GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,170
5 members and 2,165 guests
Cookiez17, PGD-GRAD, Xidelt

Old 07-02-2002, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

rush budget?

what is your fall rush budget?

this will be my first fall rush on the other side, and i'm co-chair of the rush comities anyway, i was wondering how much all of your chapters usually spend on rush?
ours is small...but a generous alumni doubled it. we try to get lots of sponsors so we can still have events and food. there is a chapter of phi psi in texas that was telling us at a rush workshop that their rush budget is $120,000.00! i could not believe it.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-02-2002, 12:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Big Money

Yeah, I have actually seen some of the other chapter's buget summary. Some over $100,000 and some right at $1000. Our chapter usually spends between $1500-$3000, depends on what we do. The chapters down in Texas know how to keep money comming so that in return they can spend. I guess the saying is true "Everything is Bigger and Better in Texas"
Old 07-02-2002, 08:55 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm just wondering....WHAT ON EARTH do you do for rush that costs 100K?? I mean seriously, what sort of party do these chapter put on?
Old 07-02-2002, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Good Lord, what the hell are they going to do with $120,000? I think that is kind of ridiculous. I think recruitment events need to focus more on socializing and less on material things.

Our Rush during Formal Recruitment costs less than $100. I don't remember what our budget is. We have sign ups for food, decorations, and costumes so we don't go out and buy very much. Most of our money is spent on Greek packets, flyers, and banners.
Old 07-02-2002, 09:35 AM

I know that the fraternities on my campus spend a LOT... I don't think it's in the $100K range, but some fraternities hire a limo for rush, a lot of fraternities serve lobster and/or steak dinners, etc., and all that gets pricey.

Sororities had a budget capped at $2400 (it may have gone down since I graduated). Most sororities spent around that much... we had a "medium frills" rush, and we often bought items (shirts, decorations) that we would reuse year after year.
Old 07-02-2002, 09:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
At my school, our rush is between $300-$500 total. Not a huge deal, because we have no frills recruitment. No costumes, no elaborate decorations, no major food. At the colony I advise, they cannot spend more than $800 on recruitment, $400 of which is food. BUT, they can use anything from their homes that they want, and it doesn't count in the budget.

With $120K, I could throw a killer recruitment party...like for instance invite Dave Matthews to sing!
Old 07-02-2002, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shadokat
With $120K, I could throw a killer recruitment party...like for instance invite Dave Matthews to sing!
Can I come?
Old 07-06-2002, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Our rush budget was just a little bit over 7000 dollars this summer. Of that about half went to the professional design of our rush brochure (very cool...small 3X5 spiral bound, set up to be kinda like a text book...check out http://beta.unl.edu to get a feel for it "kinda".)Luckily we were able to find a sponsor to pay for the printing, otherwise it would have taken up the rest of the budget.

Otherwise the rest of the budge it spent mainly paying the rush chairmen for driving to see rushees during the summer. They get the standard mile charge that is determined by the IRS as to how much wear and tear a car recieves...I think it is somewhere around 34 cents a mile. Also the rush budget pays for taking rushees out to dinner/golf and what not, as well as food at events. We usually save money by having one rush party at the house of a local alumni, and at other events by having girlfriends bake desserts.
Old 07-06-2002, 02:48 AM
Super Moderator

As competitive as Rush is on our campus... as treasurer I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-08-2002, 01:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Tiny Budget

At my school (Rockhurst), we have a rush budget of about $500 in the fall and $700 in the spring (we have deferred rush). This sounds like a tiny amount, but even for our chapter is the largest it's ever been.

In the fall, we spend about $300 for rushees to go paintballing, and the rest to supplement our rush brochure (which the rest of the expense covered by alumni donations). We usually pledge 3-7 guys.

In the spring, we spend about $700 primarily on a blue chip dinner for 30-35 guys to have a prime rib meal. Of those guys, we usually get 20-25 guys in the spring.

We haven't just gotten numbers either. We've initiated 100% of the men we've pledged, and these awesome guys have been varsity athletes, outstanding campus leaders, and have a cumulative GPA of around a 3.2.

So for $1200, you can get 30 great guys! Just kidding, but we've been able to do it through superb one-on-one rush and by having a few, really awesome events. Hope this helps.