GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,701
3 members and 2,698 guests
PGD-GRAD, Sarak24034

Old 08-06-2007, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Moral choices

You are standing at a railway switch. Suddenly, you notice a runaway trolley headed toward a fork in the track. Just beyond the fork stand five workers—four to the right, one to the left—unaware of the car’s approach. If you do nothing, the car will take the fork to the right and kill four people. If you pull the switch, the car will veer left and kill a single worker. Quick. Do you pull the switch?

Now imagine a second circumstance. You are standing on a footbridge above a stretch of railroad track. Suddenly, you notice a runaway railcar approaching five workers on the track. Their death is imminent; they have no hope of avoiding the car. Next to you stands a large man; large enough that if you were to push him off the bridge onto the tracks he would stop the trolley. He would face certain death, but would prevent the death of five others. Do you push him off the bridge?

If you answer differently or the same for both, please share your moral reasoning.
~ Luke 19:10
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-06-2007, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Not sure if you just want Alpha replies but...

In both situations, I believe I would just leave it alone. It's not for me to decide who lives or dies. In the second situation, especially...how do you KNOW that guy is going to stop the train? What if you push him off and miss? Then you've just wasted an extra life.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

I ain't touching this with a 10 foot pole.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 08-07-2007, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Let God

I don't think that I could take a life to save another. However, I do believe that God can step into impossible situation if we only have faith.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I would throw the switch so that it would head towards the one railroad operator. My idea is this, I would not kill the guy on the bridge because he has nothing to do with the situation below. The workers are all aware of the risks that they take in performing the job that they perform; so they, and not some random passerby, should assume that risk. There is also something to be said about saving the most lives possible.

Of course, as I threw the switch I would be screaming as loud as I could, look out, look out, and trying to get the one guy to move away, and in my scenario, the workers buddies call him back before he gets hit.

Professor, Alpha Frog what do you say to the idea that you are at that switch for a reason; that you are the instrument through which God might be working at that moment?
Old 08-08-2007, 08:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little32 View Post
Professor, Alpha Frog what do you say to the idea that you are at that switch for a reason; that you are the instrument through which God might be working at that moment?
God better be shouting loud and clear that this is his intent. I do believe that in that situation, if God wanted you to get involved, there would be a strong "calling" to do so.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little32 View Post
I would throw the switch so that it would head towards the one railroad operator. My idea is this, I would not kill the guy on the bridge because he has nothing to do with the situation below. The workers are all aware of the risks that they take in performing the job that they perform; so they, and not some random passerby, should assume that risk. There is also something to be said about saving the most lives possible.

Of course, as I threw the switch I would be screaming as loud as I could, look out, look out, and trying to get the one guy to move away, and in my scenario, the workers buddies call him back before he gets hit.

I hadnt' really thought to factor in the "they knew it was dangerous when they took it" risk factor.

Situation 2 is much easier to handle. You don't push the man. If you can determine that a single life can save the people, why would you push the guy and not, instead, jump yourself and save the people? ...I guess it's easy to be selfless when someone else would be doing the dyin'.
~ Luke 19:10
Old 08-08-2007, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB06 View Post
Situation 2 is much easier to handle. You don't push the man. If you can determine that a single life can save the people, why would you push the guy and not, instead, jump yourself and save the people? ...I guess it's easy to be selfless when someone else would be doing the dyin'.
What if you're 100 lbs soaking wet, and wouldn't stop the train?

I personally don't have that problem, but just sayin'.