GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,471
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, veasfrances2534

Old 05-12-2013, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Upperclassmen Recruitment

Should I even bother going through recruitment as a senior in college? I transferred to college last year and want to join a sorority, but don't know if I should since it's my senior year. Any advice?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-12-2013, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

It truly depends on your university as to how competitive recruitment is and whether seniors generally get bids or not. However, the only way you'll ever know for sure is to go through the process and enjoy it as much as possible.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Also, if you do go through recruitment as a senior, I would hope that you'd want to be involved as an alumna, too. Look into volunteer opportunities after graduation and speak of those during recruitment.

My chapter has initiated two seniors that I'm aware of. One of them joined basically because all of her roommates were sisters and so she obviously had a very strong connection to the chapter already. The other knew a sister or two going in, she emphasized her desire to be an advisor a year or two after graduation, and she wanted to join other alumnae in the area who were looking to start an alumnae chapter. She graduated, helped found that alumnae chapter, and she now serves on another chapter's advisory board.

Go through recruitment and see what happens. Just be aware that your options may be limited, and you may not receive a bid at all.

@~/~~~~
Old 05-12-2013, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I think that recruitment is a valuable interviewing experience, and you'll learn a lot that you can take with you as you interview for grad school/jobs. I personally don't think that a senior without sorority connections has a shot in hell, but I'm sure there are exceptions. One thing is for certain: you will not know unless you give it a try. Register for recruitment and remain open minded through the end.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks so much for all the advice!
Old 05-13-2013, 12:33 AM

I will make a blanket statement and say that if your school is in this thread, you probably shouldn't bother rushing unless you are Selena Gomez or someone amazingly famous. Not only is your chance of getting a bid small, you need to lay out quite a bit of $$$ for registration fees and appropriate outfits. If you've got it to burn, that's your prerogative.

However, if you're at a school where people can sign up the first day of rush, the fee is miniscule, and lots of people don't even think about pledging till they are sophomores, I would say go for it.

Last edited by 33girl; 05-18-2013 at 01:25 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 05-18-2013, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment is usually fun whether you end up pledging a chapter or not. You will make friends, build bridges to your school's greek community, and see some pretty chapter houses.

As a senior, you will have a level of ease and security that will help you to withstand the expected cuts. Some chapters will cut you after the first day. Some will cut you midway through the process. At the end, you might (if you are lucky) be left with 1-3 chapters, depending on your campus, that may have an interest in you. So just keep in mind the likelihood that most, if not all chapters will end up cutting you. Try to keep an open mind to any chapters that might want you. Remember that you are just meeting a handful of the women in that chapter.

Be sure to express to the members a stong interest in joining, that you wish to start contributing to the chapter ASAP, and that you are aware of the benefits of lifetime sisterhood.

Your chances are small but you will never know unless you try. It's a small risk for a potentially great reward.