really cute. While we were doing it, I asked some questions about their philanthropy and the sister told me some great things. She then asked what organizations I belonged to on campus and I told her that I wasn’t really involved because I wanted to get settled my first semester. Her face literally dropped. I had heard these girls were involved, almost over involved, and was surprised to get this kind of reaction. She rattled off how many great organizations there were on campus and that I should get involved in a matter-of-fact kind of way. I got a little rattled by this. The first Orchid who I had originally met came back to get me, and I guess she could tell I was a little upset. She asked if I was ok and I just told her that I was fine, just got a little overwhelmed with the process. She told me that she had a really hard time during recruitment and to try and just go with the flow and that its hard on everyone.

I really liked the girls I had met at Orchid, but I felt like I wasn’t what they were looking for. I got in line at Lilac, and tried to shake off my self-doubt. I was determined to have a better time at Lilac.

Lilac – We entered the house to the Lilacs singing and clapping this very catchy song. We were seated on the floor and they stood around us singing and clapping and then I noticed it – looking up at them, they all looked the same. The smiles that they were smiling didn’t seem too sincere either. After they stopped singing, the Lilac in charge of Philanthropy told us about what they did. I was picked up by a new Lilac that had I never met, she took me over to do their craft. We chatted for a little while and I thought their craft was a little disconnected from their philanthropy. I asked questions about their philanthropy, and the sister I was talking to kept would give me a short answer and then switch the subject. It seemed like she didn’t want to talk about it. Another Lilac came up and told me she had heard great things about me from the Lilac that had been in my winter term class. I met a couple more sisters but as I left Lilac, I felt a little disappointed.

I got in line for Sunflower next. I tried to clear my head, but a feeling of anxiety rushed over me and I began to get the “what-ifs”. My brother calls me “stress-girl” when I get anxious, and sure enough, Stress-girl was making her appearance. I really did not want to go into Sunflower. Part of me wanted to tell my Pi Chi to just withdraw and be done with the process. I took a few breaths, a Pi Chi came over and told me that I looked like I needed a hug and I told her I did. She gave me a big one and told me that everything would be ok and to relax.

Sunflower – The girls were singing and cheering as we entered the house. I was feeling unsure, but put a smile on my face. The Sunflowers showed us about their philanthropy. It was cute, but it was corporate, not like Orchids which showed the sisters in the chapters doing things. A new Sunflower met me and we went to do their craft which was easy to do and talk at the same time. This Sunflower made me feel really at ease. We stopped talking about the standard sorority conversations and talked about school and how we have meet really great people at our school. I felt really comfortable talking with her. She then introduced me to another sister and I don’t recall what we talked about, but I remember liking her very much. One of the Sunflowers I had met the day before waved and mouthed hello to me, which made me smile too. I left thinking that all of the Sunflowers that I met during recruitment had been really great. My only hesitation about Sunflower was the one that I had had a bad experience with in the fall, and maybe she had just been having a really bad day or something. Or maybe she had forgotten about the incident and I should too.

Next was Daffodil, and Frack was in my group. I tried to avoid her because she and a few other girls were talking and primping for Daffodil. Although after my surprise feelings about Sunflower, I decided that I would not let these girls dissuade me from Daffodil.

Daffodil – We entered the house to a cute, bouncy song. The Daffodils looked perfectly put together. We were again sat on the floor and watched another corporate video about their philanthropy. It was being played on a small tv so I didn’t get to see it very well. I was then picked up by a Daffodil that I had never met, she was sweet and very southern. She led me to a table to make their craft. I hardly made it because I was so into our conversation! We were both from similar town and had friends at the same school. This Daffodil then took me to meet some other Daffodils and I had a great time talking to them too. The party was over before I knew it. I left Daffodil feeling completely opposite of how I had the day before. I still worried that I might not look like a Daffodil, but I felt like I clicked with these girls!

By the time I got to Hyacinth, I was feeling much better. I got a chance to chat with some friends who were in line, we swapped notes about a few houses and then got excited for Hyacinth. I really wanted to give a better impression than I had before.

Hyacinth – The sisters were singing a cute song when we came in and we watched a video. This philanthropy brings tears to my eyes, especially to see how involved the national sorority is with this work. The Hyacinths had a few special events every year, and they seemed like a lot of fun. I was met by a Hyacinth and we chatted, she knew a lot about the Philanthropy and we worked on a cute craft. I was introduced to a few other Hyacinths and liked everyone I met. By the time the party was over, I was happy that they had given me a second chance!

Last was Cherry Blossom. I was hoping I would get to see Betty again and chat with her. I crossed my fingers and hoped Cherry Blossom would be live up to my expectations.

Cherry Blossom – The girls were cheering and singing as we entered the house. We sat on the floor and watched another corporate video. Again, this one was on a tv and not of very good quality, so it was hard to watch. I was picked up by a new Cherry Blossom that I had never met before. She seemed very enthusiastic about Cherry Blossom and their philanthropy. We did their craft which was totally relatable, but kind of hard to do a good job while trying to hold a conversation, so I didn’t get a chance to finish mine. I was introduced to a few other Cherry Blossoms and was asked the same standard recruitment questions. I found these girls to be really nice, but there wasn’t a “click” factor this day.

Again we went to the student center and again I felt a rush of anxiety. My Pi Chi came up to me and asked if I needed to talk. I told her I did. I went over with her how I felt like I didn’t measure up at Orchid, or how Lilac had let me down, if I would fit in at Daffodil, how my feelings had changed about Sunflower – but that I still had reservations, the Hyacinths seemed great and the fun I had at Cherry Blossom but that something felt out of place. It felt good to get this all out to someone who could understand. Her advice was to go with my gut, not to let one person change my mind about a whole group.

It took me a while to rank because I couldn’t quite put them in order. This day, they seemed more jumbled than the day before! I ended up ranking:

1. Hyacinth
2. Orchid
3. Daffodil
4. Sunflower
5. Cherry Blossom
6. Lilac

I left feeling overwhelmed and like the process was too complicated. The next day I would only have a chance to go back to 4 houses tops and was worried that I wouldn’t have a full schedule or that I wouldn’t be able to go back to the ones I wanted to.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

ooooh! Now i'm rooting for Daffodil! Keep the story coming!
Old 04-15-2009, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Hahaha it is so funny how those two girls are named Frick and Frack! love your story
Old 04-16-2009, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Good for you for being open-minded enough to let Sunflower surprise you, despite your past experience. It sounds like you had a really supportive Pi Chi to walk through some things with you. I'm excited to hear more, and curious about the annoying Frick and Frack... *laugh*