GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,237
2 members and 1,235 guests
LaneSig

Old 10-01-2001, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to erniegurl00 Send a message via Yahoo to erniegurl00
So what is your rush story Tibi?
Old 10-01-2001, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

That's some Rho Chi!

ilovemyglo: I cannot believe that Rho Chi! What a story! Thanks for sharing.

Jen
Old 10-01-2001, 07:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking wow!!

what a story?
talk about things being meant to be....
mmcat
Old 10-01-2001, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

ILOV..(sorry if I can't remember your first name even though we've chatted before, lol!)

I am so glad that you are my sister. Like you, I only went to the AGD pref, but glad of it. Looking back, I'm not sure I would have liked the other sororities, except maybe one.

I'm surprised that they let the SK be a Rho Chi. I would have thought that she would have been eliminated due to her negative attitude!

Sisters/brothers and PNMs seem to forget that others knew them before Recruitment/Rush, for better or worse! Just remember that we represent the Greek system even on our worst days (which, hopefully are only once a year, lol)!
Old 10-02-2001, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Well at my school Rho Chi's are done differently. Each sorority is allowed to have up to four Rho Chi's and they decide on who they will be. So in my chapter we usually have four, but this past year we only had two. We get to vote on who it will be though, panhellenic doesn't decide, which is probably good because our panhellenic is very biased.
And you are right, I hate knowing that someone will meet me on one of my really off days and think that AGD is really like that. I just hope rush is never one of those days!.

Facebook
Old 10-03-2001, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Tech APhi--what was your rush like at Tech? TechADPi told me her's and I love hearing about them!
Old 10-03-2001, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Arrow I'd be happy to...!

I'll compose it offline post it soon. I'm hoping my journals will refresh my memory!

Jen
Old 10-04-2001, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Tech APhi---I can't wait to read it! I posted my Rush story last night in an ADPi forum but I'll repost it here:

When I went through Rush ('93) I knew I wanted to be in one of the "Alpha" sororities---AXO,
A-Phi, or ADPi. They seemed to be the most down to earth and have the strongest sisterhoods in
my opinion. From what I had heard from my fraternity friends, they were the "nice girls" of greek
circle. They didn't seem to be "cookie-cutter" sororities either which I really liked--and all did lots
of philanthropy. They also all seemed the most conservative and "classy"--in appearance and
actions --which impressed me. I rushed as a sophmore so I kinda had a feel for the sororities
before I Rushed. I have to say KKG, KAT, and Pi-Phi were also very classy/preppy girls too.
Things may have changed since then but that what it seemed like to me :-)

Chi-O, KKG, KAT, Tri-delt, ZTA, and Pi-Phi were all really nice but I rushed as a sophmore and
knew their "reputations" ahead of time and knew they weren't for me. They all had good
reps---they just didin't feel like "home". I don't know why but I never felt either way about DG,
KD, and Gamma Phi.

In the middle of Rush, I found out that one of my best friends from high-school's mom (Joyce)
was an ADPi at Tech in the 60's ....and I think that's what finally made my decision. I had grown
up with her son and always looked up to her. She had passed away the year before and it was a
surprise to everyone. The really cool part of the story is that when I was an Alpha, her
niece....who also went to my highschool...and was an ADPi at Southwestern....was in grad school
at Tech and was a chapter advisor at the time. During initiation--to my complete surprise---she
pinned me with Joyce's badge! It was so meaningful. I KNEW ADPi was where I was supposed
to be and just goes to show that everything works out for a reason :-)

Here's another funny story about how I know I was meant to be an ADPi: Last March I got
married and my new last name is "Pye!" How's that for coincidence. I keep telling my husband
that I married him for his name..he..he..he..
Old 10-04-2001, 08:49 AM
GreekChat Member

That is such a sweet story!! Thanks for making me smile on this dreary morning!
Lesley
Old 10-04-2001, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SparkliiQTMTSU Send a message via Yahoo to SparkliiQTMTSU
Aww that was a very sweet story. I just found out that one of my best guy friend's mom was a KD at MTSU and she will probably write me a rec!! I love her so much too! I really want to be a KD and hopefully her rec will help!

Nichole
Old 10-05-2001, 08:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AOIIAngel
I love these stories! They are wonderful! I almost wish my rush was as involved as everyone elses, but we only had two nationals on campus-AOII and AGD. Goodness what a choice that was! But like everyone says, you truly find where you should be!
Old 10-06-2001, 08:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Good stuff

Keep it up...
Your remembrances are wonderful.
mmcat
Old 10-12-2001, 09:05 PM

Well Ok, the Hooties have heard this before but I will share my story....
I rushed in the Fall of 1990 at Kent State, which is a big school (about 30000 at that time) with a tiny greek pop. (4% in '90.) We had six nationals:

Alpha Phi
Alpha Xi Delta
Chi Omega
Delta Gamma
Delta Zeta
Sigma Sigma Sigma

Tri-sig was new that year and they did not actually participate in formal rush, but they counted in the quota figuring, so it was going to be a bit tight. I had a heads-up on what the chapters were like from an older student and she was pretty accurate. I remember having a really cool rho chi I thought she was so pretty and so cool, and she hung out with all these older, pretty rho chis. I was sooooo excited about rush and I already had things narrowed down in my mind but I tried to go into it with a good attitude.

1st party:

My first house was Alpha Phi. TOTALLY blew me away. They came out of the house singing this cute little song and all wearing these identical sailor dresses (the DGs weren't happy about that) and I just loved them instantly. I had heard that they were one of the 3 elites and they sure were!!!

After that, I went to the others.....DZ had a beautiful new house and they were really really sweet, very eager and really made me feel good, but they were not for me. DG gave me the same basic feeling as Alpha Phi.....and I must admit going in they were my #1 choice.....I was really into the whole anchor thing. See, my dad owns a company that does underwater work, and I have always grown up around nautical things....he always had anchors and ships wheels and such around the house. But they were a great house too....all really pretty, very confident, just quite impressive. AXiD was a middle-of-the-road house....very laid back, really cool girls....I wanted to get to know a couple of them a little better, but I wasn't sold on them yet. Chi O was pretty much like Alpha Phi and DG.....a bunch of overwhelmingly pretty, confident girls...I liked them right away but I was not so impressed with their party. I forget the theme but it came off like they were trying to be TOO laid back. Anyway, I got invited back everywhere, and so I had to cut DZ.

Second party I went back and tried to get to know the girls better. Once again, APhi and DG had really impressive parties but I didn't have any better handle on the actual girls. A girl I went to high school with but didn't know well monopolized me at APhi, and the girls I was interested in talking to at AXiD were busy elsewhere. I was very impressed with all of the girls I met at Chi O even though I thought their party theme was stupid...(something about a train...) I also wasn't thrilled with the owl thing, I liked the anchor idea a lot more, but the girls were just too awesome for me to eliminate them. In the end I got invited back everywhere again and I dropped AXiD.

Third party was when things started to go wrong. I was soooo confused over the 3 I liked. I was extremely impressed with the girls at DG and Chi O, and Alpha Phi looked good but I wasn't meeting anyone but this one girl from high school. As it turned out we got rained out that night, I only got to go to the DG party that night before 3rd got cancelled due to severe weather. My rho chi called me and said, "I don't know what's going to happen, but in case they don't reschedule I need your top 2 now." I barely hesitated before saying "Chi O and DG." She said she'd let me know and call me back. They did end up cancelling 3rd altogether and we had to go get our invites for pref the next day. Well I got mine, but something was wrong.....it said Chi O and Alpha Phi, not DG. I was dumbfounded. I didn't say anything, assuming that DG had cut me....I was crushed and embarrassed, but as I thought about it more over the course of the day I decided I really liked Chi O and Alpha Phi better than DG anyway. So just when I was all set to go to those houses, my rho chi calls me and tells me that there was a mix up.....I did not get cut at DG. What did I want to do? Who was I dropping, Chi O or APhi? I shocked her by telling her I was leaving it as is.....drop DG. She was stunned but she went along with it. (Actually, I was convinced that she was a DG....in fact I was very confused when she called me because she did not sound very happy to tell me that DG didn't cut me. I thought this was odd because I thought she liked me and wanted me as a sister.) So anyway I go to pref and AGAIN I am with this girl from high school at Alpha Phi. She gave me this letter that went on and on about how they wanted me for a sister, and how well I fit in, etc. etc. And it swept me away. And as beautiful as the Chi O party was, I suddenly wasn't getting good vibes from them. They seemed a little distant, standoffish. I thought, "OhmyGod, they don't want me!" The girl who rushed me was very sweet but the overall vibe there was scary. And so, crushed and confused, I went back and signed my card with Alpha Phi as my 1st choice. I went home and cried....had I done the right thing? Would I be happy there? I had been so unsure through the whole thing, and then finally 4th Chi O seemed so awesome, but then I was afraid I was not one of their top choices and let this girl I barely knew push me into APhi. I felt I would probably fit in there but I was worried that I had not really met anyone else.....what if they didn't pick me? I was sure XO was going to dump me and then I'd get nothing. I should have gone back to DG!!!!! Well to make an incredibly long story short, I went to get my bid the next day.....I was just so happy to have one!!! I figured it would be Alpha Phi and I was resigned to that....I opened the card....

The sisters of Chi Omega cordially invite you......

I screamed....I couldn't believe it!!!! Somehow it had worked out!!!! And to make matters even better, ALL those rho chis, including mine, that I liked so much were ALL Chi Os......so there you have it.
Old 10-13-2001, 01:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SparkliiQTMTSU Send a message via Yahoo to SparkliiQTMTSU
Aww ErikaXO that was a really sweet story!! I absolutly love hearing all these rush stories! I cant wait to hear more!!

Nichole
Old 10-13-2001, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Amen

perfect for a saturday morning
cheers
mmcat